Saturday, May 15, 2010

Day 715 - May 14, 2010

We woke up today to a whole bunch of flooding. The whole back area of the apartment complex was under water so we opted to not go anywhere at all today. I knew a lot of the roads were probably closed too and I sure didn't want to get somewhere and maybe not be able to get back home.

It was a pretty good day though. I got my floors scrubbed and Kevin and I worked literally for hours on a puzzle I purchased the other day.

His new mattress was also delivered tonight (and roads were closed - that poor delivery guy) and although it was supposed to be longer, it's the same length. I guess I have to call the VA on Monday and get the proper bed ordered. Poor Kevin is so tall that his feet are against the foot board. It doesn't help that he sleeps low in the bed, but it's where his body is most comfortable. And I can't say much - in the beginning he used to have his feet hanging a foot over the end of the bed. You wouldn't believe how many hundreds of times I would help the nurses pull his body back up the bed to the top of the mattress. He would always scoot back down though.

And now I am heading to bed. It's been raining again for the last couple of hours so we may not be going anywhere again tomorrow. I hope we can - I really need a few groceries. I have been trying to push the fresh veggies and I am all out of them. Kevin is drinking a lot of milk again too - just like the old days - nearly a gallon a day. No wonder he weighs 192.5 now... (which, btw, we did figure out that his last weight gain was due to a new medication. He gained that last 20 pounds really fast and has gained nothing since.)

1 comment:

Miss Em said...

Hello Leslie and Kevin,

Just a thought on why Kevin is sleeping so low in the bed.

Think "Fox Hole".

Kevin's mind was trained by the Army that getting as low as possible was what was going to keep him from getting hurt by shrap metal from shells/bombs or shot by the bad guys. ["Bunkers" are on the same principle.]
His mind is STILL practicing that training even when it no longer has a reason to do so and That may be why Kevin feels safer in that position.

Wonderful to learn that Kevin was so intrigued by the puzzle for hours.
YEAH!!!!!

Miss Em
Austell, Ga.