Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Day 213 - Dec 30, 2008

Today my beautiful daughter and my parents passed each other in the skies - probably over one of the Carolinas, lol. Breezy went home for a couple of weeks and my mom and my dad came to visit for a whole week! I actually cried while driving to the airport the second time today to pick my parents up. Although my mom has been to see us 2 or 3 times, I haven't seen my dad in over 7 months. It's just so hard because I really miss my family and my friends.

Kevin was really excited to see them too. I wish his head had been tapped before we got back, but he did at least show some emotion when they walked in. And once he was tapped - he was really happy to have them around.

We had a really rough time getting fluid off today though. It was way over an hour and we finally stopped at a little over 200 CCs because we just couldn't get anymore out. Yet his head was super large today, which makes no sense to me. I suggested to the doc that we tap him twice a day and see if it's any easier and he agreed to try it tomorrow (usually the first 100 CCs happen in 10 minutes or so). Maybe this way he will be well enough to do his therapies and keep going through the night. As it is now, he is only 'good' for a few hours and then he's back to barely moving and there is just nothing there emotionally either. It's honestly like night and day.

And now I am going to end by adding a poem to my post. This was written by T. Beechey and it was posted as a comment to last night's entry. I cried when I read this and to be honest, I am still crying. Thank you, T!

JUST A SOLDIER – A Tribute to Kevin Kammerdiener
(T. Beechey)

He wasn't rich or privileged, he was just like you and me
He came from a good home and close-knit community
Everyone that knew him was glad to call him “friend”
Whenever there was trouble, on him you could depend
When he first heard the calling to join among the ranks
Of the brave men and women in the Humvees and the tanks
He didn't hesitate a bit, his duty was at hand
To fight the fight for freedom for the glory of his land

He was being just a soldier, doing what he had to do
And he did what he did for the Red, White, and Blue
Proud to serve his country and proud to do his part
He gave all he had that was in his heart

Dressed in the gear of combat, those beside him dressed the same
He wasn't seeking fortune, he didn't quest for fame
All that he desired was to serve his Nation well
And to come home safely with a tale or two to tell
The tasks he was given, he never questioned why
It wasn't his to query, so he dutifully complied
Because he was a soldier and he had the job to fill
The shoes of those before him who walked a distant hill

He was being just a soldier, doing what he had to do
And he did what he did for the Red, White, and Blue
Proud to serve his country and proud to do his part
He gave all he had that was in his heart

On a day that we'll remember in the month of May
This soldier bore the burden of a hefty price to pay
He's no longer in the battle, but he still fights the war
Every day is a challenge just like the one before
And he meets every challenge with the same bravery
That he showed as he stared in the eyes of the enemy
He still is a soldier in each and every way
And he's the reason I'm proud to live in the USA

He will always be a soldier, doing what he has to do
No matter what's in front of him, he'll always make it through
Proud to serve his country and proud to do his part
The Nation holds you, Kevin, in its collective heart

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That poem needs to be published it is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

T.
I have an idea, that poem was beautiful and we have a cookbook being printed in honor of Kevin and other soldiers, could we publish your poem in the cookbook? with your name as credit? let me know tracya12@zoominternet.net I am speechless.
Tracy A. Jack

Anonymous said...

It has been a dream of mine for many years to have something that I've written appear in print and I would truly be honored if you would publish my poem in your cookbook, especially since it's in recognition of Kevin as well as the other brave men and women in the armed forces...I never knew Kevin personally (his sister Brianna and I were acquaintances some years back) but, since I've been following these journal entries, I've begun to feel a certain kinship with him and my poem was my expression of how I interpreted what he was feeling, from his decision to enlist until the present day, and I sincerely hope that I accurately captured those moments.
Once again, thank you for this opportunity and may God continue to bless you.

Thomas D. Beechey

Jodi said...

Hi Les,

I am glad you have your parents with you! That is great!

Okay, can't see thru the tears...lol...that is a beautiful poem for such a special and remarkable young man that we have all come to love.

Well, we made it thru Christmas. It was tough, but we did it. Jon gave Andrew's cousins (my nieces) special necklaces with Andrew's fingerprints imprinted on copper and engraved on the back, and yes, that made everyone cry! :-) But we made it thru together, and that is what we needed to do.

I hope you all have a good day today and Kevin is in a good mood and feeling good.

Healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
Strength and comfort for Leslie and Breezy.
Safe thoughts for all military personnel and strength for their families.
BIG HUGS AND ALL MY LOVE TO ALL OF YOU!!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Anonymous said...

How beautiful and true that poem is. I am also crying and think it needs to be published.
Glad your parents are with you and Kev.
Happy New Year to all.
Love
Susan

Jan said...

Thomas, that was so beautiful that I couldn't breathe the whole time I was reading it.

Leslie, enjoy having your parents with you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie.

Just have a quick question as to why the docs are not doing something with Kevin's shunt. I understand from your posts that they feel that the cranioplasty will be the answer, but what happens when the fluid continues to build, reaches the limits of the metal plate, and the shunt is still not releasing the CSF fluid? What happens then when the plate is in place and they can't tap? Why are they not trying to replace the shunt with something that DOES work in addition to the plate? Really makes no sense to me but maybe I am missing something here.

Long-time RN said...

Lovely poem and our thoughts and prayers are with Kevin and so many other warriors and their families.

I've wondered the same as 'anon'-how is having the replacement piece in place solve the fluid build-up? Or do the docs plan on replacing or fixing the shunt during the upcoming surgery?

Hope you have a wonderful visit with your family and blessing to all of you in the New Year.

The Rock said...

Have a wonderful New Year Leslie and Kevin. Glad to hear that you have your Parents there. It will help !
Hugs
Petra
S.A,

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Kevin, Leslie and Breezy.
The poem made me cry, so fitting.
Thank you for posting it.

God Bless Our Troops
Annie

Anonymous said...

I hope that you and Kevin enjoy your parents' stay! Happy New Year! I pray that God brings many more improvements in Kevin's health, especially the fluid problem, and blessings for you all.

Unknown said...

Les, Happy New year to you, Kevin and Breezy. I'm glad to hear you have your mom and dad with you for a week. I hope you all enjoy the time together. I'm really sad to hear the problem with the fluid and as the one person posted-how is that shunt going to work once the plate is on? The poem by Mr. Beechey is awesome! I hope Breezy enjoys her stay in PA and that everything goes well for you all in the New Year. In thoughts and prayers,
Love you all, Diana