Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Day 192 - Dec 9, 2008

Well...things don't always work out as you plan. I got a call this morning from our nurse and had to hurry back to the hospital. Kevin's head is quite large again and the neurosurgeon actually drained 300 CCs of fluid this afternoon. He has had 2 CT scans today and we are just waiting until morning to see if he needs surgery again. Personally, I think it's already gotten larger so I am expecting for him to have another surgery. Sometimes though, tapping the head will 'prime' the shunt so maybe it will kick in overnight and all will be well again.

I knew it yesterday. I almost didn't go to the conference, but I didn't want to let Breezy down as we needed that time together. I don't regret it, not by a long shot, but I still feel bad that I wasn't here. It's just so hard having to be a mom to two kids when one of them requires so much of your time. I feel really bad for not doing more with Breezy, but it's just not easy to walk away when someone is like Kevin is. I just can't wait for him to have his cranioplasty and maybe some of these issues will go away. Then we can really get out there and do things as a family like we used to.

But, Breezy and I did have a lot of fun yesterday. We only had time to go to Epcot and walk around the World Showcase, but it was still a nice day. We really just enjoyed going to bed early as we just don't have time to do that here.

I did send her and Chrissy back to Disney World tonight too. The coalition had paid for the room and the hopper pass to the parks so I figured they might as well enjoy it. I plan to call the coalition after the event is over and see if they have any tapes of the classes. There were some I really needed to sit in on.

Well, I need to try to get to bed early tonight too as tomorrow is probably going to be a rough day. Wish us luck on the surgery and cross your fingers that the fluid they sent off is not an infection. If it is - our 6 month waiting period will have to start all over again and we are so close. SO CLOSE!!

Before I sign off - here is a pic of Kevin with Charlie Daniels from the other day:

10 comments:

WILL HAYDEN said...

One Super GREAT AMERICAN coming to visit..what a thrill that has to be.. Give'm Hell Kevin.
Will in Vancouver WA

Vicki Chrisman said...

Keeping you in my prayers!
Totally cool pic!

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

Praying things go well with Kevin's head and tests. That can't feel good or normal to him. I can't begin to imagine how *off* he must feel when this happens. I am sure your "Mama worry gene" has kicked in, as is natural. He will be OK.

My Mother always used to tell us, her four kids, to switch things around and see how we would feel. I think we all four still do that and now... so do our own kids. She always taught us to have compassion and show kindness. The *underdog* is who always caught my Mother's attention. She set a very good example for us all to follow.

I'm glad you got to go to Disneyworld, if only for a short time. It is most definitely the Magic Kingdom. I hope next time it will be OK for Kevin to go and that he will want to go too. It's a shame they are not taking a "group" of people from the hospital so he would not feel any different from the rest. I'm sure he'd want to go then and thoroughly have a blast. Disney simply brings out the kid in all of us.

Not going to write a book here, as usual, but have been seeing not as many have been posting like before.

Wanted to let you know, an old faithful ( me ) still thinks about you guys each and every single day..so decided to tell you so. I know everyone else does too..but it's just nice to feel loved and cared about. : )

When Brianna leaves, that is going to be your hardest. We will all be here for you. I'm sorry she can't stay too, as it is very tough to be separated from your kids. No matter how old they get, they are still our babies and that bonding just grows stronger.

If you think about the progress Kevin has made, it simply blows you away. I can't believe how far he has come ...in reality...in such a very short period of time.

God Bless you...all.
God listens and prayers do work.
Stay Strong.

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
It's always great to see pics of Kevin smiling!
The three of you are always in my thoughts and prayers....
Kim S

Jodi said...

Hi Gang,

Love the smile on Kev's face! Thanks for the pic!

Sorry to hear about Kev's head again. I will be thinking about you all day...good luck on the surgery if he has to have it today.

Okay Kev, you've made it this far...keep fighting kiddo!

Les, you are a fantastic mom, and I know Breezy is just as great of a person as you are, so I know she understands the circumstances. You are two amazing ladies...STAY STRONG!!!

EXTRA healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
EXTRA strength and comfort for Leslie and Breezy.
Safe thoughts for all military personnel and strength for their families.
EXTRA BIG HUGS AND ALL MY LOVE TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Anonymous said...

Leslie, I know I haven't posted for a while, but I'm still reading your blog, and there isn't a day that I don't think of and pray for you, Kevin, and Breezy. I'll be praying extra hard that there's no infection in the fluid they drained from Kevin's head; starting over again would be so discouraging, but like you have with everything else, I'm sure you'd deal with it in a positive way.

I understand how torn you must feel sometimes between the two kids and that Breezy has had to sacrifice a lot in order for you to give Kevin most of your time and attention. The fact that Breezy accepts this and doesn't make you feel guilty shows what a mature and givng young woman she is. And, that's due to you. You've done an amazing job raising your children, and considering that you did it alone as a single mom makes it even more amazing.

I hope and pray everything goes well today for Kevin.

Love, Sherri

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
Although sometimes you feel you are neglecting Breezy, she does understand (not when you interrupt her LOL) but she does understand and she is a very passionate person and a wonderful daughter (that I have adopted, sorry you have to share, what are friends for)and seeing you two pick on each other is priceless, and something that no tragedy will ever separate, so ease up on feeling guilty and remember she will always be there for you as you are for her. I hope Kevin's day turns out for the better. Remember I am only a phone call away and once I move to my trailer park in Florida I'll only be 5 mins. away LOL Love you all
Tracy A. Jack

Kris said...

AWESOME PIC!!! Loads of extra prayers are coming your way today Leslie, Breezy & Kevin!! Praying sooooooo hard that the clock doesn't have to be reset, and that the surgery went perfectly without incident. And of course that Kevin is feeling better and is stable after.

God bless you all. We're all out here praying for you and praying with you - every single day. Big, enormous HUGS are coming your way too.

- Kris, a Soldiers' Angel from RI

Anonymous said...

I hope Kevin's surgery went well today and that he has no infections! That would be such a shame after all this time. I pray that God would help Kevin's body and spirit through this frustrating time.

It's good that you spent time with Breezy at Disney and I'm glad you sent her back. I've never been, but it sounds like a wonderful experience.

Hang in there, and try not to let the "mother guilt" get to you. You're doing the best you can with what you have. God will give you the strength that you need to be there for both kids.

Unknown said...

It has been really great getting to see those pictures of ALL of you smiling and happy. You can see the love in all of your eyes for each other. Leslie, you are a wonderful mom and you obviously have wonderful kids.

Kevin's progress is nothing short of amazing and I am sure that he will continue on his journey to get better. He has bypassed so many odds. He is the American Heroe just like so many more of our military personal.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
debbie