Thursday, June 5, 2008

Day 3 - June 3, 2008

This note is actually from June 3, 2008

Kevin had his first skin graft today. The doctor must have told me at least 11 times last night that Kevin may not make it through the surgery - but HE DID!! I was told with flying colors, even (yay, Kev!)

I know this is kinda dumb of me, but I honestly didn't have a clue what Kev would look like when he came out of the surgery. I could see from the outer room that his face was all pinkish, but I didn't realize it was blood. Pretty dumb, Leslie. Pretty dumb.

So apparently they took a 'water pik' type of tool and cleaned his face with it. He was all burnt flesh with blood running down his face. You all just can't imagine how horrifying that is.

As an FYI - they did not graft any of his face. They said that if they do, it will alter his appearance and they want to give the face a chance to heal on it's own. They did take skin from his chest and stomach area and grafted it to his legs and his hands. Both legs and hands are 3rd degree burns.

Gonna go. I have 2 more days of events to post but want to keep them all separate.

4 comments:

Catherine said...

I'm hoping that the last two days show continuous improvements! xox.

Vicki Chrisman said...

Les... I'm still here in TX at the show..but have had you in my thoughts constantly since I heard about Kevin. I havent been able to even get my laptop out long enought to email you ..but I've been having my friend check SM forum for me and call my at the show to keep me posted on updates. I want to call you SO bad , but dont want to bother you. You know anytime you can call me if you want to talk! I'll be heading home tomorrow moring! I dont even know where to begin to even tell you have my heart has felt "your" hurt.. since I heard about Kevin. Love you friend!

Anonymous said...

Leslie... I'm Becky, Wayne Harris is my son. Kevin is one of his best friends. I think Kev gave him inspiration to go to the Marines. The reason being is when Kevin came home after grad. He was still the same person only stronger, more positve, and motivated. Wayne is still in basic trainging and I haven't had the heart to tell him yet. Kevin is a very respectable young man, I like him alot!!! I would always tease them because after every phone conversation they would tell esch other Love Ya! And even though they would tease each other like that I do believe they mean it. I have great faith in Jesus. He is watching over Kevin. I hope you turn to Him in this time of need. I know we don't always understand His ways and sometimes we even get angry and wonder why. This much I can tell you. HIS word says all things are meant for good according to HIS purpose. We don't know His ways or His will but trust in Him no matter what. Before He left this world He said, " I will send you another helper, the Great Comforter," The Holy Spirit, to be with you. Turn to Him He will NEVER leave you or forsake you. We may not always understand but we MUST always trust HIM. I pray for Kevin always. Are whole church is. Just wanted to let you know that your son touched alot of peoples lives and still is. He is loved by more than you know. you and Kevin are in my prayers. With the love of Christ!!! Becky H.

Anne Olmstead said...

Hey, Les:
Anne here! Miss our little chats! I am always thinking of you. I know it's hard, but, you are a very strong person! When you need a break, go take a stroll along the Riverwalk! We miss you @ work! My prayers are with you always. All of our prayers are with you & Kevin! Don't forget to take care of YOU!
Love Ya',
Anne