Friday, April 30, 2010

Day 700 - Apr 29, 2010

I was on the phone most of the day with the VA and various case managers. It turns out that we are only getting 15 hours of the aide a week like I had originally posted. I guess I have 30 6-hour days of respite care available in case of an emergency (or if I want to go on vacation or for whatever reason) and someone assumed that I wanted to use 2 days a week of that, giving me 25 hours. I'm not really sure who made that assumption, but I sure don't want to use emergency days up. With my dad being sick, it would be irresponsible of me.

We also have an 'emergency' of sorts going on right now. Breezy took her car to have her breaks fixed because she was tapping the floor every time she needed to use them. It turns out that - because the car sat in PA for a year or so (without being run at all) - the whole underside is nothing but rust. The mechanic she took it to said he wouldn't want his sister getting in it so I am flying to FL tomorrow to bring the other car to TX. It is just not in our budget to buy anything right now and besides that - she hasn't worked long enough (post Kevin's injury) to get a loan. So I leave in the morning, spend one evening with my parents and then drive 17 hours back to Texas. I'm not afraid of driving by myself, but I do wish I had someone to ride with me. I know how tired I am and that is the only thing that worries me.

But it is what it is. And this will enable me to get a bunch of things that we need from the house.

So Joseph, the aide, will come and sit with Kevin tomorrow until Breezy can get here after work. She will stay with Kevin the rest of the weekend. Joseph did come today again, but Kevin was pretty mad all day. He wants to go home to FL and assures me that he can handle the car ride, but we all know he can't. Besides that, I don't think he can even handle the flight. He can barely sit up in bed without screaming in pain. Can you imagine take off and landings? No way.

And now I really need to get to bed. I will say that I slept like a rock last night. It was just so wonderful! I sure hope I can do it again tonight...

6 comments:

GrannieEv said...

safe travels

Anonymous said...

Please be careful on your short expedition! We will all be praying for your safety and that Kevin handles your being away well.
Hallie

Anonymous said...

Have a safe trip!
Keeping everyone in my prayers...
A.

Miss Em said...

Have a safe trip.

Yes we all know that Kevin at this time will not be able to handle that long car ride.
I WILL not even think about him getting on an airplane right now because I don't want that picture in my head.
Sometimes Mom just has to put that boot down and say "NO!" and stick to it even when the heart wants to say yes.

I wish Breezy good luck this week-end.

Miss Em
Austell, Ga.

janet said...

Wishing you safe travelling and a good visit with your parents. I'm sure we're all wishing we were close enough to help with the driving. Kevin, Breezy, Joseph...hope you have a positive weekend too.
blessings,
janet in Massachusetts

(first time commenter- but I've been following for awhile)

karen said...

Safe trip to you, peaceful, good weekend for Breezy and Kevin ... don't forget to pack some good music -- something you might not get in "real life" right now!