Saturday, October 25, 2008

Day 147 - Oct 25. 2008

Today was an extremely unusual day for Breezy and I. We kinda took the bulk of the day off and went to Busch Gardens. Tracy stayed with Kevin all day and from what I hear - they had a blast! But, before I get into everything about Kevin, I want to share a few BG pictures with you. We had a really great time and I think it helped us feel a little bit human for nearly a full day. This was a much needed respite as we are both feeling the pain of losing our home and I am glad Tracy was willing to give us this break. (and tomorrow Tracy and I are going to the beach and Breezy will be staying with Kevin - giving me almost a whole weekend break)

So the first pic is hilarious! The look on my face tells you that I am not much of an animal person, lol. Breezy, on the other hand has finally found a friend in Florida. Her name is Dolly, lol.





And moving on to Kevin, I guess he was in extreme mode today, lol. As a treat to the patients, the Star Wars characters came to the ward today. Kevin loved it! His eyes lit up as soon as Darth Vader came in (who was HUGE!). Kevin gave the little 'shotgun' finger salute to him and he razzed the Jedis and was truly enraptured of all the characters.

I was also told numerous times by the nurses tonight about Kevin singing and dancing in his bed while 5 nurses danced around his bed. I guess it was a heck of a party. Some of the nurses hadn't seen him in a while and were amazed at the progress he has made.

He did sit a total of 5 hours today in the chair and we are working on making it all day. We were invited to Disney World in early December for a 3 day weekend and we would like to go. I'm not sure about the whole 3 days, but even overnight would be awesome.

And I need to thank Chrissy and Drew for teaching Kevin a new quote the other day. Today, he clearly said "Hey you guys" from the movie "The Goonies". It seems like he can mimic movies and songs a lot easier than just say a word. If I am not mistaken, that's because the music and lyrics portion of the brain is located on the right side. I have heard that sometimes people can sing whole songs, but not say a word.

So here are the pictures I promised of Kevin standing up. I am giving you the play-by-play. He is wearing that 'sling' on his head to compress the fluid upwards and the first pic is him playing air guitar to an Atreyu song.













Pretty impressive, huh?

And to finish off, I wanted to let everyone know that Joel will be arriving on Monday! Finally!! It will be nice to have some friends living here and I am so glad he is well enough to finally get here! Yay!

And I know I have tons of questions that need answered, but I will get to them asap.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

I can't help but smile with each word I read tonight. I am so glad you and Brianna got to go to Busch Gardens and your new friend, Dolly, looks like she loves you both so much. I sure hope you all get to go to Disney World. What a very special treat that would be. All kids, big and small, love Mickey and the Magic Kingdom. There's just a real special feeling you get in the pit of your stomach, even as you are approaching the entrance on the tram. I'm so excited for you.

Kevin is an amazing person. I cannot believe all he can do and has achieved in such a short period of time. I am sure it seems like an eternity to you guys at times, but it was the very end of May this happened to Kevin. You sort of can't even count May..more like June and now it's only October. He can stand, he is learning so much and best of all...he can smile. When you think of it all and the condition he was in when this first happened, it is hard to believe all that you, Kevin and Brianna have achieved.

I know it is Kevin who is progressing, but without his two special gals..I am sure he would not be where he is today. You two are the best medicine he could ever ask for.

These pictures are so good, Leslie. I love when you give us the extra treat of the images with the story of the day.

The wonderful man who sent you the new camera we all should thank. We are all benefiting from the great shots it takes.

STAY STRONG..dear Florida gal. Just think, when we are all up here slipping, sliding and freezing our butts off, you, Kevin and Brianna will be nice and warm down in Florida with Mickey. ; )

Please tell Kevin how proud we are of him. Hi to Tracy too. I'm so glad she's there with you.

Praying for you all and will say even more prayers in church tomorrow. I do believe they are working. ; )

Alison said...

Oh my gosh! I just...there are no words. As I scrolled through the photos and watched him stand up, I noticed the look of determination on his face and in his body and MAN that is a fighter and a soldier in there!

Kevin - WAY TO GO!!!

I am just so happy to see these pictures, like Lisa said, he has come SO FAR and he is just getting better and better. What an amazing story so far.

And glad you got the day off to go to Busch Gardens. I can't imagine how great it was to get a chance to be away from the hospital for a little bit, and I'm sure Kevin is glad you guys got a bit of a break too.

Wow, just, wow! I hope the Disney trip comes through. :D

Thoughts and prayers,
Alison

Anonymous said...

PS...YAY Joel is coming. You will have your "new family" back with you again.

That is such wonderful news. : )

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
It sounds like you and Breezy got a chance for a little break and I'm
sure that Tracy and Kevin enjoyed
their time together. I hope that the three of you do make it to Disney World;it's such a beautiful
and magical place for everyone.
Thanks for posting the pictures;It
really makes my day to see the smiles and to see Kevin's daily progress.Keep up the good work Kevin !!!
Just a quick cookbook update...
we are still taking recipes for it
so if any of you reading this site
want to send a recipe or recipes...do it.Just think how
awesome this cookbook can be if everyone from all over send in a recipe,my e-mail is
ksimpson630@gmail.com.
thanks to everyone that has already submitted recipes !!
Kim S

Vicki Chrisman said...

Oh.. so so glad you getting a little break! Hope you have a great time.
I would do anything to see those nurses dancing around Kevins bed!! lol... oh..that is just tooo much!
Great photos of Kevin standing! WOO WOO

Jeff said...

Hey Leslie,
Great to see you and Breezy relaxing and having some fun, a much deserved respite. Kevin sure had a great day with Tracy that's so cool.
Thanks for sharing the pics of Kevin standing up, way to go Kev.
Have a great day at the beach today. I bet it will be nicer weather at the beach than what we will have here in Brady today.
Be well,
Jeff

Anonymous said...

It's so good to hear and see that things are better there! :) After some of your last posts that's exactly what I was thinking- You need a break from the hospital. I'm soo glad you went to Busch Gardens. I loved the picture with Dolly!!! :) It's wonderful to see Kevin standing! YEAH! Also I didn't realize how tall he is. :) I'm so happy that today was a fun day!
Have a great Sunday!
Kathy in Iowa

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

Once again I got all weepy after reading/seeing your blog this morning. My reaction is based on more than Kevin standing up, which is incredible just by itself. I am just so taken by the look on his face! He looks so determined and pleased with himself. He looks excited and interested. Wow. Once, again, Kevin made my day.

And Leslie, please tell that brave young son of yours that he looks fabulous in that vibrant red shirt!

Hugs,

Cathy M

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
I am so glad that you and Breezy got to have a relaxing day together...the two of you needed it.Kevin looks great! Keep up the great progress Kevin.
Cheryl Baumann

Anonymous said...

Great pictures today! I love that giraffe photo, too funny! Hope you had a good day at the beach today.

Kevin had a great day, too! It's amazing that he remembered that shotgun gesture. I can only imagine what kind of progress he'll have made by December!

I've been thinking and praying about Joel and was going to ask how he was doing. I'm so glad he's ready to transfer! It'll be so good for him and for you and Breezy.

The Rock said...

Leslie, I was amazed by Kevin's Progress! He looks so much better ! I will write him a letter tonight !

I was also glad to hear that you finally got a little Brake from the
" Hospital Routine ". I know how mentally draining it can be .
You are a strong woman!
God bless you
With Love
Petra

Jodi said...

Hi guys,

I just got back from hunting this weekend, and just read the posts.

Wow, Kevin, you are doing GREAT!!! I am so proud of you!!! You are an amazingly tough man and have improved so much! That is AWESOME!! Keep fighting kiddo, keep fighting!

Les and Breezy, I am so glad you two got some "away" time. Love the smiles (and freaked lol) looks on your faces!!

Les, THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting the pictures. Kevin looks wonderful and it absolutely warms my heart to see him playing air guitar and being so strong standing up! Thank you....

Here is to a great day tomorrow.
Healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
Strength for Leslie and Breezy.
Safe thoughts for all military personnel and strength for their families.
Big hugs and all my love to all 3 of you!!!!
Love ya!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi