Saturday, January 2, 2010

Day 583 - Jan 2, 2010

Today my niece Chrissy and her boyfriend Josh came over and spent the day. Josh got all of my stereos and other electronics fixed and hooked up and it's just such a good feeling having all of that stuff taken care of. Between Josh and our handyman, things are really starting to take shape in the house. It's about time, right?

And Kevin was in a pretty good mood all day too. He was out of his room more than he was in, which was such a treat.

Oh and before I forget - those local to Pittsburgh may want to pick up the Post Gazette tomorrow. I believe my dear Kevin will be on the front page. Mike has written another article on how far Kevin has come in the past 6 months since he and Rebecca have seen him.

I have to tell you that Mike and Rebecca are truly such wonderful people. Out of this horrific experience came the chance to get to know so many new people and I am so happy to consider these two as true friends.

And speaking of Rebecca - check out this link:

2009 Year In Pictures

The photo of Kevin and Breezy has made it as one of the favored images of 2009. (It's my fav too so I can understand this, lol). Anyway, if you click on it you can hear Rebecca talk about taking the photo.

And I will post a link tomorrow so that we can see what the article is all about. I am anxious to see it.

And in other news, I might have had a light bulb moment today. Granted the light bulb might be blown, but we shall see, lol. So anyway, it has been cold here a lot the last couple of weeks. Kevin has also had a lot of pain in his head the last few weeks. I wonder if the two are connected? I think I need to really start paying attention to the weather and to the air conditioner. This may not be it at all, but it's worth looking into.

And now I am going to watch an episode of Cold Case. I just love that show!

3 comments:

Jodi said...

Wow, I hadn't seen that before. What an awesome moment captured and Rebecca spoke so wonderfully about it...Thanks for sharing Leslie.

BIG HUGS AND ALL MY LOVE TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Miss Em said...

Hello Leslie, Kevin and all...

LIGHT BULB NOT BROKEN...you just moved the dimmer switch to the max position because you are onto something about the cold and Kevin's pain.

Contact a couple of the Vet Organizations in your area and ask if any of the Vets that have metal pins, plates and rods in them-selves would talk to you about the cold and how it effects them AND what they do about it.

In the mean time---get a black
'watch cap'..military styles are closer knitted and warmer. Tell Kevin to put it on and to keep it on so the heat in his head can keep the plate warm. Kevin may even have to sleep with it on his head when its cold.

[It might take getting Kevin to lie down on the bed with the
'plate-side' pressing into the pillow and some toweling built up so the heating pad or electric blanket isn't touching the
'plate'. This way you are warming the air around it and the oppisite side of the head which will SLOWLY warm the skin and blood the flows in and under it. KEEP A CLOSE EYE on this because I know that you will not want harm come to Kevin because you want it WARM not get hot. If this works then you and/or his 'aide' can help ease the pain without meds...just takes longer.
Then put the 'watch cap' on quickly.

I use much of the same proceedure to warm my hand, hips and knees when the weather here in Austell is cold...like now 25 degrees.
BUUURRRRRRRR!!

Looking forward to the link.

Love the picture of Kevin and Breezy too.

Take care and enjoy life as much as possible.
Evening bike rides are nice especially when shared with Love One[s].

Miss Em
Austell, Ga.

Jessica said...

What a beautiful tribute to Kevin on the Post Gazette website! I can tell from the way Rebecca spoke that he has really touched her life, as he has so many.

It does give peace of mind to have things around the house taken care of. Glad you found a good handyman, we've had a hard time getting someone reliable to do odd jobs.

Hope you can resolve the pain in Kevin's head, especially if it is due to the cold. Thank goodness you're in FL and not the bitter cold of PA right now! You're in my thoughts and prayers. Take care!