Monday, January 25, 2010

Day 606 - Jan 25, 2010

I had hoped to get on here earlier today and let y'all know what the docs said, but Kevin has been sick all day long and I was on the phone all day long trying to get things figured out.

So the docs at the emergency room last night told us that Kevin doesn't have any signs of an infection. His blood and urine were completely clear of any possible problems. He had a CT scan as well and they came back and told us that it was completely fine. I'm not sure what that means as I know there is fluid building on top of his plate, which is why I spent the day on the phone.

We didn't get home this morning until close to 4am and neither one of us could sleep until almost 9am. I had a ton of phone calls to make so I got up within a few hours and got started. After MANY phone calls and after watching Kevin still throw up all day long, I decided just to take him to the VA. I was concerned about the hospital we went to last night not having a CT to compare to, kwim?

So anyway, I called the head doc at the VA Polytrauma (whom I really like) and he felt that Kevin could try to make it through the night tonight. Like me, he doesn't see any 'real' signs of ICP except the vomiting. If there was more buildup of fluid, he would probably be showing some of the other signs.

So after I made Kevin some soup, and he was able to keep it down tonight, I was just sitting here thinking about his symptoms. All along I felt it was a bug, but it could also be his stomach just rejecting something. Kind of like it's agitated. He hasn't really been eating anything, which made me think of his meds.

Ummm...hello...?!! Years ago I was on an anti-inflammatory and after 2-3 months it was eating my stomach alive. Kevin has been on that same med for about 3 months now. I remember thinking when they started it that I was going to have to watch for signs of it bothering him, but I completely forgot about it until tonight.

What I realized was that for the few days Kevin was sick earlier last week, I was only giving him the emergent meds so that he had a better chance of keeping them down. I left this drug out. Once he felt better, I gave it to him again and he started vomiting the next morning. I didn't give it to him tonight and he feels just fine now. It could all be coincidence, but then again - this could be part of what it making him ill.

I am anxious to talk to the docs about this tomorrow.

So right now he is in his room watching Family Guy and he feels fine. I am going to sleep in the living room tonight though just in case and we'll see how he does through the night.

And on to other news...my mom went to two docs today. I don't think I mentioned it, but there was talk of her having Blood Cancer. She does not have that - YAY!! She still has to have the cyst on her kidney checked out, but we are confident that it will be fine.

And last, I had the chance to do an interview last week with a reporter from USA Today and they are running a story on Wed about Caregivers of Veterans. She is a super nice person and I look forward to her story. I wanted to give a heads up for those that may want to read it.

And now I have to 'prep' for dinner tomorrow. It's the last meal my dad will be able to eat before his surgery on Thursday so we are having the big turkey dinner - just like Thanksgiving.

Here's hoping that Kevin is well enough that we get to eat it! (because really - if he's not - I won't even be here to cook it!)

7 comments:

Lisa D in Cali said...

Oh My gosh Leslie. Seriously. I'm crossing everything I've got that it is the med. I hope that you can get to the bottom of it soon.

Anonymous said...

Hoping you all have a better day today. Looking forward to the article in USA Today.
Praying that it is the meds, and things get better soon.

Anonymous said...

Hope Kevin gets better soon. Keeping everyone in my prayers...
A.

Unknown said...

Les, you might be on to someting here with Kevin's meds. I remember before I had surgery, I was taking alot of anti-inflammatory drugs and after awhile they were making me very sick to my stomach. Once I quit taking them, I was fine. Hopefully that is all it is with Kevin. I'm glad to hear your mom is okay and I will keep your dad and everyone in my thoughts and prayers. I hope all goes well for him on thursday. Please keep me posted. Thinking of you always. Love you all!
Diana

Anonymous said...

I hope it is the med's too. I'm so glad you thought of that and had experience with taking it. I'm glad the soup stayed down and he's feeling better. So happy to hear the great news about your mom! :) Also keeping your dad in
our prayers. Everything at once, but things are looking up I hope! :)
Have a great day!
Kathy in IA

Long-time RN said...

Good deduction, Sherlock! Hope that's the cause of Kevin's vomiting.

Hope and pray all goes well and your family can enjoy the turkey dinner.

Anonymous said...

Better to not post something like was posted last night and then not just quickly get on and let people know Kevin is at least still with us. All day of not knowing is not a good thing for the readers. Time to make phone calls all day, just give us a 3-5 minute ( if even that long ) update would not have hurt and then tell us more later because there is no time. All we need is "So you don't worry, Kevin is out of hospital, no time now, more news tonight". Good to hear the news your Mother is OK. Things like last night really scare people. Not being mean or even trying to be, just common courtesy in letting us know. Enjoy that great turkey dinner. Your Dad will really appreciate it. Many prayers being sent your way.