Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Day 11 - June 11, 2008

I just hung up the phone with my Mom and Dad. I honestly can't imagine being in their shoes. Kevin lived with them for a few months when he was having some trouble adjusting to high school, and between my parents and my brother and sisters - we have always been there for each other. My family has been tremendous through all of this. It has been especially hard that my Mom hasn't been able to come down yet. Although I do need her here, she was in the middle of moving and just couldn't come - I totally understand that (and Kev would too!). I also have to say that my dad is a man's man. I can't say that I have ever really seen him cry, but I am pretty darn sure that I heard a few sniffles this past week when I would just break down or give some bad news. To my mom and dad - I love you both so much. And to all the people reading this - call your parents now and tell them you love them too. And if y'all haven't learned it yet - give your kids a huge hug!

As for Kev - today has mostly been a good day. I think I mentioned yesterday that there was a communication breakdown, but I began to rectify that this morning. I did meet with the doctor and we talked for about a half hour. Kevin is in a coma, but I will happily tell you that he started swinging again today when anyone would try to move anything or open his eyes. He hasn't done any of this for days, so I was ecstatic to see this.

I also learned today that he now has an infection in his blood. So let's see...we have a respiratory infection, a spinal fluid infection, an infection in his blood and a fungus. This is all on top of all the other things wrong with him.

BUT - on a great note - 97% of Kev's skin grafts 'took'! We still have a few areas that need taken care of because they can't roll him over onto his belly to do the back area, but if 97% of the original grafts were a success - we are rockin'!!

As for the fungus - I did learn today that it was a non-invasive fungus. Meaning it wasn't eating away at good flesh - it was just on top of his graft. I am told this is a good thing.

Also on a fantastic note - Kev mostly breathed on his own today. He was on the C-pap respirator meaning that he mostly took all of his own breaths and if for some reason he didn't - the ventilator would kick in. At this point we do not plan to remove the ventilator because he still needs more surgeries, but it's a darn good thing for him to be breathing on his own.

I gotta tell you all though...I didn't really understand the C-Pap thing and earlier today he had the hiccups. I can't even begin to explain the fear that I felt when he started jerking off the bed every few seconds.

As for the scariest point of the day? Kev's chest didn't move for about 30 seconds this afternoon and I honestly thought he died. Truly. I ran out of his room with my face white as a ghost thinking I just lost my son and I was just screaming for help. Of course there were no beeps from the machines so the nurse took her time coming in to me. It really was stupid of me to not realize what was going on, but I just have never been medically inclined (although I do believe that is about to change). To be honest, now I am quite embarrassed that I was so dumb, but I thought the respirator quit on us. I mean...hey...machines can just stop and we all know it, right? Right.

Ok, gonna wrap this up for the night. I am sure you have all gathered that this has been a good day. We can only hope tomorrow will be as well.

24 comments:

Gretchen said...

Oh Les, I'm so glad to hear he had a better day. At least they're not all bad days, you know?? And the fact that he's fighting again - great sign!! And gosh, I think most people woulda done the same thing if they didn't see him breathing for 30 seconds. Scary! But what a relief it turned out to be nothing big. Love you, and thinking about you and praying for Kevin.

In A Pinch Designs by Judy and Sheri said...

Leslie, you and Kevin definitely needed a day like that...those machines gives us headaches at work too!!! I always say to my patients families that no question is stupid and no reaction is too much. Communiction is key!!! Nurses work with this stuff everyday but our families have never seen some of this stuff...your reaction was completely normal.
You sound like you have such a wonderful network of family and friends that are helping you...Thank God for this...it is a true blessing to have that.
Take Care and I will keep reading to see how you are all doing.

Judy

Jami said...

Hi Leslie, I thought I would let you know that you, Breezy and Kev and still in my thoughts and prayers. I am so glad that he is such a fighter and that he had a good day. Leslie this is a all new experience for you and I am sorry that you have to go through this. Please do not ever call yourself dumb, this is a whole new learning curve being thrown your way. HUGS!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Leslie,
I don't know if you remember me, but back in your Home Interior Days, we saw alot of each other. I do pray that Kevin has a full and complete healing. I believe in miracles and the power of prayer and it sounds like you have quite a bit of that on your side.My thoughts are with you and I pray for your continued strength.
Peggy McElravy

Valerie S said...

Leslie, how nice it is to hear that Kevin had a good day for the most part. As for your reaction, hey, I would have done the same thing. You're his mom and that's what moms do!

Much love and continued prayers for Kevin, you, and your family, including your parents!

Annette said...

Leslie--Just wanted to let you know that my prayers and with you and Kevin, I read your blog constantly I never shut it down while at work. Then I pass everything on to my Mom. From what I have read Kev seems like a true fighter and no doubt he will pull right thru this. Haven't seen him since he was so little. You take care of yourself also and we will continue all our prayers.

Love,
Your Cousin Annette

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
Glad to hear that Kevin had a good day. Coming from one mother to another I would have had the same reation if it appeared my son wasn't breathing....that's what us mothers do! My thoughts and prayers are with you, Kevin, breezy and your family every day! Kevin is a fighter ...keep the faith and I pray we see a miracle happen and Kevin recovers fully!
Love you!
Shari Allison Goodyear

i. said...

Leslie,

I would never laugh at you for your reaction to the ventilator. I've been through that with my MIL and probably said and did many of the same things as you when I thought it wasn't working correctly. It truly is frightening!

I'm so happy to hear that Kevin is once again fighting for his comfort and that there are several bits of positive news. Cling to those to keep your spirits up! Every positive is another step in the right direction.

We think of Kevin everyday, and we keep pulling for all of you!

-ida

Sherri said...

I just fininished reading your posts related to your son Kevin's injury. I want to give you a hug and tell you that all you are feeling is OK. It is a roller coaster and you cannot see the end. Your hope is necessary for you and him. What you are going through is a frightening experience, and as a healthcare professional I would be every bit as frightened as you are, it is always hard when it is our own. You and your families love will bring him strength. My prayers are with you all during this incredibly difficult challenge in your life.

Anonymous said...

Leslie, I just wanted to let you know that Kory, Ashley and I are praying for you, Kev, & Breezy. When I got the news I was so upset, I cannot imagine Kevin being old enough to be in the armed forces... It seems like only yesterday that our kids were staying @ each others houses and now they are all grown up. Please take care, I pray for brighter days ahead for you and your family. Love, Debbie Carrico

Anonymous said...

Dear Leslie,
I just wanted to say that my heart goes out to you and to breezy and of course kevin. I read your blog everyday and it just leaves me speachless. My prayers are with you and kevin. If I know kevin how I think I do, there is no way he will let him self be taken by this war and no way he'd give up. please stay strong!
Nikki McElroy

Vicki Chrisman said...

Thank God for these "good" days! I hope there are more and more of them! I think of you every day (LOTS and LOTS of times thoughout the day) and send you hugs, prayers and well wishes for your entire fam. I'm here for ya if you need anything..just call!

Anonymous said...

Leslie, I'm so glad you let the paper print the story. I got an early edition brought in and it's a great story about a great family and a great individual who sacrificed for his country. The story really needs told. Stay strong all of you!!! Our thoughts and prayers are with you daily.
Sharon, Zach and Haleigh

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

I couldn't believe what I had heard about Kevin. I am truly sorry. You have a strong family and Kevin is fighting. I think about you and kevin daily. You are in my prayers. God bless you, Kevin and Family.
Love,
Barbie DeBacco

Anonymous said...

Leslie
We just wanted to let you know that we are pulling for Kevin and your family. We think about you every day and are praying for you. Keep fighting for your boy, and please take care of yourself. Our little town plans to do everything we can to help you all out.
Ba and AJ

Anonymous said...

Leslie...I just wanted to say that I'm so glad he had such a good day....

You are in me and my mom's thoughts and prayers...and let Kevin know that we love him..and you too!


Samantha & Darla Harmon

Amanda said...

Hey Leslie - so glad today was a good day. Thanks for keeping us updated. Positive thoughts to Kevin, you and Breezy too. We're thinking of you. Amanda H.

Maddy said...

Hi Les, I'm so glad to know Kevin had a good day. He's a fighter for sure. Know that I continue to think of you and keep you & your fam in my thoughts and prayers. Big hugs to you!
love you,
Maddy

tburd said...

hey hon i just read the butler eagle hence finding out about this site!!! i am so glad to hear that he's doing better and improving each day. he has been in my prayers daily as have you. i would have freaked out about the 30 seconds thing too heck i woulda waited about 15 and ran so kudos to you for waiting and i'm glad that it was nothing too major. well girl you and your family hang in there...i've added him to as many prayer lists as i can. love you!!

Anonymous said...

Leslie, I am praying for Kevin and your whole family. I had no idea this happened until I seen this in the Butler Eagle today. There is a wonderful article, we are all proud of Kevin and we will not forget the sacrifice he has made. We will have to have a HUGE homecoming for him when he comes back to PA. I know the anquish of a mother who has a child in a war in the middle east, however I cannot imagine what you feel now. Keep your head up and your self strong. Please let me know what I can do to help you through this. Most of all remember that you are not dumb, you are stuck in the middle of an extraordinary circumstance. Praying for Kevin and your family, V/R Michelle @ Nextier.

Missy said...

Leslie, I'm glad to hear that Kevin had a good day today. Rememer that we are thinking about you and praying for a speedy recovery for Kevin.
Hugs,

Missy G

Anonymous said...

Leslie I admire you so much as i've said before in the past. I'm thinking of you every day and am so glad that you all had a better day today.
We all miss you so much and am so glad to hear that he's still fighting and breathing on his own.

Wings said...

Dear Leslie & Breezy,

I'm a friend from a distant past. Think Sugarcreek elementary - PTO etc. (For Breezy - I'm Mac Ronge's mom.)

I was heart broken for you when I heard about Kevin.

Please do not think of yourself as dumb - you are getting an education that it would take years to textbook - and you are getting it in days and with all the emotion on top. But you are getting it through love - a powerful teacher!

I remember you are a strong willed lady, you are really needing this trait right now, but remember you need time to download too - take that time. Allow yourself to be angry, cry ---- all those things - Do them when you need to and then pull the strength back out and be there for Kev.

I know you can do whatever is asked for - love gives us strength.

Please know that you have a lot of people praying for you and Kevin, and remember "wherever two or more are gathered in His name - there is love". I'm hoping you are blessed with many more "better" days.

Blessings,
Mary

Anonymous said...

Dear Leslie and family,
I am so happy that today was a good day! My family prays for many great days ahead. Allow yourself to vent and say your frustration. You are human and we wish we could make every -thing right as it should be in your lives. God is with all of you and Kevin is a fighter. That is a great sign. If you need anything, reach out and tell anyone of us through your diary. He is on our prayer list at St. Pat's and our home prayer. Rest when you can to keep yourself going. Kevin knows you are there for him. You are a loving MOM! God Bless You. When Kevin reads this, I want him to know that I thank him for his unselfish service to all of us. Love, Susan Reeves.