Sunday, February 15, 2009

Day 260 - Feb 15, 2009

Kevin has finally been released to go back to his room. YAY!! It has been very rough being in ICU as it is so loud and it's impossible to sleep there. But - we are back "home" now so things should get better.

It has been rough too in that the shunt quit working three times this week. Kevin has hit a very depressed state because he is realizing exactly how much this whole thing just sucks. Both last night and tonight he has just lay in bed and sobbed "Why? Why? Why?". We had a long talk about things tonight and he basically told me that he hates it in the hospital (I can so understand that one!). I told him I am working on it, but am struggling with the home situation. He also knows that even when we do get a home he can't just check out and it will take time to be able to go home and stay home. I know it will start with just the weekends and I can only hope that he understands that when the time comes.

And it turns out that Kevin tested positive for MRSA this week. It's colonized in his nose, but now we have to wear gowns and things when we are with him. We made it all these months without it - bummer. I guess it was inevitable though as nearly everyone on the ward has it and Kev has started socializing with the other patients. Matter of fact, he played Wii bowling last week with one of the other patients and he had a blast. I left while he played because he needs to realize that there will be times when Breeze or I just won't be there. I really wish I could've seen him play though...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Les, I know how you feel about the MRSA thing we have so many patients that have it to. Sure wish that Kev could have missed out of that one. I pray for you and Kev and Breez and know that you guys are so strong. Take care honey. Love ya bunches. Pam

Anonymous said...

Leslie -

Please read the book "The Shack". It will lighten your load just a little.

Keeping you all in my prayers...

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Kevin has been released back to his room! Also glad he was able to play the wii!
I hope Breezy and your mom are doing better too!
We continue to pray for you guys!
I hope today is a good day for you!
Kathy in IA

Vicki Chrisman said...

So glad Kevin is back to his room and doing better.
I'm so sorry he/all of you , have to go through all of this.. My heart just breaks thinking about it.

Kris said...

So glad that Kev is back in his room and out of ICU. My heart just bleeds for Kev and for you Leslie & Breezy. I pray so hard for the massive amounts of strength, peace and comfort you need to get through each day. God bless you all and keep you close to His heart.

We're all out here praying for you and praying with you guys, and we always will be. If only we could make it all just go away for you!

- Kris, a Soldiers' Angel from RI

Anonymous said...

There's a brief article about Kevin in the Oil City, PA newspaper:


http://www.thederrick.com/Derrick/26.shtml

Long-time RN said...

Good to read Kevin is out of the ICU. It's sure understandable how these setbacks take an emotional toll. Ugh, very sorry to read about the MRSA. Dang. Does this mean antibiotic therapy? Do they treat the MRSA since it is so prevalent in the environment?

Prayers for Kevin, for renewed spirits and wind beneath his wings. Hope your daughter is feeling better. Take very good care.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that Kevin's out of ICU, but the MRSA is definitely bad news. I hope it's a case that will be resolved quickly with a dose of antibiotics. My heart goes out to him as I am familiar with the depression that comes along with long-term illness, but can't begin to imagine having to be in a hospital for so long with surgery after surgery. I'm praying that Kevin will sense God's loving care and know that God has promised never to forsake us in our darkest hours.

Take care, Leslie. I'll continue to pray for you all and for your housing situation.