Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Day 594 - Jan 13, 2010

Well, I got some very upsetting news today. Remember how we went for some tests and found there is some fluid buildup on Kevin's head? Well, one of the docs from the VA hospital called tonight and told me that we need to get to Texas pretty quickly. I think he said that the fluid is inside the plate, not outside like we were originally told. Frankly, I was in shock and didn't really hear much after he said that we needed to go back to TX.

So I guess they all had a conference today - the docs here and the docs there - and that's what they decided.

The problem is that it is not just that easy to leave right now. My WHOLE family is coming in a week or so for my dad's surgery and with Mom possibly having cancer too, it's just not a good time.

But what choice do I have?

I did tell the doc everything tonight and he agreed to call the neurosurgeon we have an appt with on Feb 10. I am hoping that a call from another doc will spur him to get us in early. It's really our only alternative.

And on that note, I am going to quit early tonight. Tracy is leaving early in the morning and we are trying to get everything packed and ready to go.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying that everything will turn out with good results for Kevin. You are right Leslie, what choice do you have. You have been through so much as has your entire family. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you, and your entire family.

Linda said...

oh no Leslie. I am so sorry to hear that. I must have missed somthing there. I didn't know that there was possiblity of fluid with the plate in Kevin's head. Things just don't stop with you does it? I will be praying for things to go better for you and your family. Please take care of yourself!

Anonymous said...

Life keeps dumping on you and your family. Never ending, never a dull moment. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family. Hang in there. You are thinking how much more can you take? I dont know. Love ya Lorraine

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you all.
A.

Anonymous said...

Blessings ans Godspeed through this new bump!

Laura RL

Anonymous said...

Oh, geez, it just never stops, does it? My thoughts are with you.

Judy

Long-time RN said...

Geez, what the heck? Seems a bit odd that Kevin doesn't have any symptoms such as fever, neuro symptoms from increased pressure. Do they think this the area of fluid is increasing, perhaps a shunt issue? Just thinking out loud, hope you get answers soon, and sincerely hoping this conclusion doesn't require surgical intervention.

We'll be praying for Kevin and all of you while you wait for answers to this development. So sorry your family if facing so many health issues.

Kris said...

I sit here and shake my head reading this latest entry - "are you &*^&@# kidding me?" i said to myself. Actually, I said it out loud. :) Leslie and family, saying extra prayers for the extra strength - herculean strength - that you need.

Unknown said...

Many more prayers and thoughts for you....sending much love, hugs and always prayers...God be there...

Jessica said...

Lord have mercy. I pray that the doctors are wrong and that you can get him in to see the new neurologist. I feel sick about this, as I know you do. Try to take care of yourself. I'm praying for you and, of course, for Kevin.

Anonymous said...

Oh, good lord, Leslie; I don't comment often but follow your blog first thing every morning -we share your daily triumphs and tragedies...and all I can offer are my prayers and very best wishes...it is difficult enough when your parents are ill but with Kevin's monumental issues as well?

You are the strongest person I know, even though we've never met personally.

I send love and healing thoughts to Kevin, you, Breezy, and your mom and dad.

Anne