Monday, October 20, 2008

Day 142 - Oct 20, 2008

We had yet another great accomplishment today. While in the gym this afternoon, Kevin was able to sit up himself, without any support, for a full minute. It sounds so simple, doesn't it? But let me assure you, it is a struggle, not only for his muscles, but also for the sense of vertigo that seems to appear when he moves in a way he is unaccustomed to. Now this doesn't mean that he was able to pull himself up, it just means that while already in a sitting position, the therapists pulled away and allowed him to hold himself up. All in all though, he did sit pretty straight up for a full 25 minutes and I credit the new chair for helping him to be able to do it for this length of time already.

We love our new chair!

It has already given us so many freedoms. Tonight was the third night in a row that Kevin came to my house for dinner! (Chinese, yum!). It is my goal to have him down every night to add some normalcy to our lives. It also gets all three of us out of that hospital room, which is so needed.

And tomorrow morning, we are going to a cafe of sorts that it located in a far off section of the hospital. I guess tomorrow is 'Panera Bread' day so that will be great.

I have to say, Kevin is eating like a horse. I would say he safely passes what both Breezy and I eat combined every day now. And he is also eating everything. No soft food or even mediums any longer. I will admit that I haven't given him chips or anything like that yet, but I would bet he can handle them.

As for his sleeping habits (Kristen, I know you sorta asked about this) - he is doing somewhat ok. Last night, I think he over-tired himself because he didn't go to sleep until 2:30 am. And that was with the help of a sleep aid, pain killers and an agitation medication (not all at the same time). It was just one of those nights where he couldn't sleep at all. He has actually asked for a sleep aid every night for the last 4 or 5 nights now and when he asked tonight I had to tell him 'no'. He is starting to rely on it and he hadn't even tried to fall asleep on his own yet. I am so happy to say that he did manage to fall asleep within a half hour of me saying 'no' so I am glad I played the meanie.

So since he is sleeping, I am going to head home. For those that are local to Butler, PA - check the Butler Eagle over the next few days. They are planning to do an update on Kevin's condition for their readers.

Goodnight all!

7 comments:

Jodi said...

Wow! Another awesome day! Right on!! Great job Kevin! Keep it up kiddo! You are a fighter and that and your mom and sister have gotten you this far! Never stop fighting and getting better! Wow! I am so excited for all of you!

Les, I bet it was hard telling him no on the sleep aids, but good for you! You don't want him to become addicted to anything. Stick to your guns! You are an awesome mom and an amazing lady!

Here is to another fantastic day tomorrow!
Healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
Strength for Leslie and Breezy.
Safe thoughts for all military personnel.
Big hugs and all my love to all 3 of you!!!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Vicki Chrisman said...

just one good day after another it seems! It's so good to come here and read each new advance and improvment... and they have come so fast these past few weeks! Amazing.. just amazing I tell ya! lol
You guys being able to have dinner together is so fantastic! I dont know where you all ( you, breezy and Kevin), have found it in yourselves to pull together and handle all this like you have...but you are three amazing people!!

Anonymous said...

Panera Bread!!!! Yummy! Broccoli Cheddar soup and Turkey Artichoke Panini--oh so good! (And full of calories!)

So happy for you all. May God continue to bless Kevin's recovery.

Ruthie B.

Jan said...

The Butler Eagle has an online version, sure hope they carry the update!

http://www.butlereagle.com/

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had another great day! All the wonderful food you have been eating sounds so good- I think I'm going to eat with you guys! :)
Loved the pictures!
Take care,
Kathy in Iowa

Unknown said...

I am so glad you are all able to be together in a family setting. More like home. Thank you for the pictures! They are great! May God continue to bless each day. Love. Hugs. Prayers. Always

Kris said...

AWESOME!! Yet another great day. Kevin, YOU ROCK!!! Keep up the great work. I can't imagine how painful and hard every step is for you (for you all!) but you ARE an American Hero, and that means that you absolutely, positively have the strength, courage and determination that you need to continue making progress, to see you to recovery.

And thanks so much Leslie for sharing all of the pictures, they are GREAT! I feel like I've met the family! :-)

God bless you Kevin, Leslie & Breezy. Thoughts, prayers, support and load upon load of Angel Hugs are always on their way to you all. Hope you all have an awesome day today!! HUGS.

- Kris, a Soldiers' Angel from RI