Thursday, December 4, 2008

Day 187 - Dec 4, 2008

Yay! We made it to see one of the houses tonight! I personally thought it was very nice, but Kevin didn't really like it. We are taking him to see the one we all really liked the most tomorrow evening, so keep your fingers crossed. It would be nice if he liked it and the bank was willing to work with us on the price. Then I can put the house hunting away and move on with just getting him better.

Speaking of getting better, Kevin walked today and it was amazing! He actually was able to pull himself up into a standing position all by himself and he can even move the right leg (taking steps) quite a bit without help. I was so impressed!! He walked the parallel bars back and forth four times (taking a break between each walk). He is even getting better with keeping his head upright too. It really was something to see! I am just so proud of him!

And now for some bad news...we were told today that Kevin really shouldn't go to Disney. The docs don't really feel he is well enough to go. I am very bummed about this and in some ways I can agree with them, but in other ways I don't. I already figured that we were going to spend the bulk of the time in our room anyway, but I guess it's a moot point. There's always next year, I guess. And in the meantime, we will just keep going around town. They wanted me to not really take him anywhere even in Tampa, but that I won't do. He needs to be reintroduced to society and I can't wait for rec therapy to do it because it's just not happening.

Well, everyone please keep your fingers crossed on Kevin liking this house. This is the one that is bank owned. It was a model home that has never been lived in. I am hoping Kev can look past the green algae filled pool and the dead cockroaches and everything like that, lol. It really is beautiful, but it has been neglected for close to a year now. I just hope that the bank is willing to see my list of needed repairs and general cleanup and price it accordingly. Time will tell, I guess...we need Kevin to like it first anyway...

11 comments:

Jenny Adams said...

Hi Lesley, really thrilled that Kevin took some steps! WOW! You didn't mention the nausea - hope that was ok this time.

Good luck with the house shopping - really hope the house you take Kevin to see tomorrow he will love!

Good luck,

Jenny in Australia

PS I get very happy every time you report good news!

Jodi said...

Hi Gang!!!

YAY Kev!! Keep up the great job of walking kiddo! I am so proud of you!! That is awesome news!!

Sorry about the Disney trip not happening, but I am glad you are going to keep taking him out. I agree with you on that!

Good luck on the house you want! My fingers are crossed for you! Can you post some pics of it??

Sorry I was away a few days. My boyfriend was in town for the holiday, and I wasn't around a computer much. But I have caught up on all the posts. I missed you guys and reading everyday :-). But you were and are ALWAYS in my thoughts and heart....

Healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
Strength for Leslie and Breezy.
Safe thoughts for all military personnel and strength for their families.
BIG HUGS AND ALL MY LOVE TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Alison said...

Great news about the walking. I'm sure that the more and more Kevin is able to get up and around (even with the help of the bars and slings and the like) that it'll help his balance and his brain get used to being upright. I can't imagine spending all day in bed and then trying to get up to walk and not feeling completely off.

I hope things with the house go well, and that the bank cooperates. Will be sending thoughts in your direction.

I agree about continuing to take Kevin out and about town as well. The only way he is going to get used to it is by doing it. Walking around the hospital just isn't the same.

Anonymous said...

Just a lurker from back home...my parents live in Florida, near Tampa.

There is a wonderful zoo in Tampa, the Lowry Park Zoo. It might be a nice day outing for all of you (or if Kevin can't go, just you and your daughter)

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful news about Kevin walking more!!!! He's really going at it! :)
I hope you are able to buy a home soon too- good luck with the one you are looking at next!
Take care and have a great weekend!
Kathy in Iowa

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie so glad you got a few hours for you. WALKING, WOW how great he has come a long way. You have every right to be proud, I am proud and he doesn't even know me. Maybe call that number I gave you for Senator, he should know what help out there for you to get a van I know there is but not sure of details. Use to work with menally disabled. Happy house hunting and good luck. Take care Martha K

Unknown said...

So excited that Kevin is walking! How absolutely wonderful. And I will say many prayers in hopes he likes the house. Remembering Kevin, he has a GREAT imagination...so let's hope he can "see" the potential you need him to! Always reading, always wishing you the best. Many prayers. love. Hugs. Always

Anonymous said...

Hi Les, Wow Kevin is doing so well honey. What great strides he is making. That is also from having the support of his wonderful Mom and sister. Good to hear your voice on Sunday. We had such a nice visit and had a whole weekend with Ryan which was GREAT. Take care honey and I will call over the weekend hope to talk to you. Love ya, Pam

Miss Em said...

Leslie,

What wonderful news. Walking the parallel bars 4 times. If you had waited like everyone wanted then he would not be as far along as he is today. When one is stimulated and encouraged then one can accomplish the difficult even sooner than expected.

Kevin you keep working on getting the job done. Everyone online is doing little dances and shouting 'Yeah-You go Kevin!' You may not hear us but we are all excited for each and everyone of your accomplishment no matter how small or how big. They all add up to you getting a good life.

Leslie, I will keep my fingers crossed on the house. If that house is the one that will help Kevin to get better and help him to have an easier time living in it then you must convince him. You've got to help him to see what it will do for him in his recovery and future life style.

Sorry to hear about the trip to Disney but a trip to the Tampa Zoo just might be the thing to help with the all the anxiousness on going out and about town.

Anonymous said...

Why don't the doctors want you taking him out in Tampa? He seems to do so well.

Anonymous said...

Kevin must be really working on his strength to be able to pull himself upright! Good for him!

Bummer that he can't go to Disney World. What are the doctors worried about? His stamina or getting hurt? He seemed to be doing really well on his field trips, so far (especially when cheesecake was involved! lol). Oh, that makes me think, whatever happened to the helmet he was having made for him?

I hope you and Kevin were able to come to an agreement on a house today. It will be exciting for you all to have your own place again.