Monday, December 1, 2008

Day 184 - Dec 1, 2008

It was another pretty good day. We didn't make it down to the house until this evening, but it was still overall a good day.

Breezy and I went and looked at a house this afternoon and we left Kevin with a sitter. During that time, he did refuse PT and only allowed half of his time of OT, so it looks like either Breezy or myself needs to be here to force him to do these things.

Unfortunately he will be left alone again tomorrow for a while as we have to run to the airport to pick up Tracy and her husband and then we need to run out to look at another home. I think I have it pretty much narrowed down and am planning to take Kevin out to look at the one community and the homes I think he may like. We will be getting the van again on Friday as we go to Disney on either Sun or Mon, so I figured this is the best time to go.

I'm a little worried about the Disney thing. So far - he is truly refusing to go. I sure hope he changes his mind. There was a lot of work and expense involved by the Coalition to Salute American's Heroes and I hate to see it being wasted. Surely, surely he will go...

I am going to hit some of the questions for now and then head home:

Jessica - all of the soldiers here would love to get Christmas cards! Send them on!!

Em - I really like the idea of putting his Airborne flag over him. We might just do that!

Anonymous - I will try to mention the communication board. I don't know why that hasn't been offered, but I am sure there is a good reason...

Alison - you thought we could get a sitter to sit with Kevin while we house shopped and that's basically what we are doing. We have been riding around at night to weed out those that we don't want to waste daylight hours on as we are limited on how much time we will leave Kevin.

Selma - I will contact you shortly. I have company coming in tomorrow so it may be a few days or so. If I forget - remind me. I am the dumbest I have ever been lately...

Ok, gotta run. One more house to drive by tonight.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep an eye out for a package for Kevin (to the hospital address) on Wednesday (hopefully) from Cafepress. I sent him that Afghanistan Veteran button I showed you, as well as a t-shirt with a cool picture of the Afghanistan desert that says Veteran on it. It took me forever to decide which shirt might be deemed cool enough by a 20 year old guy. ;)

I hope you can convince Kevin to go to Disney World, although I can certainly understand his sensitivity. It would be so nice for him to get out to someplace fun!

I'll let my sister know so she can get her students started on their cards! Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
Did Kevin ever receive the
pictures that the preschool classes at Mother Goose Christian Preschool colored for him?
Enjoy your visit with Tracy and Jody,I'm sure it will be nice to see them again.We will be watching
and listening to see just what trouble Kevin and Tracy get into.
I guess Kevin works hard for you two cause he knows you and
Breezy both mean business...
Kim S

Long-time RN said...

Hope Kevin says it's a 'go' for Disney. Sounds like you're narrowing down a little on the house search. Keeping Kevin in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Les,
I saw on one of your post that Breezy was coming back to PA to live. When you get the place is shecoming back there? I know she has had issues with her hotel. I am sure she will be happy to get to a nice CLEAN place for awhile. A bit of advise for her-if the place has bugs, leave her suitcases outside and empty them in a garage or carport and wash all her clothes before she takes her stuff into the home. Those little critters hide very well and that could help with bringing them into her new place.
I hope Kevin feels up to going to Disney and good luck house huntin!
Love
Susan

Anonymous said...

I have a question that may have been covered already. You had said that Kevin is aware of how his head looks and that he might not go out in Disneyland because of that. Have you considered a "hoodie" type of garment that it seems all the young people are wearing these days? It would offer some sence of head cover, if that is what he needs to leave his hotel room. I don't know what he is allowed on his head, or maybe you already tried that? I really want him to get out - this trip is such a wonderful opportunity for your young hero son.

Hugs,

Cathy M

Anonymous said...

I hope you don't mind if I leave a suggestion about how to help Kevin feel more comfortable about his head. Would it be too warm for him to wear a hooded sweatshirt? Then he could have the hood to cover his head & it wouldn't put pressure on his injury. These days there are even short-sleeved shirts and vests that are made with hoods. Best wishes!!