Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Day 599 - Jan 18, 2010

I was very disappointed tonight. I think I told y'all a while ago that Maxim had found us a young guy that was going to come and play video games with Kevin and take him to do 'guy' things. Things that a normal 21 year old would do.

Well geez. Tonight was going to be the first night that this young man was to come and I spent the whole weekend building Kevin up for this only to find that the guy that showed up tonight was a 47 year old man that didn't even know what an XBox was or even what UNO was. SAY WHAT?!!

I mean seriously?! I even talked to the guy at Maxim today and they told me he was a little older than Kevin and that I should keep an open mind. An open mind? HA! He's older than me! Kevin was so bummed out and I can only hope that I was able to hide my feelings. What a waste of time. What a waste of priming Kevin to be ready for this. Now Kevin won't be as open to it the next time. And I'm just curious how long this is going to take. It took them months to find this 'young' guy!

This was just so disappointing. And truthfully, I don't really like being put into a position where I have to tell someone to leave and not come back.

Well, it looks like I need to make a phone call tomorrow and let Maxim know that I want a skater punk that plays Halo! I really don't know how I can be any more clear than I already have been. I guess I'll have to talk S L O W E R. (Yep - a little bit of sarcasm)

And I can hear Kevin in there snoring so I am going to bed too.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

What if you contacted your local college and speak with the person in charge of their Child and Youth Worker or Developmental Service Worker program ask them if they can put it out there for their students most of whom would be Kevin's age. Alot of these programs require that the students do placements and volunteer hours through their 3 year programs. I know that Kevin isn't a child but most colleges will accept this kind of placement to qualify for the hours. Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Shannon- that's an excellent idea. The college kids in our town need so many volunteer hrs. too. Gosh if we lived closer I would definately send our son over. He knows all about Halo! ha He would love to "Halo" with Kevin!
I'm glad they could find someone but I hope next time it is with someone who has the interests that Kevin has. Not that they can't do other things together but it would be nice to have a closer match. :)
Take care and have a great day!
Kathy in IA

Anonymous said...

I love the college idea...and have another. Have you thought about contacting a local church? They might know of some great "youth" to fit your bill. Just a thought, and hopoing it gets better

Anonymous said...

Hope you find someone suitable soon. I agree with the idea of trying to get a college student.
I just saw the videos and I was very impressed by Kevin's progress. :)
A.

Cathy M said...

Shannon - you are on to something. What do you think, Leslie?

Anonymous said...

Another idea - a lot of high schools require "service or volunteer" hours for graduation. If you contacted a guidance counselor in the high school close to you maybe they could connect one of those students with Kevin. I know they would be a bit younger than Kevin but the age gap would be much less than you experienced today. They might even know where a skate park is located so that Kevin could at least feel the atmosphere there. He could really give the new riders some ideas. He may not be able to skate but he still has ideas and I am sure that he would work hard to convey those ideas.
Army Mom