Sunday, December 7, 2008

Day 190 - Dec 7, 2008

We had a really great day today! We have known that this group of guys was going to come for a week or so now and every day we would tell Kevin and he would shake his head 'no'. I was so worried because I didn't want to offend them thinking that Kevin didn't want to meet them. But, it turns out that Kevin just didn't believe us all this time. This is the first look on Kevin's face when they walked in the door. I think he was just figuring out what was going on:



This one is where Kevin really understood that the band was truly here to see him:



And here is kevin just grinning from ear to ear:



And here is a pic of us and the band:



And the bands name? Atreyu!! This is the band whose name Kevin first read on my iPod! When we realized he could read! They are a heavy metal band and one of or possibly Kev's favorite band!!!

I must say that this group of guys was wonderful! We had a very enjoyable visit. They actually stayed for over an hour in Kev's room and then they walked around the ward and met some of the other patients. Then they came back to say 'goodbye' to Kev and invited him to see them in concert next year when they come back to Tampa.

And to Sharrin at Hollywood Records - thanks so much for talking to the guys about coming to see Kev! You made his day - his month - probably his year! Tell them all 'thanks' again!

Now I'm going to answer a few of the questions. I am way behind.

Jessica, we received the shirt and button - very nice! I hope they work!

Kim - we did get the pics of the kids from the preschool. Kevin even pointed to his name that was on a piece of paper in one of the pics. I just love it when I can see him reading. Tell the kids 'thanks'!

Albie - we got the picture you drew of Kevin - wow! Beautiful!

Also, a few of you suggested Kev wearing a hoodie. That is a great idea. We even have a Zoo York one (skateboard company) so we will try that.

Some of you have asked when Breezy will be coming back to PA to live - we are figuring March. Her boyfriend will be home from Iraq in April and she wants to be set up before then. This is going to be very hard for all of us. The three of us are very close and I just can't imagine not seeing her all the time.

Bea (Holee) - hurry up and send those quilts, lol! It has been unseasonably cold here lately. I would've loved to have one last night (and tonight) as it's only 50 degrees here. I am told this is not the norm and I sure hope not...

Anonymous asked why we shouldn't take Kevin out in Tampa - I am thinking it's because he still doesn't have the plate in his head. Normally he would wear a helmet and be able to go out, but they can't get one to fit as his head size fluctuates daily. It is also very painful to have it rub on that sac above his ear.

Denver - the realtor will be dealing with the bank and our bid. I am leaving this aspect in their capable hands so I probably won't know who it is - at least until the end.

Barbara - I don't think Kevin even knew who Charlie Daniels was. It didn't matter to him in the least that he met him, but he was wiped out as we just came back from PT and OT. When he is tired, he retreats into himself and we all just back off and let him rest.

Well, that's enough for tonight. Breezy and I are actually going to Disney World tomorrow for the day/night. My niece Chrissy is coming to stay with Kevin. The reason we are going is because there are some classes I need to take. One is on retiring vs active duty. So we are going to leave tomorrow afternoon after seeing Kevin in the morning and then come back the next afternoon/evening. I still won't leave him for a full day as I just can't do it. I will also be skyping with him. I am really scared to leave him, but I really need to meet some of the contacts at this conference and I also need to learn from the classes. And most importantly - Breeze and I need some time together.

So wish us luck. I hope it all goes well...

7 comments:

Holee said...

The quilts are on the way via Federal Express. I had a little vacation in the hospital and didn't get them packed up until now.

The truth is, Florida does have a winter. Last January Tampa had record breaking temperatures and they had snow in Cape Canaveral. People in Florida just don't like to admit to winter. Every year they say, "This is not the norm"...lol

Jodi said...

WOW, THAT IS AWESOME!!! Thanks Atreyu for visiting with Kevin and the other troops! The look and smile on Kevin's face is FANTASTIC!Thank you so much for posting the pics Les!! Oh, that is just awesome!

Les, please enjoy your time with Breezy and enjoy Disney World. You two need a break too. Kev will be okay. He's a tough kid.

I hope everyone has another great day today!!

Healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
Strength for Leslie and Breezy.
Safe thoughts for all military personnel and strength for their families.
BIG HUGS AND ALL MY LOVE TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Kris said...

Hey everyone!!

Gee I was away from the computer for a couple of days and come back to some AWESOME entries!! Picking out a house to you all meeting some famous people, meeting bands AND Kevin pulling himself up and walking!! OMG!!! Hope you have a great day today Leslie & Breezy, Kevin will be fine! I'm glad to hear that they have classes on the active duty/retiring decision, that is good to know.

Regarding the van that you are considering buying, contact Soldiers' Angels and perhaps they can point you in the right direction, perhaps get you some help financially with that.

God bless you Kevin, Leslie & Breezy, big, ginormous Angel Hugs are always coming your way!!

- Kris, a Soldiers' Angel from RI

Holee said...

My son got the tracking # for the quilts.
FedEx 045711910056218

Someone at the hospital will have to sign for it. There is also a special package in the box for Kevin.

You should get the package by Friday or earlier.

The Rock said...

Wow, I been away for a couple of days and all kinds of good stuff is happening ! What a Picture ! Kevin looks so surprised ! That was cool that the Band came . God bless them .
And Kevin being excited about the new house is wonderful ! You three; are a wonderful Family. I can see the love when I look at the 3 of you having " Movie Day ".

I hope and pray that you get the house , it would make such a big difference to all of you .
Ross Pero came ? That was nice . Wow , Charlie Daniels , that is just great . I am so glad that Kevin seems to be more aware of things.
Sorry to hear about Disney World ; but maybe it would have been too overwhelming for him. crap !
I think you will be the coolest Van driving Mother in America !
Hugs
Petra
Soldiers Angel

Anonymous said...

The look on Kevin's face is priceless! It just warms my heart to see and to know that people like Atreyu care enough to make a soldier's day. Too funny that he didn't believe you that they were really coming! :D

I'm glad the shirt and the button arrived safely! I've never ordered from Cafepress before, so you just never know how things will turn out. I hope they work, too. The hoodie idea sounds pretty good, too.

Enjoy your time with Breezy at Disney! You two deserve a mini vacation. I hope your classes are productive and that you learn a lot. I'm off to look up the word "skyping" on Wikipedia. LOL!

Take care. I'll be praying for you all.

Anonymous said...

I discovered your blog through the DailyKos blog, where someone this morning posted a summary of your experience. There are several people in that community who are praying for you and yours, sending you their best wishes, and contacting state and local representatives on your behalf, as well as media outlets and the Bob Woodruff Foundation. I can't say that anything will or will not come to you in terms of material aide, but there are people who care about you and your family who have experience in fighting political battles. At least a few of them are making an effort today to bring positive pressure to bear on your situation. God bless you, Kevin, and your family.