Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Day 690 - Apr 19, 2010

Up until today I have felt this apartment was just perfect for us. But today? TODAY - the elevator malfunctioned!!! Now let me tell you that our apartment is on the fourth floor and you guessed it - Kevin had to walk up all four flights of stairs! I am spitting nails!

First let me preface this by saying that we had went to the movies today to see Alice in Wonderland and Kevin did pretty well until the end. I think it was just because he was sitting for so long, but regardless - he was hurting pretty bad by the time it was over.

So we headed home, but he was so nauseous that we had to keep stopping and it was all I could do to get him out of the car and into his wheelchair to come up to the apartment. Then we get into the elevator area and Kevin hit the button and nothing. So he hit it again and still nothing. We waited, thinking maybe someone was holding it, but really, it just wasn't moving at all.

Now you had to know that I got on the phone and called maintenance, but I had to leave a message and by then people were walking past us and everyone was telling us that it was broken down. In about five or ten minutes someone from the apartment complex called me back and told me that they were sending someone to help get him upstairs, but no one ever came.

It took Kevin AN HOUR to climb those four flights of stairs. He had to rest 10-20 minutes in between each flight and he was so sick by the time we got to our apartment! I AM LIVID!!!

Worse - I was informed that the elevators have broken down four times in the last six/seven months and the one time it was 13 days before it was fixed! Say WHAT?!!

Don't you think that the office people would have told me that knowing Kevin was in a wheelchair and sick?

I am furious! I can't even begin to tell you how mad I am. Why wouldn't they tell me? And now what am I going to do? Are we supposed to stay here risking Kevin having to do this gosh knows how many times over the next year? I already looked all night at houses for rent and once again - there just isn't much out there that fulfills all of his needs. And frankly, I am just too damn tired to move all this stuff by myself again.

Man, I am really PISSED OFF! Kevin has a doctor's appointment tomorrow and I don't know whether to cancel it now or wait and see what tomorrow brings. Especially because I am wound so tight I probably won't sleep a wink. It's already almost 3am and I am still blowing steam from my ears!

Geez! Why can't something - just one flippin' little thing - go right for once?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I guess it depends on how long it takes to fix it each time it breaks down. Is it an all day thing or just a minor adjustment, you know? I'd be upset too and am sorry that it happened. Well, maybe you could get an agreement with them that if it happens when no one is able to fix it, they pay for your first floor motel that night. I guess it's hard to know until they say exactly what is wrong with it and how long it is not in service. Hopefully it is a minor adjustment type thing. I would keep the appt. until you hear from them. Also let them know that he has the appt. and needs it in working condition. What a pain.
On a lighter note, I'm so glad you were able to go to the movie! :)
I hope you hear good news today regarding the elevator.
Take care,
Kathy in IA

Anonymous said...

http://www.advocacyinc.org/index.cfm

Check with these people...They are an advocacy group for the disabled...They won't be able to help with the other issues that you have but THIS is right up their alley...They will jump on this for sure...Call them and they will have the issue fixed or arrangements made in no time...This isn't a VA issue so I wouldn't expect them to help but these issues are what these groups were created for.

GrannieEv said...

You have every right to be po'd since they knew they were renting to someone in a wheelchair. Then to say they were sending help and didn't! Seems like you're working under Murphy's Law. Hope it's fixed and your day is better today.

Cathy M said...

I know how frustrating things can be and I DO SO wish things would be smoother for you. But, please just relax if you can, call that advocacy group right away, and smile at your sweet boy. It is just a stupid elevator and your miracle son is right there in front of you. As I recall, Kevin reacts to your upset times and that probably does not help. Smile, Kevin is out of the hospital. Yeah!!!

Today WILL be a better day!

Hugs...

Tracey from Pgh. said...

That just sucks! Sorry that you both had to go through that. Hopefully, that advocacy group will be able to help you.

karen said...

That's crappy. =-( I hope the advocacy people get right on this!
karen

Anonymous said...

I was going to suggest an advocacy group also. It has to be some sort of violation of the ADA to not have a working elevator in a building with 4 floors. I would raise holy hell over that.

Hopefully you can get someone to raise holy hell for you. Because it is complete crap that you have to deal with this on top of everything else. I would be livid too. I'm so sorry.

Lisa D in Cali

Anonymous said...

Wow that really sucks, I'd be on someone's backside constantly until the problem is resolved.
Hope you have a better day today !

Anonymous said...

Oh, how awful...
A.

Long-time RN said...

The advocacy group sounds like a great idea. Another phone call, but may be well worth it.

Certainly would be a wonderful thing for you and Kevin to have some smooth sailing.

Was wondering what you were going to do about your empty house. Good to read your parents are able to move in for a bit.

Thoughts and prayers.