Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Day 761 - Jun 29, 2010

Thanks everyone for the continued support. I will figure it out and maybe next week I can try to get a little break - this week is just too busy with appointments.

And speaking of appointments, today we took Kevin to the VA dentist's office. I had been told that we needed to have all of his teeth fixed before we got the plate put in so we went for our initial consult today. I am not sure exactly how many cavities Kevin does have, but we are going to begin filling them on Friday.

I have to say, a few weeks ago when this appointment was scheduled, I was so sure it was going to be just horrible. Back then though, Kevin could barely get out of bed and it was just unimaginable to me that we could make the drive - more or less make it through the visit.

But Kevin did FANTASTIC today!! We got there and he was super patient while waiting to go in. Then he hit it off well with the dentist and his assistant and he managed to get x-rays done AND a cleaning! He was just such a trooper and I was so proud of him.

So we go back on Friday and they are planning to at least get one tooth filled. I feel so much better about getting all of this done now. And I have to give credit where credit is due - this VA dental clinic is WONDERFUL!!

So that's pretty much it for today. I am going to try to get some sleep. Kevin has been dreaming (or whatever) pretty badly the last few nights and so far so good for tonight. He has been snoring for 20 minutes now and he hasn't awakened once yet.

Oh please, please, please let him sleep all night long!!!

2 comments:

karen said...

I'm at dentist for my weekly (!) appointment to clean up the messes left by previous dentists this morning. Solidarity, Kevin! (Good thing I have a type A dentist now ... exactly what I want in someone working on this mouth.)

Jessica said...

Glad you're going to be making some time for yourself. I think that's the hardest thing for caregivers to do, literally and emotionally. One thing I would recommend for the teeth clenching is a mouth guard like wrestlers use. They're cheap and you can trim them to your size and even sleep in them. You don't want any cracked teeth and clenching can cause wicked headaches.

It's great to hear that an appointment went well, especially since you were expecting it not to! I hope that Kevin's sleeping will start to improve now that he's not struggling with so much pain. I've heard that cognitive behavioral therapy can help with insomnia and even bad dreams. I hope so, because I'm going to try it. I'll let you know if it works for me!

I'm thinking of you all and keeping you in my prayers. Take care.