Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Shocking News

I am going to quickly try to bring everyone up to speed. For those that don't know, here is the announcement I made days ago to my coworkers and friends:

Hi everyone! I first want to thank you all for your kind emails, visits and text messages. I know there has been a lot of speculation as to what really happened so I will give a quick synopsis.

Kevin was in a NATO convoy driving through the city of Jalalabad in Afghanistan on May 31. A suicide bomber filled a vehicle with explosives and drove it into my son's Humvee. I do know that there were 4 people in the Humvee. Both my son and his battle buddy survived the blast - the other two did not. Kev was pulled from the wreckage and rushed to a hospital in J-bad. He has since been flown back to Germany and is now on this way to San Antonio, TX to a military burn unit. Here is a rundown of his medical condition:

He initially had internal bleeding, but they cut his stomach open while he was still in Afghanistan and did manage to stop it. The doctors in Germany 're-opened' the cut this morning and verified that the internal bleeding has stopped.

He has burns on 25% of his body - mainly his face, neck and hands. He will need rehab at least on his hands. He is also on a ventilator at this point, but they have begun weaning him off of that. His left ankle is fractured, but the most severe injury is the head wound. He has a lot of staples in his head and the doctor's are unsure of neurological deficits at this point. I have been told that he may be blind, he may be deaf (particularly in his left ear), and he may have problems with speech. We are unsure of this because it's just too soon to tell, but this is what I was told.

On a good front - he is conscious but sedated. His kidneys and heart are fine and he seems to be responding to the doctor's voice. He was able to grasp the doctor's hand and when the doctor told him that we loved him, I was told he shifted in his bed. We don't know if that was because he was responding or if he just needed to squirm, but I am choosing to believe he understood what was being said.

17 comments:

Catherine said...

HUGS!

Unknown said...

Leslie,
I know that it has been a long time since I have talked to you. I want to tell you how sorry I was to hear about Kevin. Peggy called to tell me. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers daily. I have your address and will be in touch.

Love,
Jean Senge

Melissa W. said...

Leslie,
Kim S. has kept me updated on the news. My son Adam Wilson was in Kevin's class. When she called to let me know the extent of Kevins injuries some of the boys, Tyler, Eric, and some of the boys I don't know were at my house with Adam. I told them what was going on and they want you to know that they are thinking of Kevin and clinging to any news they can get. I know Kevin may have not hung around with that group but they feel like he is one of their own. I'm cannot begin to imagine what you and your family are going through but know that there is a reason Kevin is alive and he will come home with you one day. Love and Hugs, Melissa Wilson

Anonymous said...

Leslie, just wanted to let you know we all are thinking of you & miss your smiling face around work! Glad you found a way to keep us all posted! :-)

Mary said...

Hi Leslie & Breezy:

A day does not go by I don't think of all of you many times. The petunia's you left me to take care of are thriving and I hope this is a good omen that Kevin is thriving too. We all miss you scrapbooking with us on Friday nights, its just not the same without you and Breezy.

P.S. Hot Water Tank is off.

Always here to listen if you need a shoulder! Talk soon.

Love
Mary

Love
Mary

Anonymous said...

Im so sorry to hear about your son you are in my prays and thoughts.

Unknown said...

I am sorry to hear what has happen to your son. Your family are in my thoughts and prays

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

I am the Executive Director of a Non-profit that provides financial assistance to wounded service memebers and their families. I understand that you may need some assistance. Please call me at 972-383-8080 to discuss how we may be able to assist you.

Polly Weidenkopf
Executive Director
Reserve Aid, Inc.

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
I found out from my son, PFC Daniel John Thomas, MP, Camp Adder, Iraq, that your son was one of Dan's great friends in MP School! I will forward Kevin and your names to our old church in North Carolina and to Dan's Aunts' church in New Jersey!! We will send his name also to our Emmaus family both in NC and now in Colorado! If there is anything you need while there in San Antonio, please let me know, as I am a Retired Medical NCO and may know of some folks there at Fort Sam to help you out! I am in Recreation Therapy, and if I can help out with Kevin as he recovers, please let me know this as well!! We are moving into Colorado right now, but San Antonio is not that far away!!! Our entire family and church family will keep you in our prayers! Kevin sounds like his recovery is coming along-Just place in all in God's loving hands for healing of Kevin-He will hold Kevin close to his loving heart as he heals!
Peace Be With You-Tell Kevin that Dan Thomas's mom wants to teach him Fencing when he gets better!
God Bless You Both!
Love and Prayers,
SFC(Ret)"T" Dykes and Kids and Pets!

Sheila said...

My heart goes out to all of you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers daily.

I am a member of Soldiers Angels and the Wounded Warrior teams. That is how I heard about Kevin.

I can't begin to imagine how difficult this is for all of you.

You have a friend in Florida. I live in Auburndale, east of Tampa.
If I can help in any way when Kevin is transferred to Tampa, please don't hesitate to ask.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.
God bless you!

Sheila Stunkard
thenubble2004@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie! You probably don't remember me but I went to school with Kevin way back in the day. Actually I think the last time I seen him was in like 4th grade. Haha. Like I said...a long time ago, but obviously he left an impression on me because I had no trouble remembering him. My name is Nicolette Loose. My mom is Brenda Wolfe or Hilliard (whichever helps you to remember). My dad is Dave Loose. Anyways, I heard about Kevin from my mom. I couldn't believe what happened. First of all, I'm so sorry and my prayers are out for him, you, and your family. Secondly, I wish I could do more to help but I'll see what I can do and hopefully it counts where it's needed most. And finally, if you ever need somebody to talk to I'll be here. It looks like you have a lot of people helping you out but if you need another ear, I'm here. My email address is zema_skyy_101@yahoo.com You take care now and my prayers are with you all. <3

wildcat said...

Kevin and your entire family are in my thoughts and prayers. I would love to thank him for his service, so please pass it along to him. I hope you know how much strangers like me care. May God bless you through your complete recovery. Thank you Kevin, you are a great American. Be strong, better days will soon come.

Unknown said...

I am an army mom too and a member of soldiers angels, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers and i will be sending kevin cards and such to speed his recovery....hang in there and just reach out if there is anything you need.

tbehr1018 said...

Hello Leslie,
You and I have never met but I knew Kevin. He is friends with my son Josh (the kids call him Barry). I know there is really nothing I can say to help with your pain and fear but please know you are in my prayers and thoughts and this whole little community is behind all of you and if good wishes and prayers do work Kevin can feel definately feel it.
Be strong and please know we are here for you all.
God Bless you All!

Theresa Behrens

Anonymous said...

Sending all my prayers aand love to Kevin and his family as they face these challenging times; may God bring this wonderful family all the comfort they need to ease their pain and give them strength throughout their recovery.

I am eternally grateful to have been born unto a Nation which produces the finest people humanity has to offer.

Susan
NYC, NY

Sherri Smith said...

I am so sorry. I hope he is okay now.

Unknown said...

This is one of the shocking news that I've read.
big shocking