Sunday, April 18, 2010

Day 689 - Apr 18, 2010

Unbelievably, Kevin has been sitting in the living room all night watching tv/movies. We sat and watched Horton Hears A Who, then Rat Race (a fav or ours) and now he is flipping channels. Actually, it appears we have landed on The Mighty Ducks.

So we didn't really do anything today. We never left the house, both of us just vegging around. It was a really nice day so I turned off the air and threw all the windows up. I made some chocolate chip cookies for dessert and Kevin is munching on those right now.

I did want to mention something. A few of you were surprised that Kevin could hook his XBox up so I figured I needed to clarify that Kevin pretty much knows what's going on around him at all times. He knows how to run every electronic device out there, he knows how to get around the stores by himself and also how to pay for things using his debit card. We are making great strides in the talking department and he was able to tell me where he was in Target the other day when I called him (sorta, lol. He told me 'bananas' so I went to the front where the fruit was, but he was actually in the freezer aisle that had a picture of bananas on the endcap. It's a start though, right?). So he showers himself and does everything - the only thing I have to do is help him with his deodorant. He understands what he wants AND what he doesn't. He knows his meds better than anyone - not the names of them - but the pills and the doses. He is reading more and more and he can do addition and subtraction very easily (even large numbers). He knows almost every movie within three seconds of viewing it and often uses them to communicate things that I just can't understand the normal way (charades). All in all, he has really come a LONG way cognitively in the last six months or so.

This is not to say that he is recovered by any means. We have many more years of therapy ahead of us, but he really has made wonderful improvements.

And to wrap things up, Miss Em - you asked about my parents and they are doing well. Dad is getting stronger every day and will be starting another round of chemo shortly. I don't know if I mentioned it, but they moved into our home in FL so that it doesn't stay empty for a year. It's already been empty so much over the last year and I hated to leave it that way. It will also help us cover the expense of running two homes.

And Mel - I will tell Maritza 'hi' next time I see her! Should be this week one day.

And for those grapeseed oil users - can you buy it anywhere or only in specialty shops?

5 comments:

Grant Grdunac said...

BANANAS! HAHAHA that made me laugh. Great to hear of his progress!! Will you guys be around for riverfest this year?

karen said...

We buy grapeseed oil at our grocery stores ... I think our Costco even carries it. This being Vancouver, a very health conscious city and region, it is everywhere. I first learned about it at a pre-natal yoga class -- to use in place of baby oil when massaging your baby. Apparently it is higher in nutrients than a lot of oils as well as having that higher flashpoint I mentioned earlier.

Talking about the kettlecorn made me hungry for some. Tomorrow I have to be up and out of the house early (5am) to line up for preschool (!!!) registration so I thought I'd make some to take with me.

Unfortunately, I ate some of the corn, cuz I couldn't not, and my husband, who said he wouldn't have any, gobbled up the rest! So ... guess I will have to suffer hungerpains till the coffee shops near the community centre open!

Brain injuries are such funny things, affecting one thing but not another, allowing a person to retain certain knowledge but not other stuff had plenty of his faculties when you mentioned how much he cared about going out now that the plate that makes his head round has been removed.

Ultimately I think vanity is an important indicator of character and functionality! (In my non-professional opinion, of course.) I really respect your son for getting on with it, and getting out there, despite the (current) loss. That shows as much character as the photos posted here.

Sorry. This is long.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for letting us know about what Kevin can do. It was so interesting to read.
It was so nice to read that you had a peaceful day of watching some tv, making cookies, and just hanging out. Everyone needs those kinds of days and more importantly you guys!
I'm glad to hear your parents are doing good and that they moved into your house. We continue to pray for them as well as you, Kevin, and Breezy.
Have a great Monday!
Kathy in IA

Anonymous said...

Lots of good news... :)
A.

Miss Em said...

Hi Leslie,

So wonderful to read about Kevins many steps and how he is arranging them to make his world work easier.

Good to hear that your Dad & Mom are doing well.
Was happy to hear that they had moved into the house. I have a feeling that the house is being enjoyed to the 9's.
Bad things seem to happen when a house is left all alone & the bad people find out so having Mom & Dad there eases the worries about it.

Hope all is going well today.

Miss Em
Austell, Ga.