Saturday, June 14, 2008

Day 14 - June 14, 2008

It has been 2 weeks today since Kevin was attacked. To be honest, I can't believe it's only been 2 weeks. I feel like I have been living in hell for years already. I was in Kev's room just today thinking how odd it is that this really is happening to us. It's just surreal that I am in TX living on a military base, when a couple of weeks ago I had a good life in PA. It's just unbelievable that things can change just like that - with the snap of your fingers.

I can't stress enough how important it is to let the people you love know it. One thing that my family has always done is say "I love you" at the end of each phone call. It's funny because it was such a habit to say it at the end of phone conversations, that sometimes I would say it to complete strangers when hanging up. I'm sure you could ask the pizza guy or someone from work and they can tell you that they heard me say it, lol. But seriously? Say it! And say it loud. You never know when it's the last time someone is going to hear those words.

So today has not really been a good day. I am a little concerned because Kev is not absorbing any of the fluids in his stomach anymore. I was assured that this does not mean he is in system failure, but I couldn't bring myself to ask if this is the beginning of that process. It was also hard to watch him because every time he swallowed or coughed, brownish fluid came out of the hole in his neck. I just kept cleaning him off because he is coughing and swallowing a lot now.

I also thought his upper lip had grown attached to his teeth, but the nurse and I brushed his teeth and gave him some mouthwash. I think it kinda was dried to it, but we got it 'unstuck'. I had to laugh because he bit down on the foam toothbrush and was not leaving go for nothing. We were screaming 'c'mon Kev - no biting'. He was having none of it though.

His temp is also really high - over 103. I stayed in his room almost 2 hours straight today just putting cold compresses on his forehead. I was soaking the gauze in ice water and was able to bring it down a little bit. I am apparently becoming accustomed to the heat. His room temp today was 84 and with rubber gloves, a hat and a gown on - it's HOT! But I stayed. Breezy came in and finally relieved me though and I have to admit - I was starting to get dizzy.

On a good front - Daniel woke up today! Daniel was the other soldier in the Humvee with Kevin. He is able to whisper and he is responding to Susan's voice (his mom). Yay for Daniel!!

I know that I did an interview with WTAE yesterday too, but I have been unable to locate the video on their website. If I can find it, I will link it as well.

Not sure if I will write more tonight or not. If anything happens, I will. I may just veg out and watch a little TV if I can. I missed it, but I saw that a woman won Top Chef this season! Yay Stephanie!! She deserves it!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

leslie this is cory wells agian tiffany and i found the news brodcast on the internet this morning here is the link http://kdka.com/video/?id=42587@kdka.dayport.com i hope i helped stay strong we both love you guys much

Anonymous said...

Leslie - You, Kevin, and your family are all in my prayers.

-From a fellow Sky Soldier

Sherri Greer said...

fqLeslie, Reading your blog is the first thing that I do each day. I am so grateful to you for keeping us posted as to Kevin's condition as well as your own. I so wish I could be there in person to hold you and comfort you, but since I can't please know that I think about you and pray for you all day everyday. You know that I have always had a special place in my heart for you and I hate to think of how you are suffering. I have always thought that you were a special and good person, but, Leslie, you are so much more than that. Kevin is not the only hero in the family; his mom is a hero too. I respect you more than I can say. Be strong. I love you.
Sherri Greer

Anonymous said...

Hello Leslie,

I have some links for you..I also heard that WPXI did a piece on you also? But I have not seen that footage or anything.

WTAE: http://www. thepittsburghchannel. com/video/index. html

KDKA: http://kdka. com/local/soldier. hurt. Afghanistan. 2. 747772. html

and

http://kdka. com/video/?id=42587@kdka. dayport. com


Anyways, I hope you guys are staying strong down there, we are all still praying hard up here. It was nice to be able to hear your voice on the television, although I could feel the heartbreak in your voice and I wish I could be there with you in person. Please know that you are not alone - I think of you and Breezy and Kevin every minute of every day.

Vicki Chrisman said...

Some down time to just zone out in front of the TV would probably be really good for you Les. Be good to yourself... Kevin needs you "well". He is so lucky to have a mom that loves hime so much! A family that loves him so much! HUGS friend!

KatGagg333 said...

Hey Leslie,
It's Katie Gaggini, I would first like to let you know that you, your family, and especially Kevin are in my thoughts and prayers daily.
Kevin has always been such a wonderful friend to me and I know he can pull through this!
I also wanted to let you know that i found the video on the WTAE website:
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/16605285/

Thank you so much for keeping up this this blog, the first and last think I do everyday is got on here to read Kevin's updates! I know he can get through this, he is the toughest guy I know.
In my thoughts and prayers,
Katie

In A Pinch Designs by Judy and Sheri said...

Keeping you all in my prayers Leslie...You are truly a wonderful Mom!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Leslie and family,
I am so glad to hear you say that you may watch some T.V. ( or something)
It's important for you to take some down time in whatever way you choose. God bless you, this form of hell for you all.I can only imagine the level of PROUD you feel for your son step- ping up to defend all of us and so many strangers. In God's eyes we are all brothers and sisters. Your son is a great brother to Breezy and us. I thank you Kevin. I pray and thank every soldier who has gone to complete his or her duty and protect us in the past and the present wars. I hold a special place in my heart for the military and you as a MOM understand that completely. you have watched your son suffer these two weeks. That is an ache that a mom should never feel. Thank you for letting us know how you are all doing, but honestly, the three of you are so strong and so fragile. We will do anything to help. We with military loved ones in our lives cry for you, just as those without military ties do- so we hope you continue to feel love from many miles away. God Bless and keep you all safe. Love the Reeves Gang.

Anonymous said...

there is a written statement on kdka but couldnt find a vidio...the link is http://kdka.com/local/soldier.hurt.Afghanistan.2.747772.html
our troops need to just come home.

Joan said...

Hi Leslie,

I haven't had any luck getting through to you on the phone, but just wanted to write a quick note to let you know I'm thinking of you and praying for you every day.

I had to smile when I read your comment about "Top Chef" -- Stephanie does indeed rock! Glad you had a few minutes to watch some TV; Vicki's right, you DO need to take a little time for yourself and stay healthy and rest.

It's hotter than he** here in Florida, too. I can't imagine having to put on the "outfit" of gown and all. Stay strong, honey.

Big hugs to you all,
Joanie

Anonymous said...

Sorry Leslie...the links I posted before were not direct links...I don't know what happened?

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
You don't know me but I am a fellow Butler resident. I find it hard to write anything because:
1. I'm not a very good writer and
2. I fear that nothing I could say could possibly measure up to the sacrifice that you and your son are making. I would only like you to know that there are people all over Butler County and all over the Country who care, and who respect and who love you both. There are people out here who are following your plight and are praying for you both. My God give you what ever you need; strength, hope, peace, patience or acceptance so that you will get through what your going through. My Love.
Average Joe

Anonymous said...

as friends of tim and beth I know this crap about tim you posted is not true ! how horrible to attack him at a time like this !