Monday, August 9, 2010

Day 801 - Aug 8, 2010

I am assuming that Kevin has a bit of a stomach bug. No sooner had I posted last night than he started vomiting. He had been feeling better today, but only til after dinner. He got sick once again after eating. He's been ok since then so hopefully he makes it through the night just fine.

I am going to just answer some more of the comments/questions:

To anon who asked if Kevin still has "airborne pride" - there isn't really a way for me to know. He doesn't really talk about it and as for him not wearing any 173rd clothing - it's because we just don't have anything like that. There are probably places on post near BAMC to buy clothing with the emblem on it, but I would have no idea where.

Anita - you asked if Kevin cleans up well and puts things away in an organized fashion. Oh my. He has EXTREME OCD. First let me say that he doesn't like to clean, hence all the arguing, but according to Kevin, it's my job to make sure everything is in it's perfect place. I have been making him do more and more, but you wouldn't believe how organized things are for him. His shoes have to be perfectly straight. His clothes have to be folded a certain way. His juice has to be in the same place in the fridge. The velcro on his brace has to aligned just so - no overlap anywhere. His remotes have to be lined up exactly the same every night. There can be NO crumbs or dirt on the floors (did I ever tell you that I used to have to clean the aisles at Walmart as we walked down them?). And things are organized by color most of the time (you should see him eat M&Ms - totally piles them up by color and eats one color at a time). I could go on and on here, but I think you get the picture.

Long-time RN - you asked if the moving traffic and all the visual stimulation of buildings passing by etc causes Kevin to need to sit in the car once we arrive somewhere. I can only assume so. He had gotten better about this before the plate was removed so I am hoping things go back to being better once that plate is put back in.

As for him closing his eyes while in the car - he can't really close them anymore. He is going to need surgery again on both eyes as his facial burns are still healing and pulling. He does try to do it though when he is really over-stimulated. He learned a long time ago to kinda roll his eyes back into his head to he can't see things.

GrannieEv - I would love it if you could arrange some samples of those essential oils! I sometimes burn candles in his room, but it's more just to freshen the smell as he keeps it all closed up all the time. If this works to help him sleep better, I will be a customer for life!

Ok - there are still more questions, but I am going to try to get some sleep. Like I mentioned, it was a rough night last night.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what size t-shirt does kevin wear? drive on good herd lady...

Anonymous said...

btw, what size do you wear?

karen said...

I like that anon, they made me smile. Feel better Kevin!

I like things "lined up" and "sorted" but I am not driven to it, ie. my life doesn't even come close to falling apart if things are not just so. My sister married a guy who does fall apart, and (a) I am grateful mine is just a light quirk and (b) I have an outsider's idea of what it is like to have to live with someone with OCD so (c) I can't even imagine what it is like when you are the #1 caregiver with this kind of thing. As Anon said, Drive on, we're behind you for what it is worth.

Karen

Jessica said...

Aw, hope Kevin is feeling better today and was able to make it through the night. Does he still vomit a lot from the CSF?

Wow, that is pretty extreme OCD. Maybe it's partly his way of exerting a little control in one area of his life right now. Hopefully his therapist will now be able to help him at least become more independent so you're not the one doing all the work.

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.