Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Day 600 - Jan 19, 2010

Today we managed to get Kevin into the dentist. Let me just say that he was not a happy camper. They took him for X-rays and I looked in the window of the door and could see he was just livid. To be honest, I don't know how I even got him to go. He refused for almost 2 hours to even get out of bed because he just was not going.

He did finally go (after so much prodding and bribing), but he absolutely refused to brush his teeth or wear deodorant. I was like "WHAT?" He is so good with his toiletry habits that I couldn't believe it. This just shows you how mad he was that he had to go to the dentist.

So anyway, no abscess. He does have 12 (YES - TWELVE!!!!) cavities though! I am sure some of it is his eating habits, but I don't know if the blast had anything to do with it too. I remember in the beginning his teeth had turned a dark grey color. They did eventually go back to a shade of white, but I do wonder if damage had been done.

So now he refuses to get them filled. We are going to go outside of the VA as he will need to be put to sleep for this and I can only hope he will let me take him. Once all of that is done, we are discussing braces for his teeth. This will be down the road a bit though; once we get everything else taken care of.

I also called Maxim today and set them straight. And I want to say 'thanks' for all the ideas for a companion for Kevin. With everything else going on for the next couple of weeks, I am going to wait and see what Maxim can do. Once we get through my dad's surgery and all of the company, I will sit down and make some phone calls.

And now I am going to leave you with some photos that Ronnie just emailed me from when the boys went over to St Pete for the afternoon last Saturday.

This is my favorite! What a great picture, huh?


This is Kev and Chrissy (my niece) at The Columbia Restaurant on The Pier. She works there and the boys went there to visit her.


And this last one is Kevin in his new recliner. He sits in it quite often and I am so glad. I just hated him always laying in bed all the time!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. Sorry to hear about the teeth. Was first hoping the teeth were the problem but now guess not. I dont know how you do but my heart goes out to you.
Love Ya
Lorraine

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the great pictures! Looks like they had a fun time!!!
Sorry about all the cavities. Hopefully he will agree to take care of them.
We continue to pray for all of your family.
Kathy in IA

Tracey from Pgh. said...

I can't believe how much your niece and Breezy look alike! I thought it was Breezy in that picture at first glance.

Ronnie said...

haha! Way to teach the Dentist not to mess with you by skipping the deodorant Kevin.

Unknown said...

If Kev doesn't have an electric tooth brush, you might want to consider a Crest spinbrush, Colgate makes a good one too...these are relatively cheap & work well. We recommend them to patients who have problems with manual dexterity, arthritis, etc. Also look for a timer..should be in the toothbrush/toothpaste aisle of WalMart. Have Kev use a 2 or 3 minute timer when brushing, make him a chart to be sure to get the outside, inside, chewing surface, biting edges of his teeth. The very best thing is flossing. Flossing is brushing in between the teeth where the toothbrush bristles can't reach, helps the health of the gum tissue. Don't want to sound preachy, but watch sugar content...especially pop, have him swish his mouth with water if he can't brush, it really helps. Hey, I thought your niece was Breezy too..wow! do they look alike. Love ya guys--Jo

Anonymous said...

Your comment cracked me up Ronnie! I'm so glad you and Kevin had such a fun time together! You are truly a great friend!
Kathy in IA

Jessica said...

Wow, that's a lot of cavities! I think I'd need to be put under, too. :( I just got an Oral B electric toothbrush for $20 on Amazon. It's way cheaper in the long run than a battery-operated toothbrush since those suck up batteries so fast. Plus, mine has a two minute timer on it.

I laughed when I read that Kevin refused to brush his teeth or wear deodorant! Once, when I was a kid, I purposely ate some Oreos before a cleaning. My mother always made us brush first, but I thought the dental hygienist ought to work for her money, apparently!

Love the photos! Kevin's recliner looks so comfy. But where's Princess? She should be in it with him!

What's the latest on the neurologist? I've thinking about that all day. I'll be praying for you all and keeping you in my thoughts. Take care!

Shannon.Simmons said...

Love the pictures! They r awesome! My heart and prayers are with your Son and your family. You are a strong woman and your son as well.. I praise that.
xoxox
Soldiers Angel
Shannon Simmons