Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Day 199 - Dec 16, 2008

Kevin had a good afternoon today once they drained 240 CCs of fluid from his head. Up until then he slept all day, but afterward he was pretty good. He hasn't been in his chair or out of bed in any way in ten days though, but hopefully tomorrow.

I am not really going to write much today as I am just beat. I do want to throw another "THANK YOU" out to everyone that has been sending us gifts and donations. We have gotten some beautiful Christmas cards and tree decorations - some even homemade and hand carved - and a real pine wreath and some blankets and the quilts that Holee and her gang made for us made it down to us this week too. Everything is so beautiful!

And I really chuckle when I find Subway gift cards and Cheesecake Factory cards and even some McDonalds cards. Kevin's face always lights up - which is so funny to watch.

And I want to add that all donations are now being put into the 'let's buy Kevin a home' fund. I am hoping that we will be able to find an organization or two to help us out with some of the cost of the home and I did apply to Homes For Our Troops in the hopes that they can handle all of the adaptations. I do realize that it's a buyer's market right now, but homes are still very pricey in this area. I just don't want Kevin to have a huge mortgage payment so I am hoping this all works out for us. And it's sad to say, but once he checks out of the hospital, my income is done. So I will not be able to have any type of a paying job because I won't be able to leave him, but need to somehow figure out how to pay my own bills. Fun! Fun! Fun!

Oh well, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it...

11 comments:

Alison said...

Glad to hear that this afternoon was better for Kevin and all of you. Hopefully he can get out into the chair tomorrow and spend some time out of that bed!

As for the bills...there must be some way to organize and come up with some donations to help out. I know times are tough all across the country but still...

Here's to a better day tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Hi Les, I am so glad to hear that Kevin was some better yesterday. I just can"t imagine how hard that is. My baby was 40 yesterday and as Mom's know he is still my baby. I hope the house goes well. We will think of something. Take care and I love ya honey. Love ya, Pam

Holee said...

Tampa is not Western, Pa. People have jobs and money as you can see by the prices of homes. Here they cost $60,000 vs. $300,000 in Tampa.

You've already had a few businesses but here few can survive. You own a stockroom full of scrapbook supplies from the last business, the foundation for a home business.

There must be a lot of people with money who would pay for a retirement scrapbook, or baby, or wedding or graduation.

I don't think it will be long before a smart business woman like yourself will find a way to have a paycheck in the Tampa area, without leaving your home.

Did you check with social security? Kevin will get an extra check from them and maybe even you since he was injured before he was 21.

Glad the mail found it's way to Kev's new room.

Anonymous said...

Leslie, please give Building Homes for Heroes a call at 516 684-9220

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie so glad Kevin is doing better my how you have been on my mind and in my prayers You said about not being able to work there is a lady that helps people get jobs she is on ABC Good Morning America Her name is Tory Johnson she maybe can help you get a working from home on computers she has been having a lot of job fairs in different cities but she started out with the work from home projects
You take care Thinking of you Martha K

joyce said...

I have started buying "Tastefully Simple" products from another military mom. The mixes are super simple, and since you like to cook---its a website business. Hang in there. You will find something you can do from home and on the computer. You are a very talented, strong lady. You could write a book on your experiences from you wonderful blog posts!

Jenna said...

Les,

Make sure to contact USA CARES. They may or may not be able to help directly, but they have a wealth of resources to help you, Breezy and Kevin purchase a home. Contact me directly at jennajohns@gmail.com if you want some contact info for a person I know at USA CARES.

Jenna

Nip said...

I think the gov. should buy him a house he gave his all and they should make sure that is is comforable and well took care of, he shold not have to ask for anything; our boys have given so much for our country and what do they get in return---Kevin you are a hero in my eyes God Bless you
take care and I hope things work out for you;

Anonymous said...

Leslie, I'm so glad to see some good suggestions from other people that may help you with some of the expenses of a home and may also cover your expenses. Let us know if you follow up on some of the leads that were suggested and get some good results. You deserve help considering the situation you are in...as a mother of a 27 year old son, I tremendously respect all you have done for Kevin and your family and only pray that good things come your way in the form of monetary assistance!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that Kevin had a little better time yesterday. He needs a break!
I love to hear when people are so generous to Kevin. I'd love to see the quilts! It would be so cool if Homes for Our Troops could help out.

Still praying for the CSF problem and the house. Take care and God bless!

Holee said...

Jessica, you can see the quilts on my blog. Each block is posted starting in June, but the finished quilts are under October towards the bottom of the page.