Saturday, June 5, 2010

Day 736 - Jun 4, 2010

Kevin has been very angry for about the last week or so because he can't go anywhere by himself. He wants to be able to jump in the car and just go somewhere although when asked where he wants to go he just screams "I don't know!!" He does understand that he can't go anywhere by himself - not totally anyway - but I think he's just tired of being in the house and tired of being with the same person day after day.

So today, Joseph and I took him to Dave and Busters. D&B is basically an adult arcade and you should have seen Kevin's face when he was walking closer and closer to the game area and was finally figuring out what we were doing. I wouldn't tell him for the last couple of days where we were going, just that it was a surprise and we were going to a fun place.

And he had a blast. We were there close to three hours. I did have to medicate him twice, but he didn't want to leave no matter how much pain he was in. Finally though, he was in sensory overload and we did go home, but after we were home a bit and he rested - he wanted to go back!

For me, it was so great to see him having fun, but it did make me think again of how sucky his life really is. Putting aside all the medical stuff - he has no friends, he is usually in too much pain to do anything and if he felt well enough he has no way to get out and about without his mommy taking him. Pretty bad for a 21 year guy.

Hopefully, once the plate is put back in his head, he will feel better and can start doing things. Things with the Wounded Warrior Project and other wounded soldiers. Maybe he and Joseph can go do things too; fishing, concerts, who knows...

Tomorrow we are supposed to go to a picnic with other wounded military personnel. I really want him to go and start doing things like this, but he doesn't want to. He's just not a picnic kind of guy so I imagine I will have a fight on my hands in the morning. Keep your fingers crossed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When i read and feel the sadness in your words because Kevin isn't "there" yet, I so much want to reach out and tell you, "it's okay. it's going to get better. it's much better than it was 700 days ago or even 300 days ago." I know these words do not help and living the nightmare is much different than watching the nightmare through a blog. I myself am going through so challenges with my husband's health. Some day I will share but right now it's just overwhelming, much like you have felt for a much longer time. I hope I have your strength to get through it. I hope you can see the positive effect you have on many people.
God doesn't make mistakes. HE puts us exactly where we need to be and gives us exactly what we need to get through it...you have to believe that. that has become my motto in my head...when i feel i can't go on i think about the love of God and living for what he wants me to live for...not what I want to live for...I know you understand this; you would not have survived 736 without faith, the love of God, and prayers...just keep putting one foot in front of the other. My husband is worth his weight in gold and so is Kevin...that's what we have to remember. God bless you Leslie and I always remember you and Kevin in prayer.
Hallie

Cathy M said...

I ditto what Hallie said.

When things are not as I would like, I have to find the lesson or find the positive in things. It is the only way I can get past something unpleasant in my life. If I don't look for something positive, any tiny little thing, it just makes everything so much harder to handle.

I have read your blog for two years now and you are an inspiration - not just in what you do but in how you do it. When your fall (or Kevin falls), you pick yourself up and keep on going. There is no other way, of course, but you seem to do everything you can to find the positive hidden in all the difficulty and sadness of your life's path.

God bless you.

Miss Em said...

Hello Leslie and Kevin,

It was so good to hear that Kevin was having a great time and did Not want to leave.
AND.
When rested wanted to go back.

As for the picnic...
Maybe letting him know that it is a way to meet other Air Borne then it might change his mind.
Any chance that you could get Breezy and her fine young soldier to go with you?
Any chance you could find out what will be going on during the time that the picnic is happening? That way you can in-fan-size[sp?] one of the happenings and not the whole thing.

karen said...

Thanks for the reply to my email, Leslie. I know that your time is precious so it means that much more that you took the time.

I have something for Kevin's birthday!!! I am getting it in the mail this week but I'm horrific at that sort of thing ... I have a mail phobia, lol. I am so excited. It is just small, but something mentioned in the blog last fall. Can you guess?! Having just read all 700 previous entries (I've been reading up-to-dates since Christmas) it was quite timely ... Oh, how I love doing little things for people's birthdays!!!

Anyway, I too want to encourage you through your sadness. It has to be quite a burden, but your shoulders, even when you don't feel like it, are broad enough to get you through the next while. Things have changed so much since that first week, and they are going to change some more as time goes on.

Just wondering if you have to tell Kevin that you are going to a picnic, or you could just say you are going out someplace interesting and keep it as a secret like you did the arcade? That way he wouldn't have preconceived notions about an, ugh, PICNIC, and just arrive to judge the event when he gets there?

Halle, sorry that you are struggling too. You too are strong and a hero(ine). Best wishes with things easing up.

Unknown said...

We'll look forward to having Kevin join us for WWP events when he feels up to it!