Saturday, April 17, 2010

Day 687 - Apr 16, 2010

There isn't a whole lot to talk about today. About the only thing we did was go to Target for some groceries and then I just built a tv stand and put together the vacuum cleaner. Pretty exciting, huh? LOL.

I do want to say 'what a relief that we aren't home-bound though, huh?'. Man, was I scared about that possibility.

So I am just going to answer some of the questions that I haven't gotten to in a while.

GrannieEv - thanks for the info on the Lions Clubs. I had never even thought of that. Lucky for us, the VA did bring him a bed and after the docs came the other day they are even sending a better/bigger one.

Karen - I am anxious to try that Kettle Corn recipe. I am trying to decide on using ghee or oil though. Just never heard of ghee before...

Anita - yes, Kevin listened to screamo before he left for the Army. His favorite band even back then was Atreyu - totally can't understand a word they say, lol.

Jenna, thanks for the info about hyperbaric treatments. Unfortunately, Kevin would never lay in one of those chambers for an hour or more. I am anxious to keep researching it though. It's still so new and you never know what they will find and about the only thing I can say is that you never know what Kevin will do years from now. He has really just come so far, but if he thinks something is weird, he's just not going to do it.

If I have missed any questions, please re-post them. I have them all cleared out of my inbox, but sometimes I delete by accident.

4 comments:

Miss Em said...

I am so glad to hear that things are beginning to become somewhat normal for you and Kevin.

Keeping fingers crossed that the MOST exciting things are dull...no mad dashes to you-know-where.

How are your parents doing? Prayers being said as the sacred White Sage Smoke carries them to the Ears of the Creator.

Miss Em
Austell, Ga.

karen said...

Ha ha ha ... Ghee is the East Indian (South Asian) way of separating the solids from the oils in butter. If you use ghee, the butter oil doesn't brown like it does when you heat regular butter up that high. I'm sure it would be divine that way, but I'm definitely not going to do it!!!

(At our local farmer's market, somebody was selling ghee for a while but I don't know where they went. It was hideously expensive!)

I use grapeseed oil for anything that I am frying at a high temperature because it has a "high smoke point" -- apparently you can get it hotter without it burning or turning into stuff that is not good for your body. Olive oil is the other end of the spectrum: you don't want to make it smoke and then cook with it.

Safflower, corn and some other pure oils are likely just as good.

oops. My foodie stripes are showing!

Enjoy that corn! And the freedom to come and go with Kevin.

Long-time RN said...

Grapeseed oil stands up best to high temps.

Very good reading you and Kevin are not housebound. Nice to read of medical providers working as your advocates in getting Kevin a new bed as well.

Hope your weekend is uneventful and Kevin continues adjusting to the new surroundings.

Barbara Burke said...

Leslie, some military bases have hyperbaric chambers that are actually large "rooms" with up to six recliner-like chairs for multiple patients at a time. No laying down in a capsule. He could sit in there comfortably and play video games while receiving treatments. I know there's one at Travis AFB in California. Should also be one somewhere in Texas, I would think. They use them for flight crews that have problems, and for scuba divers that get into trouble. Good luck. Barbara B.