Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Day 123 - Oct 1, 2008

Well, you wouldn't even know that the last few days even happened if you were to see Kevin today. It's just amazing, really. And he hasn't even had one tiny bit of pain medication today. He has two incisions, one in his head and one in his belly and only made a grimace when someone touched the one on his belly to roll him over. That's it - it's like nothing happened. We are even back up in his old room - no more ICU.

So to start the day, he woke up this morning and seemed fine. I was concerned because his head had actually gotten bigger through the night so the neurosurgeon came in and adjusted the flow on the shunt. As time progressed, the size hasn't gotten any larger and it is actually starting to decrease as of this evening.

The most awesome thing though - Kevin spoke some words today. He has been back to his own funny self and he has been just blurting out words all day. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to be able to repeat the words yet, but if he can say them once or twice, eventually he will say them naturally. (right?)

So let's see, first he said "what?" after he snorted at me and I razzed him for making noises at me. He rolled his hand up and said "what?" to make it appear that he didn't hear or see anything. Trying to make me look like I am hearing things. The little shit.

Then I told him I was gonna kiss him if he didn't say a word and he was laughing and pulling back and he said "NO" plain as day. Breeze and I got him to repeat that one once, but he won't say it anymore. I gotta say - the look on his face was priceless. He was shocked that he said it.

He also told Breezy to "Stop" when she was doing something to make him laugh. I wasn't there for that one, but he did repeat it tonight, just not nearly as clear I guess.

I am very excited by these things. I can't wait til tomorrow to see what Kathryn, our speech pathologist has to say. I really think that as the size of his head is reduced, he will be able to say more and more.

I also have to admit that he is addicted to cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory. I had to run to the mall tonight to get my phone fixed and mentioned I would get him some. His eyes lit right up and I had to read him all of the flavors and he picked out 2. Turtle and Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. I sure hope Kathryn allows him to eat tomorrow. He will be pretty upset if not...

So there you are. My own personal superhero! Actually, I am pretty lucky because both of my kids are superheroes. Maybe I'll buy them capes for Halloween, lol.

And speaking of Halloween, Breezy and I stopped at the Dollar Store tonight and bought him all kinds of decorations for his room. I even bought him a mask so that we could trick or treat in the hospital, lol. Hmmm...I wonder if I can get him to say "trick or treat"...

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Leslie!!! I amm so thankful that the surgery went well and Kevin is doing better today!! Praise God for that! I sure hope he can eat the cheesecake tomorrow...keep up the good work...you are an awesome mother and Breezy an awesome sister!!
May God continue to bless you all!
Brenda A.

Anonymous said...

Thank God! What a relief. Thanks for letting us know how he is, even though you're exhausted! I'm so glad he doesn't seem to be in a lot of pain.

Maybe his next word will be cheesecake! I think the restaurant should give it to Kevin for free; he deserves it (and could use some fattening up!) LOL! And I think you deserve a superhero cape, too!

Jodi said...

Hi Les,

Wow, what awesome news!!! I knew he was going to be okay from this last setback! All 3 of you are superhero's!! Never doubt or forget that! You are amazing and wonderfully strong people, and you got thru it, TOGETHER!! YEAH!!!!

I have tears of happiness running down my face because Kevin is saying more words. That means the world to me and that he is talking and joking with you two! I am so happy for all of you....

I wish I could say more, but I am overwhelmed with emotions right now and can't see what I am typing very well..lol, so I am going to say goodnight and I love all of you!!!

Healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
Strength for Leslie and Breezy.
Safe thoughts for all military personnel.
Big hugs and lots of love for all of you!!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Anonymous said...

Very good news! Cheesecake sounds good. Take care Leslie!

Anonymous said...

I read your entire blog yesterday. I couldn't stop reading until the last entry. I found you through Matthew W.'s mother(not sure if it's okay to give his full name) on Caring Bridge. I found her through someone who knows Matthew on a soap opera message board. Go figure! I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through, but I thank you SO MUCH for sharing this portion of your life with all of us in the cyber-world. You are the mother of a true hero and I think that more Americans need to understand what is happening to our brave men and women...and their families. These soldiers don't just go away to war for a while & come back unscathed. Thank you for helping us to see the reality. I don't know you or Kevin or Breezy, but I will continue to check this site for updates daily, as I do with Matthew W, and I will NEVER forget ANY of you. Leslie, you and Breezy are also heroes. Both of you are so courageous and inspiring. You are dealing with circumstances that no one could possibly be prepared for. I have no doubt that you both have had a huge positive effect on Kevin's recovery process. I am amazed by the progress he's made!! I want to thank your family for the sacrifices you've made and the hardships you're enduring. I don't even have the words to tell you how grateful I am. THANK YOU!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

GREAT NEWS Les. I guess he just had a little fog from the fluid maybe? Glad to hear the surgery went well.
I am glad we don't have a cheesecake factor around here or my eyes would be lighting up too!
Love
Susan

Lisa Damrosch said...

I see three superheroes!

Vicki Chrisman said...

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! That is fantastic! I am so thrilled that things went so well today!
Super Heros x3!!!!

Jenny Adams said...

Hey Leslie - in my eyes YOU are the superhero here! Your post today has made my day!
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Well there are tears in a lot of eyes this morning. Tears of joy that you are on an upswing again.
Love to the 3 of you,

Unknown said...

Les, I am so glad to hear things are going better! Hope all goes well today and Kevin slowly continues to make progress. I will keep you 3 in my thoughts and prayers. Keep your strength. Love you all!
Diana

lori said...

leslie,
i am so happy for you, kevin and breezy. it is so excitng to read your blog and to hear the lift and excitement through your words. i will continue to pray that everyday you see new and exciting improvements from and for kevin.

what a blessing you have been to me. i will continue to remember you all as you continue on in this journey. day 123...unbelievable!! have a great day today!!

Holee said...

You might be able to get him to say BOO..sorry, I'm always thinking on the educational side of things. But B would be another sound for him to master.

Sounds to me like Kevin might have a hunger for candy..how about peanut butter cups or musketeer bars or Fudge!

Thank God for such a great day!

Jodi said...

Hey Les,
It was good talking to you this morning. I am sorry Kevin is having a rough morning. Hope the Doc has some positive news for you.
Hang in there! He will bounce back in no time! I wish I were there to give you a big hug and extra support! You and Kev and Breezy are in my thoughts constantly!

C'MON EVERYONE! Kevin and Leslie and Breezy need EXTRA prayers and thoughts and strength this Thursday morning!

Kevin, keep fighting kiddo! We are all out here praying, thinking, and pulling for you!!

EXTRA healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
EXTRA strength for Leslie and Breezy.
BIG HUGS and ALL MY LOVE to all 3 of you!!!!!!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Anonymous said...

That is amazing. I get tears in my eyes when I read your blog today (more then i usually do). I am so happy for you, him and breezy. I couldn't stop thinking about you guys the last couple of days. No one can actually say that they went through what you are going through. But my sister at the age of 16 was in a horriable accident and was in acoma for 6 months and had to relearn everything from talking to walking, they said she was like a new born baby. I pray for kevin daily and hope god hears me. I cant wait to see a picture of him in that mask for trick or treating and for sure by then he will be saying trick or treat. My day has changed knowing he is doing alot better. That package is coming soon. Lets go Steelers. Lori From Pittsburgh

Kris said...

You are ALL superheroes!! What great news. BIG sigh of relief!! I am pretty sure that I am addicted to Cheesecake Factory cheesecake too. YUM. Kevin, you have GREAT taste. Kathryn, Kevin NEEDS cheesecake!! :-)

Hope today is going even better than yesterday. Keep on talking Kevin! You're doing great and yes dude, you are a miracle, you are an incredible inspiration, you are an American Hero. God bless you all. We're all out here praying for you and praying with you! HUGS!!

- Kris, a Soldiers' Angel from RI

Anonymous said...

That makes my day that Kevin is doing so well agian. If you see this please tell kevin that I said "hey" and that I'm thinking of him. I can't wait 'til the day comes that I can see him again. haha the thought of Trick or treat reminded me of a trick I played when Bush was running for his second election. Kevin always said how much that he, you, and esp. Barry hated Bush. I drove around and collected all these Bush signs from peoples yards and put about 6 or 7 in your yard in Brady. I kept him goin about it for a couple weeks until i finally confessed about it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie, Glad the surgery went well. I read in awe at all the progress. Its wonderful,its really unbelievable all the good things that are happening. God is a work!!! Take care of yourself too. Martha K

Anonymous said...

Everyone's already said it, Superheros x3 for sure!!!!
So awesome to see prayers answered, that the surgery went well, and Kevin, the Miracle Man, is doing so well, surprising us every single day.
Leslie, you are such an example of strength and what a mother's and sister's love can do. Kevin is going to make it because of the strong bond of love which you and Breezy have - all three of you are totally AMAZING!!!
Nancy
Va. Beach