Friday, December 19, 2008

Day 202 - Dec 19, 2008

Today was another decent day. We tapped nearly 300 CCs of fluid today and it seems the more, the better. We also took a little jaunt to the video store and to Subway.

I will try to take pics of the van tomorrow. It is equipped with a lift and both front seats can be removed if necessary. This way, if Kev gets to the point where he can drive, we can remove the driver's seat and he can wheel right up to it. I do agree with whomever about the space in a van - it will come in handy when we drive back and forth from FL to PA (but I still don't like it, lol).

We also got the model of Kevin's plate (skull) today. I didn't have my camera with me at the time because I had just left the hospital and had to run back up there to give my stamp of approval on it so I don't have a picture to show you, but it is really neat. They basically just use a firm gel/waxy type substance and create Kevin's head with it. They leave out the part where he has no skull and they build a separate piece to fill in where it should go, thus creating the plate shape. From there, once it's okayed, they create the 'real' thing. Hopefully, we will get it in a week and then it needs to be sterilized for 48 hours before being placed in Kevin's head.

I have been told that although it sounds like an intense surgery, it's really not. It will only take about 3-4 hours and that's it. I can't wait because I so want it to fix the problem. And I think Kevin will feel better about himself once his head is shaped right.

Please, please let this work out...

8 comments:

Jodi said...

Keep the faith Les, it WILL work out! Kevin has made it this far in such great strides, he will continue to do so!!!
Sounds like every day is getting a little better, and that is so great to hear!!
Here is to an even better day tomorrow!

Healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
Strength and comfort for Leslie and Breezy.
Safe thoughts for all military personnel and strength for their families.
BIG HUGS AND ALL MY LOVE TO ALL OF YOU!!!!
I love you guys!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Alison said...

While it sounds like a super complicated surgery, like you said, it's probably not all that intense. Just fitting the piece in place and making sure that everything is secure up there.

I really think that having the surgery and having the plate - so that his head looks 'normal' again - is going to help Kevin so much in his confidence.

Praying that all goes quick and easy!

Long-time RN said...

It is a neat surgery, making minor adjustments and getting a 'good' fit. And it sounds as if it will make a world of difference cosmetically for Kevin. Hope and pray all progresses well until the surgery and the surgery goes smoothly. Good to read Kevin is doing better.

Anonymous said...

Bob Woodruff has the same type of plate (I'm photos are online of his head prior to the surgery; it looks just like Kevin's) and when you look at him on TV, you can't even tell.

Anonymous said...

That's great news! That's good that it will take 3-4 hrs. It's still a while, but I thought it would be longer. Wow- how exciting, scary but exciting! Can't wait to hear how everything goes! We wish you all the best!
It sounds like your van is very nice! I'm with you on not being a van person but I will be one if it works for Kevin! :)
Kathy in Iowa

The Rock said...

Hope, that Kevin get's many more good days. You are all in my prayers as always ! Good Luck with the Surgery !
Did you hear anything about the House? I hope you all get it

Vicki Chrisman said...

Great news that the surgery isnt as involved as it sounds. I think you are right.. certainly Kevin will feel better about things once the surgery is done! Hugs!

Miss Em said...

Leslie

GLAD to hear the m-van has the Lift.
Also it's good to hear that the seats are removable so Kevin can drive. Be prepared to add some extra devices if it's discovered that the trouble with the right leg doesn't allow for use with the go/stop pedals.

Great news about the Plate{skull}. I know both of you will be a lot happier when it done.

O-kay, P-B Mommie, looking forward to have pic's of the m-van with Kevin waiting to head for Subway and the Cheese Cake Factory. lol.

Take care of yourself.
Miss EM
Austell, Ga.