Thursday, October 16, 2008

Day 138 - Oct 16, 2008

Today was an awesome day! First, Kevin's head is smaller that it has ever been and thankfully - there is no real pain anymore. We did start a new spasticity medication yesterday so most of those are gone now too.

We did go to the gym today and Kevin sat up (with hardly any pain) for a full 20 minutes! The last time we tried this he only made it 10 minutes and he was in pain pretty badly. We did something different today too - we bore weight on his right arm. In other words, we had him lean his body onto his right arm. He did really well with this and I even have a pic to show you (of course he was hamming it up, lol):



He sure looks great, doesn't he?

So after therapy we went back to the room and my sister and Joe were already there and Kev was so excited! I think he is loving having all of these family members around. The only person we haven't gotten here yet is my dad and he will be coming in December.

And to top the day off, Kev and myself, Kim and Joe all went to a banquet tonight. Yes - even Kevin went. It was located in the hospital and it honored the wounded heroes. Y'all just won't believe what that was like! When we got there, they put us at a head table (more because Kev's chair takes up a lot of space) and Kev was really scoping the place out. Well, this guy and his wife happened to sit down at the table with us and when he and Kevin looked at each other, Kevin's eyes lit up with recognition and I swear - the look of glee on his face made me get teary. I didn't understand what was going on at first, but when Kevin kept looking at this guy and this guy started calling Kev's name as he got up to come to us, I realized they knew each other. Apparently they were together in Germany and went on a road trip to Ramstein. I can't tell you how many emotions flit across Kevin's face at that moment, but within seconds, he sat up straighter, got that soldier glint in his eyes and shook hands with that man, Ortiz I think was his name, with such force that I truly was turning away crying.

I wish I could explain why this touched me so much, but it was like Kevin was remembering a vital part of who he was. Who he is. And from that moment on, Kevin did sit up straight - for more than 2 hours - and he shook hands with generals and allowed all types of pictures to be taken.

And let me tell ya - he ate like a horse! He ate steak and chicken and bread and potatoes and pie and a cookie and then he came back and had cheesecake too. And truthfully, he ate BBQ ribs and a cinnamon roll right before going down.

So now I am going to share two pictures with you that will show what Kevin's head looks like on the right side. Mind you, the quality of these is horrible because they were pics taken at the banquet and printed out there on an inkjet printer and I used my camera to take a pic of them. I don't have access to a scanner here. The first is Kevin with Ortiz and the second is him and I.

Before scrolling down, think about whether you can handle seeing the pics. Please remember that Kevin does not have a skull on that side and his head is sunken in at the top and he has a huge sac of CSF right above his ear. It is not easy to look at if you are not a person that can handle these kinds of things.

I have put space between my words here and the images so you don't have to see them if you choose not to. Just close your browser now.

I personally feel he looks fantastic, but I have seen him look worse. And I have also seen the looks he receives while we are out and about at the hospital.










27 comments:

Vicki Chrisman said...

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!! I man.. what a great day! Just look how far things have come. That kid of yours is a fighter!!!!

Lisa Damrosch said...

You know what I see in those photos? I see a beautiful smile...on the face of a hero.

I also see a mother and son that I've never met, but who have become a part of my daily life and who have moved and inspired me.

Thank you for sharing your story...Kevin is remarkable and so are you.

Alison said...

He looks great!! Way to go Kevin!

Just seeing the smile on his face as he's hamming it up for the camera and interacting with his friends and with you is wonderful. I think he looks fantastic, and seeing the extent of his injury for the first time has made me realize that he's come SO INCREDIBLY FAR in his recovery. What an amazing...wow. WOW. I really don't have words. What a fighter!!

And good to hear he ate tons of food. He'll be gaining weight in no time and muscle from being able to work out...oh I'm so excited for all of you!!

Thoughts and prayers from SoCal,
Alison

Anonymous said...

Clark is here for a week of R & R leave from Iraq; he says "Kevin looks great (I agree) and Leslie hasn't changed a bit". He remembers you and going to your place on Rt. 210; playing with Breezy (and Kev, who was pretty young) and watching "Police Academy". He can't get your blog in Iraq but I've emailed him a few times about Kev's miraculous recovery process. Tell Kev he really impressed Clark with his progress.

Jan said...

I agree with the others, Kevin is looking good! I'm so thrilled for both of you. What a glorious evening. I feel I've gotten to "know" Kevin from this post more than any other.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the current pictures. It is a blessing to see the joy on Kevin's face. Seeing the two later pictures really shows how the Lord has sustained Kevin's life and how He is in the healing process for Kevin. I am so thankful and so happy for you all.

Also, how wonderful that Kevin is eating like he is . . . typical guy! He better watch out or he will have to go on a diet! Ha! It is amazing seeing the weight gain from you first posted picture to these. YAAAAA!

I loved hearing you describe his recognition of his friend from Germany. Awesome.

Continuing to pray for recovery here in Maine.

Ruthie B.

Gretchen said...

Les, I'm just so happy for both of you - for every minor setback, Kevin moves forward about twenty steps. It's just so inspiring to read about. The photos of him are particularly amazing when you look at his face - he's perfectly fine and happy, even though his skull is missing. WOW! Talk about a fighter. He really is an incredible person!!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with everyone. I also see the beautiful smile on the face of a true hero. A hero, who is not only a hero because he is in the military, a hero who has fought so hard to overcome and who truly should be an inspiration to everyone. And Leslie, you and your family have gone through so many steps forward, so many steps backward, and you have endured beautifully. I,too, have followed your story, since first seeing it on KDKA to my daughter traveling to San Antonio with the church in Kittanning (some day I will write you a letter about her ordeal before getting to San Antonio) to every day just starting my day, reading and praying for your son. I work at the VA in Pittsburgh and have told many veterans and employees Kevin's story and have directed them to your website. I can't wait for you all to come back to Western PA and get the chance to shake Kevin's hand and give him a hug.....
Hallie

Anonymous said...

He looks great - it is good to see him in clothes - that always makes patients feel better. What a happy kid - with all he's been through and he still has a smile like that. It must make you feel great to be able to take him out to something like that.
Keep up the good work Kev.

Anonymous said...

What a great way to end the day! An evening out, seeing an old friend and CHEESECAKE!! I shed some tears of joy right along with you. You both look fantastic and that thumbs up Kevin is doing is hilarious. Your family is a mighty inspiration!
Mel

Jodi said...

WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!
Kevin looks fantastic! I love that picture of him on his right arm. That smile says it all! Such a handsome and happy young man. And the other two pictures, even better! I see A HERO, A FIGHTER, A WINNER! Thank you, thank you so much for posting them! You don't know how much it means to me to see him doing better and improving, and most of all, smiling! Okay, lol, I am crying like a baby, but they are all tears of joy! He looks great!! And geez, what an appetite! LOL That is great too! Keep eatin' Kev! Eat all you want! :-)

I am so happy you guys had such a great day! And trust me, there are so many more to come! Thank you for sharing them with us. You make my day!

Here is to another fantastic day!
Healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
Strength for Leslie and Breezy.
Safe thoughts for all military personnel.
Big hugs and all my love for all 3 of you!!!!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Kris said...

I second what Lisa (and everyone!) said. Kevin, Leslie & Breezy, you're ALL heroes. You're all incredibly strong, courageous, determined. You are all just remarkable and awe-inspiring.

Thank you for sharing these pictures with us. Kevin looks fantastic, CSF sac or not! His smile is infectious. His smile made me cry tears of joy right here at my desk this morning! Yes, miracles do happen, I was looking at one on my computer screen.

So glad you all had an awesome evening. I'm so glad to know that they have these events for our wounded warriors. Gosh they should be honored all day every day for what they have all done for us. And so should you Leslie & Breezy.

God bless you all, and I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. Keep up the great work Kevin!!! We're all out here praying for you and cheering you on every step of the way!!!! I hope to be able to meet you all and shake your hands some day.

- Kris, a Soldiers' Angel from RI

Anonymous said...

Oh,Leslie, I am always moved by your posts but this one has touched me so deeply. I can barely see what I am typing due to the tears. I hate to be repetitious, but I agree with all the other posters. Kevin is a truly amazing young man; I am so thrilled for you; you must be just floating after such a wonderful day. Heaven knows you deserve it! Kevin looks fantastic to me. I can't wait for him to return home, so that East Brady can throw him the biggest celebration this town has ever seen. What a day that will be! Love you, Sherri

Anonymous said...

He looks amazing, Leslie! And the man he is with is Ortiz. He is a great man, and I'm so thrilled Kev recognized him!!! I'm so happy for you guys!

Anonymous said...

That smile is PRICELESS!

Love you guys, the Stimacs

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you and especially for Kevin! I can't stop crying tears of joy after reading this post. Keep fighting the fight! God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

If you are able to correct it the guy's name in the pic is Ortiz. Thank you for sharing the pictures with us!

TTYS

Jon

Anonymous said...

This is amazing. He looks wonderful. My boyfriend Justin grew up with Kevin, and he always tells me stories of how Justin would go across the river in east brady to ride bikes with him, some of them are so funny.

I made a few purchases at the yard sale outside of Friedman's market over the summer to benefit the hospital costs and other payments. It was so nice to see everyone come together for such a great cause.


My prayers are with you and Kevin. I'm glad to see he's going well.

Anonymous said...

What great pictures. It is so good to see that smile. He looks wonderful. I am going to be without a computer for a few days. I am going to really miss reading these posts. Keep fighting, Kevin.. and you keep protecting him, Leslie. God bless all of you. We continue to pray for all three of you. Melissa Ion

Anonymous said...

Leslie, My TWO heros. Honey what a picture. All I can say is I love the pictures that you share with us and I pray 24-7 for all of you. My computer has been as stuborn as me and it is working when it wants too. Just know I love ya all. Pam

Anonymous said...

What an awesome post!

My heart overflows for you and Kevin. He is such an amazing young man! Thank you for sharing the pictures. When I look at the them, I really don't notice his head for long because he immediately captivates me with his smile, courage, and love for life.

You are a beautiful mother, Leslie...God Bless and know that many are praying for your son and all his family.

Kathie a Soldiers' Angel from Natrona Heights

Anonymous said...

Yeah I'd say kevin is lookin like his old normail self again. Really can't wait to see that pain in the ass again, haha.
Karl Vaughn

rebekahweckerly@gmail.com said...

WOW!! What improvements!! It has been a while since I checked in and I am thrilled to see how well Kevin is doing! What a great smile!!!!!! Major hugs to you both!!

Rebekah Robinson

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an awesome experience for Kevin to have at the banquet. That's so cool that he recognized the other soldier. That story made me choke up, too! He looks great and I'm glad to see the sparkle in his eyes.

Praise God that most of his pain seems to be gone. That's certainly an answer to prayer.

Anonymous said...

He looks great! Love that smile!
Megan

Anonymous said...

He looks so good and happy. I am glad he is doing so well.
Love
Susan

Anonymous said...

I think that he looks wonderful! Tears of joy knowing that he is doing so well came to my eyes! What a hero he is in more ways than one!!!
Randa
Fillmore Utah