Thursday, April 29, 2010

Day 699 - Apr 28, 2010

Thanks to everyone for their support and kind words. I can't even begin to explain how the comments keep me going sometimes. When I hit a low, I just hear your words and it prods me into 'wiping the sweat and driving on' (in the words of a member of The Herd).

So an aide came today. Now you just can't imagine how excited Kevin was when he showed up with a Steelers tattoo on his arm and a Steelers bag with his tricks of the trade inside. You should have seen Kevin's grin, lol.

And they did hit it off pretty well. Kevin actually got up and gave him a tour of the apartment and then they watched some TV together (Spaceballs, I think). They discussed music and it was nice to see Kevin up and about for a while. I was really happy to see the guy not minding that Kevin needed quiet and to lay down for a while too.

After he left, Kevin took a nap for an hour or so and we decided to go to the mall. I am struggling to find things to do with him that are really close by. Tomorrow, I plan to scope the area out once the aide gets here. I am told he will be here 25 hours a week and that is even better than I thought. I DO plan to get out and do things at least twice a week - even if it is only an hour. It is one of my goals to get Kevin as independent as I possibly can. I am hoping just having a 30 year old male around may help as well, but I am going to truly leave the apt as much as I think Kevin can handle (or maybe even nap? Egads!).

And now I am seriously going to bed. I can only hope Kevin will allow me to get some sleep. My eyeballs hurt and I have this thumping headache tonight, which is very unusual for me. I can only assume it's because I am working my butt off trying to get an audit done for both the court system and the VA. I have been entering transactions into Quicken for days now and I am nowhere near done. Maybe having the aide here will help me complete it. Truly - I just need some uninterrupted time to get it done...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Kevin's aide came yesterday and that they already have the Steelers in common! It sounds like he is already going to work out really great for Kevin! :) It will also be nice for you as well! I'm so excited for you guys! And 25 hrs a week! Yeah! :)
Hope your audit is done soon.
Have a good one! (I had to watch the "Mom" video again- it strikes me so funny!)
Kathy in IA

Cathy M said...

Great news about the aide. I SO hope this works out. Do you know anything yet of how long he has been an aide and the extent of his experience? He might have all kinds of ideas of how to work with Kevin to not only keep him occupied but to teach him some new words/concepts, etc. and maybe get him outside for a short walk. Great news!

Anonymous said...

Dear Ms. Mended,

Truly you are an inspiring woman. Words can not describe how much you have given for you and your son. Your strength and your ability to go on is amazing. Please know that you and your son are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Jessica said...

That's great about the new aide! I really hope it works out. 25 hours a weeks sounds like it will be good for you, too, so you can get your work done. And maybe even nap!

I'm glad that our comments are encouraging to you. Sometimes I just don't know what to say because I know that I can't possibly imagine what you and Kevin are going through. But always know that I'm here reading your posts, rooting for you, praying for you and Kevin, and keeping you in my thoughts. I think you're an amazing mom and hope you get the support you and Kevin deserve with this Caregiver's bill. Take care.