Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Day 698 - Apr 27, 2010

Today we actually made it to the movie - YAY! It was a pretty decent movie and we both really enjoyed it.

That's pretty much it for today though. We really didn't do much else.

This would be my normal post of the day. Sounds pretty boring and easy, huh?

I had a long talk though with one of my friends today - someone that I haven't spoken to in many, many months because there is just no time for me to be on the phone with my friends/family. She told me that although she knows the reality of the situation - I am painting too rosy of a picture and others are not seeing it clearly. I am letting people believe that we have 'boring' days when truthfully, our boring is nothing like your boring. I am letting my friends/family/readers think that we are living some kind of wonderful life when you couldn't be farther from the truth.

I never really thought about it that way. Mainly because, in order for me not to have a nervous breakdown about how horrible our lives really are, I NEED to stay positive. I HAVE to end the day thinking of the half hour or so of good moments we had. Yes, the HALF HOUR or so of good moments.

You see, when I say we had a good day, in truth that just means that for 30 minutes (or whatever short amount of time) of the day Kevin and I were normal - your normal - not ours.

This, my friends, is what I could be writing. What REALLY happened today:

I finally fell into bed at about 5:30am. Kevin just doesn't sleep and although I try to stay up with him, I just couldn't stay awake any longer. And I wish I could just fall asleep immediately - you would think I could, but I never can and many nights I don't sleep at all.

I lay there thinking about my parents and my dad's cancer, about money and how I am going to survive if this bill doesn't go through quickly, about how much I miss my friends and the ability to just jump in the car and go somewhere. I toss and turn trying to find ways to help Kevin get better faster. Or even to get better at all. I cry because I don't want my son to go through what he is going through. I hate that he is in CONSTANT pain - and it never goes away (there are just varying degrees of it). I think of Breezy and how devastating this was for her and how many days she can't bring herself to smile - even with all of the positives in her life right now. I think about how people assume they know what we are going through, but really have no idea. I sometimes am too angry to sleep - not at Kevin - never at Kevin - but at the system and my constant need to fight for everything.

All of this - and it's still technically the night before my day even begins.

So I did probably fall asleep somewhere between 6 and 6:30 and I got my first phone call at 7:13. It was Kevin. He needed his fan turned to speed 1. I zombied it to his room and took care of it and crawled back into bed. I got more phone calls at 8:26, 9:15, 9:42 and 10:28 - none of these Kevin. This was a good day as sometimes it rings non-stop.

I did just stay up with the 10:28 call and started the day. Kevin was up - I don't know if he ever went to sleep or not - probably not. Since he heard me - the MOMs began. To throw some hilarity into this situation - here is what Kevin is like:



Sadly, it really is a lot like this.

So we were going to go to the movie and I got Kevin up and moving. He went into his closet to pick his clothes and I jumped into the shower. Within 4 minutes he was screaming in pain so bad that I could hear him over my running water. So I jumped out to get him some pain pills and then I jumped back in, finished conditioning my hair and got out and dressed.

At this point, I didn't figure we were going to the movie. We needed to leave in 30 minutes to get there comfortably and Kevin takes A LONG TIME to go anywhere. The movie theater is 15 minutes away and we need to leave 60 minutes before the movie starts.

So he lay in the dark in his room and after 30 minutes the pills still didn't help his pain at which time I gave him some Tylenol to help the oxy's along. It was already time to leave. About 20 minutes later, Kev managed to get up and get ready to go. It still took him another 20 minutes to dress and brush his teeth and by the time we made it to the car the movie was going to start in 20 minutes. He still wanted to try to go because it had been 3 days since he left the house and he was going stir crazy, so we ventured out.

I only had to pull over 1 time due to his nausea and since we have these tablets that dissolve under his tongue to combat that, we popped one in and away we went. He was still sick, but we made it without any vomit. Huge sigh of relief.

I dropped him off at the curb and went to park. He was still only halfway to the door by the time I was done and I ran past him to get the tickets. I also went to the counter to get his ice cream and drink. By this time he made it in and I pointed him toward theater 17. As I juggled everything, we finally managed to get to the right theater and it only took about 6 minutes or so to walk there - roughly 150 steps. Do I complain? NO. I just patiently walk beside him. I am so proud that my son CAN walk to the theater by himself. A miracle - and we all know it!

(he moves much slower without the plate)

Once we got in, we have to go all the way to the top and we have to sit at the right of the theater. If we aren't at the top and to the right, Kevin can't see the whole screen. Losing half of his vision has created a whole bunch of situations that you wouldn't normally think about.

(and thank goodness there are always so many previews! by the time we got situated the movie was just starting!)

After the movie, we got back in the car. We took more pain pills and headed to Walmart. Kevin stayed in the car because he was too sick to get out, but he demanded ice cream - our whole reason to be at WM. He wanted more at the theater, but we just can't afford it at those prices.

So we did get home without mishap and Kevin immediately went to his room. The MOMs are still continuing and will until I drop into bed. We got supper and Kevin actually was able to stay at the table long enough to eat it. He usually can't sit that long and he ends up eating an hour later in his bed (after his head has stopped hurting so much). I should also mention that I can't cook anything that requires me to stand at the stove. Kevin needs me constantly and I would burn it all if I had to stir anything all the time.

So I guess I just wanted everyone to realize that although I say our day was great and/or boring - it's in our way, not yours. I grab hold of small bits of the day and try to focus on them so that I can get out of bed the next day. Those moments are something precious to remember. It's either that or I can repeatedly think of all the MOMs and the suppositories and the crying and need for so many medications and the screaming in pain and the ball and chain keeping us in the house and Kevin's inability to talk and really - I could go on an on.

But let's not, ok? Let's just say that we went to the movies today and it was a great day. We had ice cream and popcorn and sodas and for ninety whole minutes we were mostly able to forget what happened...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leslie, you are and have been in survival mode. I do not think any of us think your days are rosy or easy. I don't think anyone of us think we could do any better. You use optimist amd good attitude to get through. I also sense you have a strong faith in God and that you use that to get through these times. You probably also think that having Kevin in this way is much better than not having him - - - because you know there are families who would cherish one last time with their sons who have lost the battle in war. You have to have these coping mechanisms or you would be in the nuthouse. Your survival skills teach us all how to survive. I just finished a book about this subject, very interesting, and very much what both you and Kevin are going through. Keep your good atitude. Keep your faith in God. Keep focused on Kevin BUT take care of yourself. Once they get you a little help you may be able to do this in little portions of time. It is so important to take care of yourself. I pray for you and Kevin every day. You are truly a remarkable individual and a dedicated Mom. Thank you!
Hallie

Long-time RN said...

Oh, Hallie said it. I don't think any of us who follow your posts think a single day of your life is boring. What you carry each day is beyond our full comprehension. You're one incredible warrior juggling the multitude of issues in your life.

We've learned much from you. You and Kevin are in prayers for continued strength and persevance.

Anonymous said...

I agree, I don't believe any of us think your days are easy. I think our posts are picking out the positives as well. You have to. Sometimes it is hard to, but with all the negatives, you need to have positives or you would go crazy. Everyday I think that you need a break from all of this. You need to have something go smoothly and without any problems. Even the day with the blender you brought home from the store that was dirty. Geez- I thought, can't they have just one break!
Did you ever think you would be this strong to handle all of this? You sure are tested many times. I think with all of this testing, comes many positive thoughts. I was thinking of you guys before I read this post and just thought of what you go through each day and also what you don't tell us. Just what we read is enough to test anyone. Then I was thinking about Kevin playing the card game. It's just amazing that he can even hold cards and function after what he has gone through. He truly does so much more than what you could imagine! Please don't think we don't think there's more to it for your day. We all know that living the way you do can not be easy one bit. I think we all realize this. We are trying to find the positives as well. The day of the blender I thought- man right down to the "blank" blender! I would have to take a few extra nice pills. hahah! :)
The video cracked me up!
I hope today is a good one!
Kathy in IA

Anonymous said...

Leslie, you are doing an amazing job!
This is the perfect little video, lol. :)
Keeping everyone in my prayers...
A.

Judy Beeksma said...

Leslie, you are an amazing mother. I have followed your blog religiously everyday and every time I read it I think to myself how my normal day is so different from your normal day. But I have seen through the many posts that you are doing what any mother would do for their son. You handle this with such GRACE!!! I do pray that this bill goes through quickly for you and I also hope that you get a little break soon and that you are able to work on the seperation anxiety. It will be wonderful for you to get a couple of hours to veg; even if it is to make phone calls and get some things in order. I can barely imagine how many things you have on your mind and how many things need doing...But if you handle it with as much grace as you have up until now; they will get done.

Judy

karen said...

Hi Leslie,

I wanted to write something really supportive and inspiring, but it all sounded really trite.

I think your blog, and each entry, including this reality, is such an amazing record of your journey with your son and your daughter. My heart breaks for you imagining how intense this experience is for all three of you, and your close relatives and friends who may feel helpless.

One suggestion ... maybe you could write about Kevin's accomplishments, what goes right in a day and what brought you pleasure, because that is what gets you up the next "day".

And every once in a while, when it seems appropriate, you might want to put a link to this post so that we can be reminded that this is your day too. That way you wouldn't have to re-live the harder parts of your days on a regular basis, but could keep those who want to be reminded in that loop. Just a thought.

thinking of you, your style and your grace, in Vancouver

karen

Linda said...

Leslie,
Wow! I have said many many times about how strong a person you are, and Breezy also, to go thru this situation day in and out...And i don't want to repeat myself again! Maybe this will help others understand exactly what it is you go thru daily! I will continue to pray for you guys..Keep doing what you have to do for yourself to go on!

Anonymous said...

Leslie, Never for one minute did I ever think that your days were easy, carefree, and even a little boring. When my son was shot in Afghanistan, I know I felt I was in shock and couldn't cry. I felt like nobody knew what I was going through even tho many friends asked....I said I was fine.....but I wasn't. I just dealt with the circumstances and moved on. But it wasn't good. Then I did cry, and I cried for two days straight. My son has recovered but got a medical discharge from the Army.....Airborne 173rd. My nightmare finally ended,....but I know that yours is an everyday thing. I wish I could be there for you....to just spend time or to give you a break for a while. My advice is to make sure you give yourself some "me-time". You HAVE to take care of yourself,.....who else can? Have you been to a Dr. recently? Do you know what your bp is? Stress takes such a toll on your physical and mental health....with all that you are dealing with....I implore you.....be good to yourself, and give yourself the attention that you have to have. It probably sounds impossible and that 'll you'll feel like you are not a good mom if you take time away from Kevin. But its a good thing. Talk to God everyday too....He is on your side.

Sorry if I sound bossy....Just looking out for YOU!
Anita

Anonymous said...

If you have time, log on to http://www.thesurvivorsclub.org/
This website is about survival.

Reminded me alot of you and Kevin.
Hallie

Unknown said...

Bravo, Leslie. I realize that the last thing you expect is praise and standing applause, but if you walked into a room right now, filled with your followers on your blog, that is what you would receive. It is richly deserved. Those who have followed from the beginning, as well as those who have joined in reading through time, are in constant awe of how you and Brianna and Kevin are coping. I can say that because...well...they have written as such.

But today, you, tirelessly reiterated what a "normal day" is like.

Normal. What a word. What an incredibly haunting, disjointed, multi defined word. When something happens, so life defying,(Anita's post included) NORMAL changes. And normal is never the same again.

You have managed, with strength and faith and as Judy B. said, grace, to create normal for you and your children. Exceptional. Remarkable. Necessary, yes, but awesome, nonetheless.

Thank you for taking the time to remind us all of the normal you live.

Love, hugs, and prayers. Always.

pommom said...

Yes, yes, YES you have to take some time for yourself...even a few minutes with the phone turned off helps a bit. I know for a fact that if you dont take care of yourself, nobody else is going to. Once you get an aide that will be easier to do. It is hard to maintain sanity with not a second of down time. Always remember you are loved and prayed for daily. We move back to New Mexico in August and I hope that by September visiting might be possible...depending on whether or not you are still in TX.
God bless and keep you,
Janna

GrannieEv said...

I'm with everyone else, never for a minute did I think your boring day was a normal boring day like we experience. How you function with no sleep is beyond me. You and Breezy redefine the word strong!