Friday, June 27, 2008

Day 27 - June 27, 2008

Today was a better day.

We couldn't go in until 1pm to see him and when I walked in he seemed to be alert. He was doing the same thing he did the last time - throwing his arms around and it looked like he was trying to talk this time too. His mouth just kept moving and opening and closing. I had to tell him that he wouldn't be able to talk because his vocal chords needed to heal yet. That may be an issue and it may not be. I just don't know. I know they did tell me that the part of his brain that was removed did cover both speech and motor skills so only time will tell I guess. At this point though - he has a trach in and won't be able to talk with that anyway. (although I do believe they can cap it, but we are nowhere near that point yet).

Anyway this few moments of lucidity (?) lasted about 5 minutes. Breezy was just coming over to the hospital - she stayed behind to do something, which is ok as we take turns anyway - and stupid me took the car keys with me. She called to find out where they were and when I told her what he was doing she took off and literally ran over to the hospital. The poor girl came barreling into his room all red and sweaty but unfortunately she missed it. He had already fallen asleep. I hate that she missed it. It was such a bummer for her.

But he moved around quite a bit today. We are hoping this is a good sign. And she did get to see it the whole rest of the day. I just wish I knew if that was responding or if we were fooling ourselves.

On a bad note, Kev did appear to have two panic attacks today. I would watch his heart rate double and his breaths per minute more than double each time. I am not sure if he is subconsciously remembering what happened or what. Without him being able to talk or do anything yet, we may never know.

We also haven't heard anything about the spinal tap yet. Maybe we will learn something tomorrow. I hope it's coming back negative at this point. I believe it has to be negative for 72 hours for the meningitis to truly be gone, but each day is a plus if it's not showing up.

As to the answer to yesterday's final question - my answer is a much stronger and louder 'yes'. I can and will do this forever. He's one of my babies, after all...

17 comments:

Vicki Chrisman said...

So happy today was a better day! Hang in there mama! You are so right .. you CAN... because your babies mean everything to you .. just like mine do me.. but your not super woman.. so remember to take care of yourself! You are certainly alowed down days, tired days, and even mad days.. that's all okay too. We're here for you Les!

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

I am not a doctor so I should not even guess..but I am glad Kevin "appeared" to be stronger today. I would ask the doctor what this movement could mean.

Try and get some sleep. Sweet dreams and God bless you all. Goodnight.

Still praying.... : )

Melissa said...

Yah for a better day

many prayers aRe with you 3. I am so happy Kevin had a betteR day yesterday.

Anonymous said...

I truly admire your strength and composure. It's amazing what we can do when called upon, isn't it? As someone who has been "called upon" many times, I know that we are given strength when we need it. Here is a quote that has always given me courage. Eleanor Roosevelt once said:

"YOU GAIN STRENGTH, COURAGE, AND CONFIDENCE BY EVERY EXPERIENCE IN WHICH YOU REALLY STOP TO LOOK FEAR IN THE FACE...YOU MUST DO THE THING YOU THINK YOU CANNOT DO..."

You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers.
Connie Fleeger

Anonymous said...

You can do it leslie and you know that you deff. wouldn't be alone =]

Valerie S said...

Leslie, I'm so sorry that it has been a difficult week for you and Kevin. But every day that is a little better, is a gift. All of you continue to be in my thoughts each and every day - and I keep praying every day.

Anonymous said...

Dear Leslie and Brianna,
I'm sorry but our computer would not let me post messages the last couple of days. you are something else! Your children are so blessed to have you. Kevin is a fighter! You continue in our prayers. God bless and keep you safe and strong. You aren't super woman- you are human. Take time each day for some time for you. You will be better for all of you. Love to Kevin, from The Reeves Gang.

Anonymous said...

I know you can do this Leslie...but always remember - you are NEVER alone! Kevin is a true fighter! In fact...I don't know kevin, but I venture to guess he's even a tad bit stubborn (which is a good thing!) :) As always...I'm praying for all of you. Call if you need anything.
Heather (OFR)

wuzzle29 said...

Leslie,
My heart goes out to you! I can't even imagine what you are going through. Please know you are all in my prayers.
Just remember to take care of yourself too.

God Bless!

Lori

Anonymous said...

Les, I heard that loud yes from you yesterday clear back here in Brady. My money is on you honey. I know you to well. I am glad that Kev was doing better. I know that it makes you better too. I know that your heart is broken honey but it will mend just like Kevin is. Keep the faith Leslie I know you and Kev and Breezy will make it happen. Love ya bunches. Pam

Anonymous said...

I love you Leslie, Breezy and Kevin!

Kay said...

You and Kevin both deserve a better day, friend. You know I love you, and you and Kevin continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

I cry, hurt, fear, pray, hope, and fight my feelings each time i read this blog. The young mother that i am cant even imagin what u feel, though in my heart i truely hurt. I read each article i see in the papers hear looking for good news and more hope. Each night and everytime i think of u all during the day i pray for u hoping for the best. Gods with u and will help u through all of this, keep and build ur faith. kevin will fight through this, u say so all the time. All my best wishes and my prayers.

J. Isaacson

Anonymous said...

Another total stranger here, but your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Words are inadequate for what you're dealing with. I'm off to go hug my sons one more time before bed. God Bless you all.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying that God not only heals Kevin, but also comforts him and gives him peace while he's unconscious or semi-conscious. I think it's great that he's able to move around. Hopefully, the doctors can give you more information about his episodes and also his spinal tap results.

I could tell from your first post that you're going to make it through this. You're a mama bear who will let nothing come between her and her cubs! :)

Holee said...

Leslie or Breezy, please go to my blog. We have a surprise for you.

Rob J said...

Leslie,

My name is Rob and I am from Beaver County. I saw the article today and felt bad because I am in Afghanistan (Bagram) right now and did not hear about your son when it first happened. I try to keep up on PA boys and was very sad to hear about Kevin. I have linked your blog to mine and am diverting all of my readers to read and help you guys. Hang in there and know many people are praying for all of you.

Sincerely,

SrA Rob Joswiak