Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Day 10 - June 10, 2008

Today was a pretty shitty day all around. I found out that Kev slipped into a coma sometime within the last day or so. I noticed that he wasn't responding any longer to them opening his eyes or doing anything at all. I questioned the nurse and she said that's normal when they are in a coma. I asked what that meant and I think she realized that no one had talked to me so she sent for a neurosurgeon to come in. He told me that he had indeed fallen into the coma and well...to be honest...I didn't hear much after that. I will be the first to say that I was extremely upset at the lack of communication. I will also be the first to say that I still feel we are in the best place we could be in. I guess I need to just come out of the fog and start kickin some butt to find out everything that's going on.

That's just so hard to do though because there are just so flippin' many things going on in my head. I am most worried about my son (that's a given), but I also have to worry about money and my job any my bills at home and everything else that people have to think about. And I am almost embarrassed to tell you that the company I work for called me 4 days after the attack and wants the $400 I needed to still pay out during the rest of my year's paychecks for my flex account. Pretty sad, huh? So much for compassion. So much for our soldiers going over and fighting for America to have luxuries in life like cable television. OK, I am not going to go on about this because I honestly love the people I work WITH and although I definitely have anger issues about this - it's not the place to vent it.

At other times of the day I also learned that Kevin has a respiratory infection and a spinal fluid infection. They are medicating him for both and they literally put the meds for the spinal fluid directly into his brain. I just can't imagine this. Horrifying I tell you - but then this whole thing is.

We also learned that Kev does indeed have a fungus from down range growing on his right arm. The cut it all out and went wide and deep to get it all. They do think they did (get it all, I mean), but they need to keep an eye out on that area of his arm for a while.

To bring closure for the other family...Steve passed away today. I think all of us sat in the waiting room and realized that we just don't know if our children will make it through. It's just so sad for his family and for all of the families. That man was doing so well - drinking Pepsi and eating real food and BAM! He gets sick one day and is no longer with us the next. How is anyone supposed to deal with that reality, I ask?

So on a good note - Moe and Tracy are here. They got here today and I wish they didn't have to go back on Thursday. It's just nice having some semblance of normalcy - even if only for a few minutes a day.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Leslie,

I am so sorry that this happened...I am continuing to pray for you and your family...I am relieved to hear that Moe and Tracy are there with you. If you need anything sent down from good old PA, just let me know. I read your blog every morning, I really appreciate you doing that to help all of us who love Kevin know how he and all of you are doing.

Love ya!!
Samantha

Anonymous said...

I heard about you & your son from Vicki Chrisman and want you to know that you, your family and son and in my thoughts and prayers! {{{{HUGS}}}}

i. said...

Leslie,

I'm sorry you are not getting the level of communication you need from the staff. Can you request (demand?) a daily briefing with the doctors? And maybe if you keep a notebook with you during the briefings, you can take notes and not have to keep all the details in your head.

I'm glad they have caught and are treating Kevin's various infections. Hopefully the coma is just his way of getting the rest he needs to get stronger. He has already been through so much since arriving in TX a week ago. He must be overwhelmed by it all, just like you.

Hang in there. We'll keep pulling for you all!

aika/ida

In A Pinch Designs by Judy and Sheri said...

Hello Leslie,
Again many prayers from me to you and your family. I am a nurse and the idea of daily briefings is wonderful...Does the ICU have "daily rounds" where each medical, nursing and allied health discipline gets together and discusses the daily, weekly and monthly plan of care for Kevin??? If they do then maybe they could discuss that with you after they finish each day. That is kinda what we do in the ICU that I work in and the families are often comforted that they always know what is going on.
Hopefully he is getting the rest he needs while in the coma.
Take care and I will keep reading to see how Kevin is doing
Judy

Wayne and Ketha said...

Leslie...
I read about your son from Vicki Chrisman's blog. First, let me say how sorry I am to learn that your son has been injured so badly. Both he and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Secondly, and most importantly, I thank Kevin and the many other young men and women, who have so valiantly served our country in defending our freedoms so that we all may continue to enjoy the privledges we so often take for granted. Saying "thanks" doesn't seem enough for all that daily put their lives on the line for us back home. I pray that God will be with him and help him have a speedy recovery and that He will also guide the doctor's and surgeon's hands as they attend to Kevin's needs. Thank you, Leslie, for giving us your son. I pray that you will have a calming peace and added strength to help you take care of your son in the days ahead. God Bless you and your family.

goodyearsl said...

Leslie,
My thoughts and prayers are continuing for Kevin and you and Breezy, as well as for the other families that you are sharing this overwhelming time with. Please let me know if you need anything. I have posted this on my other website and have asked my friends there to pray for all of you!
Shari

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

I spoke to Breezy and check this almost daily. If either one of you need anything taken care of on this end that I can help you with, please let me know. I love you both and am so amazed with how strong you've both been throughout this whole ordeal. Know that the three of you are in my family's thoughts and prayers. I love you both!

Ashlee B

Trish said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hey,

This is Tiffany again and as you know my mom used to do the shows under bargers when you owned it. I just wanted to let you know not to worry about the money situation. I am putting together a benefit show for Kevin which will be within the next couple weeks and all proceeds will go to your family. I haven't talked to kev in a long time but he's one of the first people i talked to when i moved up here and it just shakes me up knowing that something like this could happen to anyone. I just wish it didnt happen to who it did. i talked to my aunt and had her add kevin to the prayer chain at the church she goes to. If there's anything you need please let me know and i will try to help you in any way possible.

tiffany

Unknown said...

Les, Thinking of you all and praying for Kev's recovery. Please let me know if there is anything I can do from a distance. Love you all and hope all goes well. It's very comforting to hear that Moe and Tracy could be there with you, if only for a little bit. If I could, you know I'd jump on the next plane outta here to be there for you. I'll continue to pray for you all. Love you!
Diana

Anonymous said...

Well first off i want to say that that is complete bullshit that they didn't tell you about the comma the minute that it happened...your his mother for christ sake. After reading these blogs i have come to the conclusion that although i am not doughting the doctors ability to help kevin but there really not including you and they deff. should be!!!!!

still praying =]
hugs and kisses
Ashten

Anonymous said...

Leslie
I think of you and your family everday..I know this is the hardest thing you will ever have to go through however knowing you the way I do I know that you and your family are fighters and what ever comes your way you can and will handle. WE are all praying for you and your children and for you to return home. We love you and miss you at work