Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Day 254 - Feb 9, 2009

Kevin is still doing well and I am glad to say that most of the spasms have went away. He is still having a few, but that's the norm for him.

He did really well in physical therapy today too, but he is getting tired very quickly. I am assuming that it's because he just had surgery two days ago though.

And it looks like we are going to have to cut his hair. We had come so far in covering some of those scars, but they only shaved half his head for surgery and now everyone is commenting on it. It is making Kevin very self-conscious and he is pulling into himself every time someone says something. I know he is also very upset that he has even more staples in his head as he sees himself even more scarred now. It's hard for me because I honestly don't know what to say to him to make this better. I guess there really isn't anything more I can say - he is just going to have to accept it.

As for Long Time RN asking about the reason the shunt failed - they really didn't tell me. They just said it malfunctioned and they have no idea how often it could happen. I know in the past that they told me that the part of Kevin's brain that was damaged is breaking off in small particles and can clog the shunt sometimes. They didn't mention that this time, but there was a whole lot of screaming going on because they sent the resident that I don't trust to deal with us. I really don't understand how in America you are free to choose your doctors, but our own wounded warriors are not. The very guys and gals that fight for our freedom are not free to choose their doctors. It honestly makes no sense to me.

So anyway, Breezy is going in in the morning to be with Kev and I plan to call my congressman. I didn't want to do it today in front of Kev so tomorrow it is. It just really isn't fair. Why should we have to have someone that we just don't trust?

5 comments:

Kris said...

Holy smokes I'm stunned they sent the idiot resident. Good grief there is just so much wrong with not having your choice of doctors - where does one begin! Hoping and praying you have luck with your Congressman. To think that to get decent care for your hero a call to a congressman is required. And the fact that this is the nth call you've had to endure... Wow. So incredibly shameful.

On the upside so glad to hear that Kev has conquered yet another obstacle and is feeling better. And hair on both sides or not -- Kevin is ONE HANDSOME HERO and please tell him that we all said that! :-)

God bless you Kevin, Leslie & Breezy. Thoughts, prayers, support and loads and loads of angel hugs are always coming your way. Oh BTW I didn't get a chance to comment on the AWESOME videos you posted - they are so great and thank you so much for sharing!!

HUGS.

- Kris, a Soldiers' Angel from RI

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
I agree with you that Kevin should not have a doctor that he or his family is not comfortable with.He
needs someone both qualified in this field and someone that you can relate to.
But it's really not a matter of being in the services or not;anymore very few people are actually able to choose their own doctors.With HMO's and PCP'S people are are forced by their insurances to see someone that their insurance deems qualified.
It's scary but with the way things
are right now there are
many people that can't afford to see any doctor;whether qualified or not.
I am praying that someone is able to work this situation out for Kevin so that it's to his advantage.Continue watching out for your son's well-being...

Tom H said...

You all are in my thoughts and prayers. For years and years, the military and the military hospitals have made it a practice to use experimental drugs, devices, and practices on the troops.

Long-time RN said...

Sorry to read about the physician issue and Kevin possibly losing his hair.

Sure hope you're able to work out an agreement or understanding with the hospital regarding this physician.

Kevin's back at therapy already, wow! The therapy dept isn't cutting any slack just because of surgery! Good for Kevin in getting right back at walking.

Lifting your family in prayers.

Anonymous said...

I don't understand the whole military health care, either, why they have to be subjected to substandard care. I hope your congressman listens to you and does something about it.

That's too bad about Kevin's hair. It's hard to be different when all you want is to be normal. I'll keep praying for his health to continue to improve and that he would get to see decent doctors. Thank God you're there to watch over him.