Saturday, October 4, 2008

Day 126 - Oct 4, 2008

Kevin was in fine form all day today - which we love. It's always a great day when you are laughing throughout most of it.

Breezy spent some time this morning with Kevin teaching him how to write his name. I had planned to learn to write with my left hand along with Kevin, but this is something that Breeze can do while she is with him as she is left-handed. He actually is doing pretty well for having to start all over again. She is a very patient teacher and probably gets more excited than he does, lol.

Which brings us to some great news! Kevin can read!! Today we were listening to my IPOD while on our walk and Kev grabbed it out of my hand and scrolled through and picked an Atreyu song. Atreyu is a heavy metal band and I must have downloaded it for Kevin a while ago and forgot. I was shocked. I thought it might just been a fluke so tonight I had him scroll through and find some different bands. He got each one right. I am so dang happy! I was so afraid about this because I can't see how anybody can get by without the ability to read. I mean, you can't find your seat on a plane or read road signs or order from a menu or anything (and I'm sure these aren't the most important things, but they are all I could think of right now, lol).

Kevin also sneezed for the first time today. He was actually scared - he didn't understand what had happened. We had to chuckle at the look on his face and it was a good thing we did, because it made him realize that it was an ok thing to do.

It's so weird being where he is, kwim? I mean, here he is reading - but he doesn't know what a sneeze is. He can do so many 'adult' things, yet not understand other things that you learn as a toddler. It's hard sometimes because we just assume he is normal and just can't talk or move his right side. And each time he shows us something he doesn't understand, surprisingly, it comes as a shock. We then have to sit back and put our own heads into the right place. We have to remember that a month ago he did nothing but look at the ceiling.

Here's another instance that happened just today. We went to the store here in the hospital to buy an electric razor. We shopped all over every aisle and Kevin knew exactly what he was doing - he even went nuts in the candy aisle like normal. He wanted all these candy bars that I knew he couldn't handle yet, but I talked him down to M&Ms, figuring I could melt them slightly in the microwave. So he also picked out some pudding packs and we got to the front of the store where he put everything up on the counter from his lap. He did so well - he always did like to shop, lol. But then came paying for it. Kevin had no idea what that meant. He just sat there with a confused look on his face when I told him to use my debit card or he could use the cash in his wallet. He just had no concept whatsoever. Yes - it's not a big deal. And it will all probably come back in time - but here I am thinking this is a near normal trip to the store. The only difference is that Kev is strapped in a wheelchair and can't speak. But it's not - and that's what I need to keep reminding myself, I guess.

BUT - I am still fine with all of this. I really am. I am just so happy that he is where he is that it just makes me smile. I can't wait to see where we are in another month.

And speaking of another month - Maritza called and said they may be coming later this month. It will sure be nice to see a friendly face on a daily basis! I know I am struggling with loneliness here and I can tell you it's also hard on Breezy. She had all kind of new friends in TX, but there is no one her age here.

Oh well...we're tough - we'll make it!

8 comments:

Jodi said...

Hi Les,

Yes, all 3 of you WILL make it! Look how far you've gotten so far!
Such great news to hear all the "normal" stuff Kevin still remembers and can do. The rest will come in time. I have faith that it will! Sounds like you 3 had a wonderful day, and that is fantastic! I am so glad these "better" days are becoming more and more! AWESOME!

Kevin, great job on all your accomplishments kiddo!! I am so proud of you for fighting and getting better! Keep it up, and NEVER stop fighting!!

Les, I have a favor to ask of you....could you possibly get a picture with all 3 of you smiling?? I know everyone out here would love to see one!! Thanks! ;-)

Here is to another great day tomorrow!
Healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
Strength for Leslie and Breezy.
Safe thoughts for all military personnel.
Big hugs and all my love to all 3 of you!!!!!!
Love ya!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Larry Arnone said...

Hi Leslie,

I am so jazzed about hearing of Kevin fighting back and entering into a recovery that just sends me into a frenzy of excitement. I am so happy that he has entered into a new phase into his recovery. I read where he likes singing Bennie and the Jets and I have to say that song is one of my favorites. Sing at the top of your lungs Kev!Dude! dazzle them all with your Airborne abilities. You rock along with your family. Thank you for all you have sacrificed soldier.

Larry Arnone
San Francisco

Gretchen said...

Les, he has made such insanely amazing strides in the last month - of course he's not completely there yet - it's a PROCESS, but with the constant improvements that he's making, he WILL be - so far all the things you've described are things that he can LEARN. And if it's something that he can LEARN, then you can bet he will!!

Anonymous said...

you damn straight you're tough. you're herd people. drive on!

Anonymous said...

That's so amazing that Kevin can still read! Great news! I'm glad that he's in such good spirits and is motivated to learn and work at the things he needs to do to get better. I know you and Breezy have so much to do with where he is in his progress and with his positive mindset. You guys are awesome!

Unknown said...

Hi Les..

I've got Kevin's dominoes ordered. I also threw in three other things..I noticed you explained about the towel and his right hand. Mom had the same problem but the towels were sometimes hard on her hand so I ordered Kevin (2) 4" fleece balls..1 set of puffer balls and 1 color changing squeeze ball..

They said they should be there in 3 to 8 business days..Just let me know when they get there..

Also, do you think Kevin , you and Breezy would like some homemade mints ? I'm getting ready to start making them..these will melt in your mouths..

I usually make them for overseas and thought you'd like some..All flavors are up for grabs..LOL

Kevin..I'm so proud of you..
Brenda

Vicki Chrisman said...

Reading??? THat's huge! Fantastic!
I was just thinking the same thing.. think what all has happened in the last month! Wow!

Anonymous said...

hi Les,

les i have not posted for a while but i just want you to no that you breezy and kev are the strongest people i no. kev has always been they type of person that the harder it was the harder he tried. my point to this post is i have video tape laying around from me and anthony skate boarding and being just plain stupid. some of it has kev in it. i was wondering if you think it would be a good idea to put a tape together and send it to you guys. also i have some skate videos on dvd that kev might be interested it. you can let me no by emailing me at c.l.wells4@iup.edu or just have kim tell me what you think.