Friday, June 13, 2008

Day 13 - June 13, 2008

I think things are finally starting to catch up to me. I am just so exhausted tonight. I hope y'all don't mind, but I am going to keep this one short (or at least that's my intention, but I can get on a roll sometimes)

So Kev went for a CT scan last night and we found out this morning that part of his brain tissue is still dying. The docs can't say anything more about it at this point - only that it is going to take time to see the toll all of this will take on his brain (not to mention the rest of his body). I wish I could say that all of this is really going to be ok, but I guess we just don't know that. I was really 'down' after the neurosurgeon left because he stressed to me exactly how bad this is. But I can't stay down, right? If I do - there's just no sense being here and that's not even a consideration!

One fantastic bit of news is that Kev's face honestly looks great! He didn't have any gauze or goggles or anything on for a long period this afternoon and I just can't believe the difference that two weeks has made. His cheeks are almost completely healed, as are his lips. His eyelids are still pretty burned and so is his chin and the tip of his nose, but the rest of his face looks pretty darn healed to me. I did notice tonight that part of his left ear must have come off because it's stapled rather oddly to the side of his head. I don't know how I missed that before, but it has been covered for the most part. Maybe that's it, huh?

I also finally got to see his hands tonight. I watched the nurse remove all of the wrappings and although he is pretty burned, his hands look great to me too. The grafts on them seem to be doing very well and he even moved a couple of fingers while he was unwrapped. Yay!

Speaking of moving, it was reported to me that Kev was 'rubbing' his belly this morning (probably the staples were itchy) and he also tried to pull out some of the tubes on his face. He still isn't awake, but it's a start as far as I'm concerned. I had to laugh too because I kept moving his right arm away from his body and he kept moving it back (not immediately, but eventually). That's my stubborn son - wants it the way he wants it, lol.

So tonight they have decided to take him off some of the meds - his heart rate, blood pressure and shoot - there's one other one that I just can't think of right now. When I walked in his numbers were really high, but I was able to get everything back to normal by talking to him, with the exception of his heart rate. It was around 130 when I went in and after talking to him for a little bit and continuing to read Harry Potter (the first one so far) to him, his HR went up to 140 so I put the book away and left the room. I think he just needs to rest sometimes.

One extremely nice thing that happened today is that a non-profit organization rented a car for me. I regret that I don't have the name of the organization, but as soon as I do - I will post it. I should say that I am not one that accepts help easily, but having a degenerative (sp) neuromuscular disease makes it hard for me to walk a lot. The hospital is just a tad too far for me to walk from there to the guest house numerous times a day, so this was a wonderful thing for them to do for me. I so thank them.

I also want to thank Ross from KDKA. Ross - I hope I someday get to meet you. You are truly a compassionate and wonderful person. I am not real big on talking to the media and I only did this because Kev's fearlessness deserves to be told, but you made this a simple matter during a very trying time. Kudos to you and your team for an interview well done. For those that aren't local and can't see the news - here is a link. I can't figure out how to directly link it, but it's titled "Clarion Co Soldier Fighting For His Life" on this page:

KDKA News

Ok folks. That about sums it up for today. And although I hate to do it, I would really like to ask everyone to not call me tomorrow morning. I could really use a good sleep-in and although I do understand that everyone just cares and loves us, I really am so tired.

Love you all!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are definatly right, the news report was done so well. I think it really gave people who havnt gotten to know kevin well a look into the great person he is, and gave us all who knew him a little reminder of how much of a fighter he really is! thinking of you three in this hard time.

Jen Christie

Anonymous said...

What a wonderfully well done story. It is heart warming to hear how much the community cares for you and Kevin. And to hear a motehr's love in your voice...still praying and thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Yes, that was a great story that KDKA covered. I'm glad to hear Kevin is fighting this one. I mean come on... he's a skateboarder... I know this is probably his worse fall yet... but he's had some bad bang ups before. Kevin isn't going to give up... he is a fighter. That's why he joined the Army. He's fearless and he's pretty sure nothing can take him out of this life. We all look forward to seeing him come home here within the next few months. I can't really comprehend what you're going through Leslie but my heart goes out to you, Kevin and Brianna. I have a feeling in a year or so Kevin might be bragging about whatever scars he has... like he does with all of the rest of them... That's just how he is. Take care.

Airman First Class
Karl Vaughn Hillwig

Anonymous said...

Hey Mama! I hope you get to sleep in today you need some rest. Always thinking and praying for Kevin, Brianna and you. Love you lots!!

Jess

Valerie S said...

Thank you for sharing the newscast with us. What a great story! Kevin is so fortunate to have a wonderful mother like you. That's what will see him through this. Hugs and prayers to you!

Anonymous said...

Leslie thanks for sharing that with us. They did a wonderful job and you are so special to us. What a wonderful mother you are and to see Kevin is still fighting as well. Don't give up! We all love you!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm Kasey Olcus, I'm not sure if you remember me, Leslie. I live outside of Brady and have went to school with Kevin since elementary school. I've been reading and keeping up with this blog like no other and I just felt it was time to let you know that you have been excellent with everything that has happened and just from reading this I can tell that Kevin needs you and is fighting and fighting for it all (which doesn't surprise me one bit!). The video on the news was a great one and brought some tears to my eyes. Keep strong and let Kevin know everyone here is waiting for him to come home!

Anonymous said...

Kevin's gonna be okay. Just keep in mind that he is a paratrooper and besides that he's a Herd paratrooper. That makes him pretty special. I was with the Herd in 1970, I know how tough these kids can be. My thoughts are with you and Kevin. AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!
Butch Benson

Anonymous said...

What a great story and broadcast KDKA did. It brought both a smile to me seeing the great guy Kevin is as well as tears in my eyes to know what you are going through and the fight Kevin in undergoing to get well. My thoughts and prayers are still with you, Kevin, Brianna and your family.
Shari Allison Goodyear

Anonymous said...

I worked with Kevin at the store and I just wanted to tell you that we are thinking of you and praying for you every day. Kevin is a sweet, funny, great kid. Tell him to keep up the good fight. Thanks so much for the updates on him. Keep strong and keep the faith, miracles happen.

Melissa Ion

Anonymous said...

Les, the TV clip was great honey. It broke my heart to hear your voice so full of pain. God wil work his wonders for Kevin and you and Breezy. Please know that you guys are in my prayers and thoughts constantly. Love ya lots. Pam

Melanie Seppeler said...

Thats was a great news story!
Glad things are improving with Kevin, even if it is a little at a time. My prayers and thoughts are still with you! {{hugs}}

Anonymous said...

Lester, I saw the KDKA news story on Kev last night... I think that it finally drove it all home for me, the severity of everything and how tough of a kid you really have. I don't think I have cried like that since the summer of 2006 and all of its horrible events. I hope you know that we are always thinking of you guys and praying for Kevin... if you can think of anything I can do for you here in PA while you are gone, just let me know. I have to tell you too that Levi has been super-worried and asks about Kev all the time. He draws him pictures and writes him notes, all of which I will be sending along any day now. He hopes you are okay too, and he is heart-broken for you as well. Like I said, if you need anything, let me know... I am here to help. and I am happy that you are getting better news every day and making those small steps in a positive direction. Keep your chin up... stay tough, mama. We love you lots... give Kevin a little squeeze from us and let him know we are thinking of him. :)

~~*Libby*~~

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you had some good news today. You need to have days like that. I pray for you and Kevin and your family every day!