Friday, April 16, 2010

Day 686 - Apr 15, 2010

So yesterday was a bit rough. Kevin never really does well with change and he fought against everything at the apartment. Nothing was right as far as he was concerned. It really was a horrendous night and I am so glad that it's over.

Today was much better. Once he gave it a chance, he saw that things are not as bad as he thought. Granted, the bed they brought really isn't going to work, but he has no choice but to sleep in it until a replacement can be brought. And he really is seeing that it's nice to be able to sleep without constant interruptions and to just get back to being more independent.

As for the doctor, the therapist and the case managers that came today - I was very impressed. They really looked over the apartment and gave me some insight into things with TBI patients and they also discussed possible therapies and other services available to Kevin. I really liked each and every one of them and felt that we will have a good 'working' relationship.

And Kevin decided tonight that we were going to the mall. I had planned to stay in as it was his first day home and it was rainy and yucky out there. But he was adamant that we go shopping to buy a belt (his old one won't go around his waist anymore). So we loaded up and headed 4 miles down the road to the mall. He did fantastic. He picked out some new clothes, sunglasses, a hat and a wallet at Pac-Sun. It was just so nice to do 'normal' things with him again. And he did so well in the car - even listening to the dreaded screamo music.

I really needed to run to Walmart after the mall for milk and things, but I could tell Kevin was getting too tired so we just went home. Not surprisingly, he went to bed immediately for a little nap.

After that, he just organized his closet. I am not buying dressers, we are totally using our closets for everything and since he has to have everything in it's proper place, he spent some time getting it just right. I noticed he also hooked up his XBox.

It's amazing when you think about it, isn't it? The kid almost completely understands what's going on around him and he can do so many things we never thought he'd be able to do. I told the docs today that I expect Kevin to be somewhere in the 90 percentile recovered when this is all over. It's going to be years down the road, and it's going to be a rough road too, but I do feel he can pretty much be his old self someday. He's already made great strides toward that goal...

And I am going to leave you with two photos from the other day. The first is me and Martiza and the second is Kevin doing rabbit ears to one of the therapists. I don't think she ever knew that he was doing it. It was so funny!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a better day. I'm so happy for you! :)
It's good he had fun at the mall and did so well.
Thank you for sharing the pictures too! It always makes me smile seeing all of you happy! The picture with the rabbit ears cracks me up! ha
Have a great weekend!
Kathy in IA

Anonymous said...

Hello!! He hooked up his xbox? I'm not even sure what that is let alone being able to hook it up. I congratulate myself for being able to work my TV!! So happy always to see pictures. I think he looks wonderful. Hope things keep moving forward. Take care and as always we continue to pray for all of you!
Melissa Ion.

Anonymous said...

I had the same reaction as Melissa, wait, what? He hooked up his xbox? Awesome. Glad that yesterday was better. Know that we're still praying for you and hope to see y'all soon.
Give Maritza a hug and kiss from me.
Mel Birdwell

Tracey from Pgh. said...

I believe also that some day, Kevin will be pretty much back to his old self. That picture of Kevin doing the rabbit ears is priceless!! Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

A boy and his XBOX = a match made in Heaven.

: )

So glad for Kevin.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that amazed me too. I know what an Xbox is, but to hook it up would take me quite a while to figure out. Also.....had to google screamo! So funny, the terms these days. It does fit tho.....I was wondering if that is what he listened to before he went in the Army or if that is what he heard while deployed. Sometimes just listening to it could bring back good memories of being with his buddies. For me,......yeah its dreaded!

Sounds like Kevin is making good strides. Hang in there Leslie, you are doing a great job.

Continued prayers,
Anita

karen said...

Cherry blossoms on our street are in full bloom right now. Today I drove past one that happens to have either grown up to accommodate something in it's way or been pruned a certain way that left a side not rounded as they usually are.

Funny, when I saw it, it made me think of Kevin ... though I do now know him other than here.

From what you write, his spirit is as lovely and as strong as that unique cherry blossom tree. It looked different, but the beauty shines through, much like your photos of Kevin.

Glad he's got his Xbox hooked up, his closet in order and his humour more-or-less intact. I very much look forward to hearing of his road to recovery.