Saturday, October 18, 2008

Day 140 - Oct 18, 2008

Well...apparently Kevin gave some thought overnight to the lift and the new chair and decided it was ok because today he got in the chair and had a blast in the lift. Here are a few pics of the lift (using my new camera!):





And once in the chair, we made it down to my house (although we did have to go a different route - not through the parking lot, but to the front of the house) and my sis and b-i-l went to KFC and we all ate dinner together while there. I think Kev was in the chair over 3 hours today - which is awesome! We have a special treat for him tomorrow night, but I will share it with y'all then.

I am so glad that he was willing to do it after all! And recreational therapy saw him out and about today and told us that now that he is in the chair we can schedule trips. We can soon go to the movies and shopping and out to dinner and to the aquarium and a museum and so forth and so on. That is just so exciting, huh?

And Barbara, you also mentioned OCD. Wow - I have to say - that has really become part of Kev's life. Matter of fact, today we wheeled him past a basket and something was at an odd angle in it and he made us stop so that he could fix it. It was somebody else's grocery basket and thankfully they were cool with it, lol. It definitely is different - he used to not care what things were like, but now everything has to be 'just right'. Hehe - I guess more of me is rubbing off on him, lol.

Also, Kevin now has two new words in his vocabulary. He learned the word "no" a couple of days ago (I just kept forgetting to mention it) and today he learned the word "love". I think I am going to stop there for a week or so and just concentrate on him being able to say them without thinking about it. Sometimes it takes minutes for the word to come out and sometimes he still just says "hi" while trying to say something else. It's all part of the process, I know, but if we can get these ones fluent, then we can move on.

And that about sums up the day today. This has been an early post because Kev is watching a movie and only talks to me on commercials, lol. And yay! Breezy is coming home tomorrow morning! Her and my friend, Tracy, are coming in together. I can't wait for Breeze to see the lift!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI,
Wonderful News. so happy to hear things are improving. Keep fighting Kev and take one day at a time which is what you are doing. God bless you all.
Lorraine, Rick and "Howard"

Alison said...

I can see how that lift would be scary for the first time, but I'm glad he warmed up to it. The prospect of more adventures and outings is great news, I'm sure for all of you!

Keep it up Kevin!

Alison from SoCal

Jodi said...

Hi Les,

I knew he would get better with it! That is awesome! All the outings you get to take him on sounds fantastic! He is going to get better and better every day with being able to do "every day" tasks. Things are working out well, right on!!! And the new words, how wonderful! I wish you could post a sound recording of him talking. Maybe someday soon.

Kev, you are amazing kiddo! Keep it up! You are doing fantastic!

That is great Breezy is coming back. I know how much you miss her when she is not with you two. You are such an amazing family!

My mom, Andrew's Grammy, doesn't know how to use a computer, so I keep her updated on Kevin's daily adventures. Well, she came over today, and I showed her your blog and the pics of Kevin at the dinner the other night. It was emotional for her, but she is so proud of Kevin and thinks he looks great! Thank you again for posting the pictures for us, it means so much to us!!!

Here is to another great day tomorrow!
Healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
Strength for Leslie and Breezy.
Safe thoughts for all military personnel.
Big hugs and all my love for all 3 of you!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Vicki Chrisman said...

YAY!!! Fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Hey Leslie

Way to go Kev!

I've used those lifts on people before, that were too heavy for us to get out of bed, They make things alot easier. I can only imagine how scary they are for them. But in all honestly they looked like fun to me.

I'm so glad he's doing so much better and tell him to have a piece of cheesecakes for me. I don't get to eat it nearly enough and I've never been to the cheesecake factory - that's probably a good thing!

Keep up the great work Kevin and stay strong Leslie.

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
I am so thrilled to read of Kevin's recent improvement with his shunt, the acceptance of the lift chair and the emotional connection with Ortiz. I feel your joy. Everyday is a blessing!
Miss you guys...Janet, another wounded warriors mom

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Kevin has adapted so quickly to the lift. That's a great sign for how he'll be able to adapt to things in the future. I can understand why it would be scary at first! How special to have him be able to come down to your house for dinner. It should be fun to plan "field trips" for him now!

Anonymous said...

b-i-l?

Anonymous said...

Trips will be great! That will be so wonderful for Kevin (and you guys with him) to get out and about.
Thinking of you!
Megan

Jodi said...

FOR ANONYMOUS POSTER:
b-i-l = Brother-In-Law.
:-)

Unknown said...

Kevin nevers seises (probably spelled wrong) to amaze us. He has so much determination and it goes to show what a loving family can do. He has overcome so many obstacles and keeps on going. He is an inspiration to me as well has his mother and sister. He does have a package on the way from me. I sent a few items that my son loved when he was away(spag o's,etc lol).I hope that he likes it.
Take care love ya all
Debbie