Thursday, October 2, 2008

Day 124 - Oct 2, 2008

Today wasn't quite as good as yesterday, but it wasn't too bad of a day. His head does seem to be a little bit bigger, and we did go for another CT scan, but we don't have the results from this yet. They may have to tap his head again tomorrow and drain more fluid - we aren't sure yet.

He is also running a low-grade temp - hopefully it's not working up to an infection.

We are also having an issue with him vomiting nearly every morning after his 9am meds. The docs and I went over all of the meds that he is getting at that time of the day and we have decided to wean him off 3 of them. They are his spasticity, seizure and H.O. (bone growth is his right hip) meds. I am concerned a little bit about all 3 of them being removed, but they assure me that the amounts he was getting were such low doses that it shouldn't matter. I have to admit - I am most scared of the seizure medication being removed. We have not had any and I don't want him to.

So Kev was pretty lethargic this morning and that is typically caused from the CSF not draining and the CSF building back up in his head causing pressure on his brain. It scared me because we just fixed his shunt and it may mean that it's still not working.

He did get better this afternoon though and at one point he even grabbed his toothbrush and used it as a microphone and sang "Bennie and the Jets", lol. It was hilarious. And believe it or not, we could even tell what he was singing.

Chrissy and Drew came today also and we all sang "Happy Birthday" to Chrissy. Kevin sang too and it was a nice 'family' moment. Maybe the next birthday Kev can have cake!

So I have some pictures. The first one is Kevin drinking some Gatorade. We chuckled over his pinkie sticking up like he is at a high society tea or something, but it's actually because it had been splinted for so long that it won't bend now. We are working on that.



This next picture would be my favorite if it wasn't so blurry. I love to see him smile and I am so disappointed that it is blurry. I have been using my phone to take these pics as Breezy had my camera and that's why the quality isn't the best. (of course the blurriness is human error, lol - we were laughing at something he did so I wasn't still enough for a clear shot)



That pretty much sums up the day so I am going to sign off. Kev just fell asleep and I want to head home.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

its good to see him smile i can only imagine how great it makes you guys feel! if i write kev a letter would you read it to him? even if he may not remember me yet it would still be nice to know that he's heard what i want him to hear.

take care guys!

Holee said...

He looks great and it is wonderful to see him smile! He seems to be holding onto the towel. I hope this means he is getting some movement out of the right arm?

I'll keep praying for the shunt problem to be solved. It seems the more fluid that drains the more words & sounds he can make. It seems more & more that it's all in there & all he needs is more healing time..of course we are all in a hurry for him to be well sooner.

Take time to enjoy the weather. It's only 45 here and the leaves are turning fast!

Jodi said...

Hi Guys!
I am so glad to hear Kev is feeling and doing better than he was this morning. I was so worried all day. I hope tomorrow is a better day.

THANK YOU so much for the pictures of Kevin, especially of him smiling!! That is so awesome!!! I have tears of joy running down my face, and I love it.

You all are so amazing!!! Such a strong and loving family. It is what has gotten you thru this ordeal, and will continue to help Kevin heal. Thank you for sharing with all of us out here.

Here is to a great day for Kevin tomorrow!
Healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
Strength for Leslie and Breezy.
Safe thoughts for all military personnel.
Big hugs and all my love to all 3 of you!!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Vicki Chrisman said...

Oh that SMILE is fantastic! I can only imagine.. as a mother ..how much you must love that!
He is just improving more and more every day!

Anonymous said...

Wow, he looks like he's doing well, stay strong

Anonymous said...

LOVE that smile! Even if the pic is a littlwe blurry - the smile shines right through!

So glad you are having some fun family moment.

Hope the weaning of the meds help, and that teh days continue to show Kevin's progress.

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

The last picture...blurry or not...makes tears run down my cheeks.

Kevin looks WONDERFUL...just WONDERFUL !!! His smile...makes us all smile right back at him.

I can only imagine, after seeing this beautiful image, how you and Brianna must have felt the very first time you saw him smile.

Praying that the pressure he has to be feeling in his head is relieved by the healing hands of the doctors who will help him. He has to be feeling a little strange.

The love and dedication of Kevin's Mother and Sister and the love, positive thoughts and prayers of his many blogging friends...look at how far Kevin has come.

Matthew 18-20

~~ "Where two or three are gathered together in My name - That is, to worship Me. I am in the midst of them - By My Spirit, to quicken their prayers, guide their counsels, and answer their petitions."~~

Keep Praying Guys...I cannot even begin to imagine the prayers and good thoughts being sent Kevin's way. We're watching a miracle in progress.

STAY STRONG, Leslie.

Hope to see a picture of you three one day in your super hero capes. ; )

Anonymous said...

Oh! That smile! Hang onto that..I know I will-it put one on my face. :-))

Sophie

schmidty said...

That picture of Kevin smiling just brought tears to my eyes :) I'm so glad he's doing so well and he looks great!! You and the family have been added to so many people's prayers and from the look on his face, they seem to be working. God bless you all and thank you for sharing your story with us...

Missy said...

Hi Leslie,

What a beautiful smile! It made me smile to see that pictures of him today. It's so wonderful that he has made so much progress in the last few weeks. I am still keeping you, Kevin, and Breezy on my prayers and I read the blog every day. I'm sure the shunt issue will be resolved soon.

-Missy (drgirlNO1)

Anonymous said...

how wonderful, the pictures are great. His smile is so bright.

Keep your heads high.
Lori

Anonymous said...

What an adorable smile!!! Seeing him smile has to make everyone around him happy. His smile had made my day.

Thank you for sharing this journey with us. It has made an impact on many lives.

Angel hugs,
Jocelyn

Unknown said...

Les, Great to see those pics! He looks great smiling. Keep your strength and remember sometimes you have to take a step backwards to take a few forward. Will be praying that he does well with no infections or seizures. Love you all!
Diana

Unknown said...

There's that smile!! Thank you, Leslie for sharing the pictures. Just wonderful. My love and hugs to you, all. Always.

Anonymous said...

Its so wonderful to see him smile. Jon & I agree. Thank you for putting the pictures up. I think all of us are pretty much thinking the same....Yeah Kev! Your in our thoughts. We read your blog daily. Even if we dont comment all the time. I sure cant wait til he is well enough to play xbox and come over for dinner. lol. It will be just like old times. Tell him we say hello please. I know Jon is missing his fellow xbox'er. lol.

Sgt. G & Monica

Anonymous said...

Wow -- I immediately smiled when I saw that pic. That looks like the happy person I had in 8th grade!! It is great to see him smile :-)
Megan

Unknown said...

It was great to see Kevin with that smile. If might be a little blurry but we can see that big smile. It lights up the whole page. Tell Kevin that Josh and the rest of the troop says "Hello" and is thinking about him.
Sending loving thoughts and prayers your way!
Debbie

The Rock said...

What a smile ! Blurry or not , that had to melt your heart ! God bless you Leslie, Kevin looks better and better. Little steps but they mean so much
Love
Petra
Soldiers Angel
Louisiana

Anonymous said...

Way to Go Kevin! I just wanted to say I drop by the blog everday to read your progress and I'm thrilled to continue to read of all your improvemnts! My son is also with the 173rd, and I havent seen him in over year now...I'm crossing my fingers he'll be home to stay by Thanksgiving. Hugs and Love and prayers to you and your family.
Vicki Cheek
Tncontrygirl@aol.com