Thursday, April 8, 2010

Day 678 - Apr 7, 2010

I finally got some pictures of Kevin to show you guys. He really doesn't like anyone seeing his head anymore, but he actually agreed today. I think it was because we had a distinguished visitor at BAMC today. Here is a photo:



I am sure I am the only person out there in America that had no idea who the Vice President was, but I learned it today. It's actually quite sad that I didn't know, but it just goes to show how sheltered our lives are nowadays (not that I was ever a very political person). So anyway, obviously this is VP Biden and his wife. I don't know the first thing about his politics, but they were both very nice to Kevin and I and it made Kevin smile to get a visit from the VP of the good ol' USA.

And I have to admit to really liking his medical aids too. We had such a nice chat with them. I admit though, that I could never live in such a circus. So many secret service agents and just people everywhere. CRAZY!

So anyway, we also had an ophthalmology appointment today as Kevin has been trying to get me to understand that there is obviously a change in his vision. The language/understanding barrier is doing a number on us for this - I just can't get what he is saying because he doesn't understand what blurry, double vision, or any of the other possibilities mean. They did tell me he has 20/50 eyesight though and I need to find out what it was the last time he saw the eye doctor. I thought (understanding he has no peripheral vision on the right) his eyesight was 20/20. I so hope he isn't losing his sense of sight.

And now I am going to end with a couple more photos and a video of Kevin doing the 'robot' dance, lol.





He's such a weirdo, huh? LOL!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weirdo...no way...Kevin is such an inspiring young man. To dance at all, in light of all he is going through, is amazing.
Sure would have been nice to see Biden's other arm embracing this young war hero in the photo, but that's just my opinion. Thanks for sharing Leslie.
Sure wish I was in Tx to give you a hand. You're an amazing, wonderful inspiration as well.

i. said...

Loved the video, especially the raised eyebrow and self-aware smirk! I'm glad, too, that he still has moments of happiness like this. Everything you two are experiencing sounds so overwhelming.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the pictures and also the video! He's so funny! Yeah, I'm glad that he can have fun in the hospital too! :)
Hope you have a great day!
Take care,
Kathy in IA

Anonymous said...

Like the video!
Kevin has quite a sense of humor. :)
Great picture of you and Kevin with the VP and his wife!
A.

Unknown said...

Kevin dancing!!!! YES!!!! Thank you for sharing this. And, politics or not, I am glad he was visited by the VP. What a great smile Kevin has!! Love and hugs and prayers, always.

Nancy said...

Thanks for sharing the video of Kevin. It's great to see he has such a good sense of humor. I continue to keep you and your family in my prayers.

Jodi said...

LOL! LOVED the video!! That is so great to see! Thanks for sharing it with us!

BIG HUGS AND ALL MY LOVE TO ALL OF YOU!!

Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Linda said...

Leslie,
I LOVED the video! After everything that Kevin has been thru the past couple months...it is so wonderful to see him being cheerful! Such a blessing. My thoughts and prayers are constant for you guys!

Tracey from Pgh. said...

Loved the video too! I was cracking up. First time I smiled today. I needed that - thanks Leslie!

Anonymous said...

I loved the video as well. He cracked me up....it was so great to see him up and moving and being aware that he was entertaining. The pics were great too. I can see your beautiful smile.....(no braces!)
I continue to pray for you guys.
Hope your day is a great one!
Anita

Anonymous said...

Loved the picture of Kevin with VP and his wife Jill! Thanks for all you do for our "hero". You are a great mom! Laura RL

Long-time RN said...

Bustin' out the moves, Kevin! Love the video!

Agreed, policits aside, it's good to see elected officials visiting these brave men and women. I hope you were able to explain a bit of how lives have been changed, yours particularly Leslie, due to the traumatic injuries. VP Biden and Jill should be honored and humbled to have met you and Kevin.

Thanks for posting the photos and video!

Jessica said...

That's wonderful that VP Biden and his wife visited Kevin! It's so important for our elected officials to see the horrible realities of our wounded veterans. Did the Bidens get to see the robot dance? LOL! I loved it. It's so good to see Kevin smiling and being silly.

You're in my thoughts and prayers so often. Take care.

karen said...

That robot dance rocked!!! Go Kevin, go Kevin! Go Kevin!