Friday, August 6, 2010

Day 798 - Aug 5, 2010

Today was a decent day. Breezy came over for dinner and then when Johnny got here Breezy and I went to the family center on post to return some movies that we got last week.

We stopped at Target on the way home and I bought some workbooks for Kevin to help him learn to write. Up until now he refused to do them as they are for kindergarten age children, but we had a long talk yesterday on the way to therapy and I told him that after watching him write cat and dog, we really needed to work on this. I explained that he really does have to start over just like when he was a small child. He finally agreed. I have tried to do this quite a few times, but because the books are not age appropriate he was having none of it.

I also purchased a couple of 'I Spy' books. I toyed with a "Where's Waldo" book, but I knew it would just be too much yet. Kevin was really excited to see these I Spy books. He loves stuff like that and dove right in after Johnny left. Matter of fact, here is a photo of him working on one of the puzzles. What a look of concentration, huh?



We also taught Johnny to play Skipbo tonight. I talked to him some about him helping me to get Kevin out of bed. I think it's great that he will watch movies and things with Kevin, but I really want Kevin up doing activities as opposed to lying down all the time. I feel confident that things will change after the plate is back in, but I want to start trying to break the habit of him being in bed constantly now so that it's easier when his head is fixed in a couple of weeks.

We gotta start somewhere, right?

1 comment:

Miss Em said...

Hello Leslie and Kevin,

So glad to hear that Kevin has taken a very important step in regaining some of his ability to communicate.

Yes. That pic sure showed a man on a mission. [lol]

Kevin, you are making your life easier when you decided to re-learn how to write because if you can write it you can read it.

Miss Em