Sunday, December 21, 2008

Day 204 - Dec 21, 2008

We got a huge surprise today! My nephew, Anthony, walked into Kevin's room this afternoon! I couldn't believe it!! I wanted him to come down for Christmas, but no more help on plane tickets is being done due to the economy. But in he walked!! I guess he decided at 3:00 this morning that he was going to come anyway so he bought a ticket and flew down. He will be here until next weekend so that will be cool.

He didn't tell his sister Chrissy that he was coming either. So we loaded Kevin into the van and drove out to St Petersburg to The Pier and showed up at her work. Chrissy nearly flew into Anthony - almost toppling the whole display of china next to him. Man, that was close, lol. It was such a nice moment and even Kevin was grinning from ear to ear (one of the few times he smiled today).

And (of course) we stopped at The Cheesecake Factory on the way home and bought a whole cake. Kev was in a really rotten mood all day today and sad to say - that didn't even help. But - I'm sure it will tomorrow when we give him a piece, lol.

I also had a visitor today and that was my friend Traci and her family. They drove down from Georgia to go to Busch Gardens. It was so nice getting to meet her as we only know each other online from a business that I once started - scrapmuse.com She recently purchased the business and we used to talk often. Her husband, Mike, is being deployed during the first quarter of the year and it was really nice to have a man talk to Kevin. He so rarely gets that as the bulk of the nurses are female.

So back to Kev - I'm not sure why he was in such a bad mood, but it lasted all day. I am hoping he just woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. Hopefully tomorrow he feels better. Due to this though, nothing much happened. It was all I could do to get him to go with us to The Pier.

And back to the donation thing...Emily - you know how to work me, lol. It was that "he is a soldier and he is a hero...let us thank him for that!!" line that got me!! The only thing I ask is that everyone please understands that we are not asking for donations. If you want to help with the house - we would really appreciate it. Kevin wants it so bad and I also want to make him happy. But also know that we would never be offended if someone didn't want to or couldn't help. This whole thing isn't about the money - it's about Kev. That being said though, any donations can be sent via Paypal to lesliekamm@gmail.com.

Well, I need to get to get the little tree I bought decorated for Christmas. Goodnight everyone!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear Kevin wasn't himself today, but what a great surprise to have your nephew visit! Having family around at Christmas makes it so special.
The skull plate surgery sounds promising and I pray it all comes together soon, with no infections in the way.
Hope you're enjoying the warm Florida weather! It's currently 7 degrees here in NY. Incidentally, my dad is going to be staying in St Pete's for the next three months as a "snowbird". Maybe you'll run into each other at the Pier! :)

Anonymous said...

I believe I have only left one comment WAY back when, but I've been following this blog pretty faithfully. (A friend led me to this blog as apparently her son knew Kevin in high school. I am from the Butler area in PA.) I am writing now because Christmas is approaching, and I want to take the opportunity of the season to say "THANK YOU" to Kevin and your family. You are a hero, and you have sacrificed everything so that my family and I can have our freedom. Reading this blog has helped me not to take that freedom for granted. Freedom is most definitely NOT free. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, Kevin, and Breezy. My prayer is that somehow through this all you find God's ultimate love and comfort. God bless.

Jodi S. in PA

Anonymous said...

Les...Glad I got to you... Kevin does deserve everything that anyone wants to send his way. Thank you for creating the account. I am so happy to hear Anthony made the trip...I know him and Kev were very close growing up. Gives you an added bright spot for Christmas! I bet you will be cooking the best meal ever...Enjoy your family and remember to celebrate the season. Continued prayers are being sent your way.
God Bless!
-Emily

Anonymous said...

Hello Leslie, Big Hello to Kevin!
I am a Soldiers Angel, that's where I found your blog.
Never read a blog before but Leslie, you write so well, I've been following it for weeks now and I feel like I know everyone so well!
Kevin..Thank you very much for your dedication, first to this great country of ours, secondly to your fierce will to get better.
You give the name Hero a new meaning.
Bout time you started to accept donations Leslie, isn't that how Barack Obama got elected? LOL
Kevin is so lucky to have a mom like you..amazing woman!
Annie

The Rock said...

Wonderful of Anthony to come for a visit ! Too bad Kevin didn't feel good ! Maybe it reminded him off the past , when he was well. I am sure it is frustrating for him because he can't communicate 2 good .?
Hopefully you will see a " nicer " Kevin tomorrow ! LOL
I am sure you will feel better when his plate is in ; and Kevin 2
I am wishing you strength and I hope things will get a little better for you all. You have a wonderful dedication to your children ! you are a wonderful Mother.
Hugs
Petra
Soldiers Angel