Monday, June 16, 2008

Day 16 - June 16, 2008

I guess you can say Kev is doing a little better today. The docs did find a blood clot yesterday (which is typical) but they went in today and put a 'filter' in the vein so that it doesn't travel to an area that it shouldn't. Other than that, he has just been sedated and 'sleeping' all day. I know that sleeping isn't the proper word to use, but what do you say?

Good news - they are talking about removing the tube from his brain tomorrow sometime. Now that he is on a blood thinner, they won't put the antibiotics directly into the brain and since they haven't needed to remove any fluid for a couple of days, I guess they feel it's ok to remove it. They did put him on an anti-seizure medication just to play it safe though. Keep your fingers crossed on this - it's not a definite.

We did get a visitor today. Forgive me if I am wrong on the title, but I believe he is Kev's Rear Detachment Commander. His name is Sgt G (no names) and he came all the way from Germany to visit us. We went to breakfast with him this morning (and Daniel's family). He gave me a coin for Kevin from the 173rd for Courage and Strength and he also gave me the Sky Soldier Award for Excellence. I wish I knew the names of these things, but there is also some kind of rectangular pin from NATO to be worn on Kev's Class A's. And although these things all touched me deeply...he and his wife also made a poster with all kinds of pics of Kev in Germany. That meant even more to me. But the thing that truly meant the most? It's the stories! My most favorite one is where everyone had to line up (forgive my military terms ignorance) and Kev came out with this rope wrapped from his shoulder to his waist. G said "Kamm - what is this?!!" and Kev replied "I'm here for Ninja Training, Sir!". That just sounds so like Kevin, lol. That kid was always such a jokester!! I can't even begin to tell you how many times I told him before he left that he would not be able to continue clowning around like that to his superior officers. Looks like he didn't listen, huh?

I found out one thing today. Kev was the gunner up in the turret in the Humvee when the 'incident' happened. I can only bet that that made his day. I can almost feel the excitement he had to have been feeling to have this responsibility. He sure loved being in the Army.

I also learned the names of the two fallen soldiers that were with Kevin in Afghanistan. Please everyone, take a moment of silence to thank both of them for serving us and our country (no names will be given in this blog anymore). May they both rest in peace.

And to their families, should they find their way here? My heart is broken for not only myself, but for both of you. I honestly feel your pain and am here if you need me. I wish I knew what to say, but there are no words adequate enough to soothe your souls.

21 comments:

Vicki Chrisman said...

Great to talk with you Les! Hoping for a good day for you and Kevin tomorrow!!

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good day. Praying for you,Kevin, and Breezy. Plus I got some people that are better with the man above helping out with prayers too! You are never far from my thoughts. Miss you! Kristen

Anonymous said...

Father in Heaven, I pray that Leslie and Breezy would sense Your presence today in a way they have not known before. I pray that they would be strengthened with the strength that You give which is so much more than man can come up with. I pray Kevin would also know Your nearness. May they all be comforted by You. Please touch their lives in a way they all know it's You.

My son is a gunner in a Humvee turret too. He knows Kevin and loves Kevin's humor. I enjoyed the "ninja" story. I'm glad God gave you a happy moment yesterday.

In A Pinch Designs by Judy and Sheri said...

Continuing to pray for you and your family Leslie...May God bless those who have fallen and those who continue the journey to keep our countries free!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Leslie, So glad Kevin had a good day. I'm sure there are times you feel like you are on a roller coaster. Leslie please email me - if you are up to it. The Shields family would like to have contact with you. I am at
deborayashinski@yahoo.com
Leslie my love, thoughts and prayers are with you, your daughter and those that love Kevin. Love Mommaski

Unknown said...

Les, glad to hear that it was a good day. You'll be receiving a card from a Deb Fritz and Bob Brown. Deb works at the gazette and remembers Kevin at his Dad's wedding and she told my mom she had so much fun with him because he was a jokester then. She just wants to send a card to let you know she and Bob are thinking and praying for Kevin too. Keep the faith and be strong. I hope to read of another good day for you, Kevin and Breezy again later tonight. Love you all, Diana

Anonymous said...

Leslie and Breeze,
Bare all you burdens to God. Let him take control. Keep faith. If there where only words that could be said to take all the pain and hurt anyway. I can only imagine what you could be possibly going through. We love you all.
Dyan(dougherty)Hesidence

Anonymous said...

Ninja training huh? Yeah, that does sound like Kevin. Can't believe he actually got away with that, lol. Take care Leslie and Breezy.
A1C Karl Vaughn Hillwig

Anonymous said...

Les, wanted to let you know that we are all praying for you back here in Creekside. Kevin has been on the prayer chain since the beginning and we are trusting that God is going to do a mighty work. Please let us know in what other ways we can continue to support you all.

Patsor Jude

Anonymous said...

I worked with Kevin at the E.B. store. He always had a joke or a story to tell that made you laugh for hours. I would have loved to see the "Ninja" thing. He is just the best. He is a hero in every sense of the word. You and Kevin and Breezy are in our prayers. God always listens. Take good care.

Anonymous said...

just want to give Kevin a big AIRBORNE! for today. Hang in there trooper!
An old Skysoldier

Anonymous said...

i was lookin at pic of kam today from basic he made life fun at basic and our last overnight pass me brown keith and kam had a great time ..... i dont think u were allowed to have fun at basic but kam did jus that every day
praying for u kamm

Spc Quimby

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

I just heard the shocking news about Kevin. You are in our thoughts and prayers. We will be praying for Kevin to have a full recovery.

Bradybill and Family

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
I met your son just over six months ago. My fiance is Keith (the man who you talked to on the phone). I have heard so many stories about your son. Between your blog and Keith's stories I would definitely have to say your son is a fighter. It seems as though he got that trait from you. You are a very strong woman. With Keith being in the Army for the next 8 years, I pray that I will be able to be as strong as you if I am ever put in a similar situation. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Keep fighting, we are all behind you.

Sincerely,
Cassie

Kay said...

Hang in there, friend. Hoping for more good news soon.

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
You and Kevin are in my prayers everyday.I check your blog all the time!!I think and talk about you all the time.I am there with you in my thoughts.Keep strong.He will make it.All my love.

Anonymous said...

Hi Breezy: have been on computer eversince I have heard what happened to your brother, Kevin. Take day for day to see improvements on Kevin, prayers are with him for full recovery. You and your mom take care and god bless you. with love, Donna Scherer

Unknown said...

Hi Leslie,

I think this is the first time I've posted on your blog...but I've been visiting daily for updates.

We will continue to keep your family in our thoughts. Continue to stay strong.

v/r

SSgt & TSgt Brooks, USAF

Kathy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie. I read about your son's story on KDKA this past week. I've been reading your blog everyday for updates and praying for his complete recovery. Tears poured from my eyes as I read about his great service and sacrifice for our country, and about your and your daughter's bravery during this difficult time. I will continue to pray for all of you, that you might feel some peace and get some rest while you are helping him recover.
May God Bless you and your family and especially Kevin.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you enjoyed the poster i made for Kevin & you. I hope you look at it and it brings you happiness. We really do miss him and think about him daily.
Love Mrs. G