Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Day 193 - Dec 10, 2008

Things just aren't very good with Kevin right now. The neurosurgeon chose not to perform surgery because he said there doesn't seem to be a reason that the shunt isn't working. I was really pissed because the guy didn't even come and tell us that until 5pm this evening. By that time the nurses had cathed him and everything as a prep for surgery. And he hadn't been allowed to even have a drink since midnight last night. Ridiculous!!

So what he is saying is that he feels it's the brain damage not knowing there is pressure causing the shunt to not work. That just makes no sense to me. It's worked up til now - so what's the difference between last week and this one?

But regardless, they are priming the shunt every two hours for the next few days and going to see if that will work. I'm not really sure if we can do this for a few days, to be truthful. His head is already way larger than it was yesterday before they pulled the 300 CCs of fluid off. He was only awake for about 15 minutes total today since I got here (9am and it's now 11pm) and that 15 mins was because we had to wake him to prime the shunt twice already. He hasn't had anything to eat and he has taken 2 sips of gatorade when I woke him to take his pills. And sad to say - but those 2 sips of fluid caused him to nearly throw up each time. He has been holding the bucket in his hand more often than not today - even while sleeping.

So the docs answer long term - rush the cranioplasty. Although it's not a definite, sometimes having your flap (skull) replaced fixes most everything. A lot of times it regulates the pressure taking the need for the shunt away. I can only hope so because it scares me to think of having to deal with this shunt stuff for the rest of our lives. I just don't want Kev to have to keep going through this.

But anyway, they are aiming for early Jan for the plate to be placed in his head. I sure hope this priming thing works for now though. We just can't stay this way!

Well, I am going to quit for now. I will be staying at the hospital overnight tonight and I want to curl up in the chair for a little nap.

Oh - and before I forget - so far there is no infection showing up in the fluid!!

12 comments:

Long-time RN said...

So glad to read the culture is clean so far! Terrific! Keeping Kevin in thoughts and prayers. Take care of yourself.

Jodi said...

Hi Les,

Well, on the positive side, no infection so far. That is great!

But I am so sorry Kevin is having to go thru this trouble again. I don't understand why the doctor won't do anything?? Even a temporary fix until the cranioplasty?? Isn't there another doctor you can talk to and get another opinion?? Why does Kevin have to suffer?? I am sorry, but I don't understand.....

I am sorry Les, but, like you, I don't want Kevin to suffer any more than he has to. I just wish there were something they could do...

Kev, hang in there kiddo! Don't give up your fight! We are all pulling for you out here!

STAY STRONG!!!!!!!

EXTRA healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
EXTRA strength and comfort for Leslie and Breezy.
Safe thoughts for all military personnel and strength for their families.
EXTRA BIG HUGS AND ALL THE LOVE IN THE WORLD FOR YOU 3!!!!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Alison said...

Hopefully getting the plate in his skull will fix these problems with the shunt and allow the pressure to regulate itself better. SO GLAD to hear that there's no infection so far on the fluid they took out of his head. Fingers crossed it stays this way.

Sending good thoughts that this gets resolved soon so Kevin can get back to eating Subway and cheesecake and all that stuff. :D

Anonymous said...

Hello Leslie,
Extra love and prayers your way. Hope today brings you answers for Kevin and help for this new turn.
Love ya girl,

Anonymous said...

We continue to pray for you guys. Yes, that's great news about having no infection!
I hope everything gets figured out and Kevin feels better very soon!
We're thinking of you!
Kathy in Iowa

Anonymous said...

EVERY SINGLE DAY I READ WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY LESLIE ... BUT TODAY I WAS AFRAID TO OPEN AND READ ... KEVIN'S JOURNEY IS SO REAL, AS I READ HIS STRUGGLES ... I CAN FEEL IN MY HEART [ AND MIND] THE WONDER OF ALL HE HAS BEEN THROUGH ... SILENT CHEERS FOR ONE FEARCE WARRIOR ...AND SILENT TEARS FOR HIS FAMILY THAT MUST LIVE THE DAILY STRUGGLE ... SUCH JOY FOR ALL THE PICTURES OF KEVIN HAPPY & SMILING ... HIS STORY WON'T BE FORGOTTEN ... I AM WITH SOLDIER ANGELS AND WRITE OUR WOUNDED BUT KEVINS STORY IS THE ONLY SO FAR I HAVE ATTACHED MYSELF TO DAILY ... SOME FOLKS READ THE BIBLE DAILY, I READ THE HEARTACHES & JOY OF KEVIN'S SURVIVAL AND FOR NOW IT IS MY BIBLE ,GIVING ME STRENGTH EACH DAY MAKING ME WHINE LESS ABOUT DAILY LIFE ... APPRECIATING WHAT I DO HAVE TO BE THANKFUL FOR ... YES, MY BIBLE TO UNDERSTANDING LIFE AND HOW PRECIOUS LIFE IS ... ISN'T THAT WHAT JESUS WANTED? TO LOVE OUR FELLOW HUMANS? RELIGIOUS FANATIC? NO! BUT A HUMAN WITH GREAT COMPASSION FOR OUR SOLDIERS ... KNOWING THAT WITHOUT THEM HEARING THE CALL TO 'SERVE' ... I WOULD NOT BE 'FREE'!!! KEVIN AND ALL HIS COMRADES ARE MY 'SUPER' HEROS ... THE FUTURE OF AMERICA ... THANK YOU ~~ I WILL END TODAY WITH : BLESSINGS TO YOU KEVIN AND YOUR FAMILY ... YOUR MOTHER'S WORDS ARE NOT LOST ON ME AND YOUR GREAT SACRIFICE TO AMERICA WILL RING CLEAR FOR THE REST OF MY DAYS ~~

~DLR ~
IN ARIZONA

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Les and Breezy! Extra prayers and thoughts are being sent your way. Your love for Kevin is amazing, and inspires many. Remember to get rest for yourselves...so you can continue to care for Kev.
Love and Prayers from Pennsylvania!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that Kevin is feeling poorly again. I just can't imagine how he keeps going week after week, not to mention how difficult this is for you to watch. As an earlier poster mentioned, it sure makes a person realize how insignificant their own complaints are when they read about what you all are dealing with. But, on a brighter note, there's no infection and that's a good thing. I'll be thinking about you and praying as always.

Love, Sherri

Anonymous said...

Im glad to see things have come a long way since this all started. My prayers are with all of you. I miss seeing you around here Les.
_Shawn "cupcake" Collins

Anonymous said...

keeping Kevin in our prayers - by name- nightly. God bless you Leslie!

Vicki Chrisman said...

Glad to hear there is no infection..but feeling so bad you guys are having to go through all this again.
I think of you so often Les.. wish I was closer to be of more support to you in times like this. HUGS friend!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. This roller coaster ride must get so tiring for all of you. Just know that you are all in the thoughts and prayers of many, many, many people out here in internetland. Sending up an extra few prayers today for you guys. Gosh, I think I've fallen in love with that boy's grin!