Saturday, May 8, 2010

Day 708 - May 7, 2010

We had a decent day today. We had to run down to BAMC to pick up some meds and that was a bit rough, but we did manage.

Tracey from Pgh - you asked what is causing the pain now that the plate is out and there really is no way to be sure, but I believe it is fluid movement. Before Kevin's hair grew in, when he would sit up in bed you could see fluid moving around in the sunken area of his head - where the plate should be. Someone told me once that they read of another person in this situation and this person claimed that the pressure in his head was the most intense pain he ever felt when he would move around.

I remember that we were very limited before the plate was put in the first time too. He was always in pain and the least little bump in the road or any fast movement would cause extreme pain. It's not to say that he wasn't in pain after the plate was put in, but it was nowhere near as debilitating as it is now.

Now, we can barely get out of the house. Some days, Kevin can't even get out of bed. Matter of fact, he now only takes a shower every other day because it hurts him so much to get up. Like I said the other day too, he usually can't even sit through dinner.

We did play 3 games of Skipbo tonight though. Short ones, but we still made it the whole way through.

And I don't think I mentioned that the President signed the bill! Thank you to whomever posted it in the comments area and thanks also to Anna who sent me a link to the video. I am posting it below in case anyone wants to watch it:

Video of President Signing Bill

I had the pleasure of meeting Ted and Sara Wade when I went to DC back in the fall. They are wonderful people and I'm so glad they were able to be there. I sure appreciate everyone that worked on this!

And now I am off to bed!

3 comments:

GrannieEv said...

Thanks for posting the link to the video ... it brought tears to my eyes that y'all are finally going to get some much needed and LONG overdue compensation. Now to see it put into effect, seamlessly.

As for Kevin's pain - I don't even want to deal with a bad sinus headache, pain in my ears and the pressure of it all ... I can not imagine what Kevin must go through.

Anonymous said...

Yes, thanks for posting that link.....I didn't know about it, and I'm thrilled for you guys and so many others who hopefully will soon be realizing the benefits of this bill. As I understood it, then you, Leslie, will have the coverage you'll need to have care as well. That thrills me....make sure you use it!! :-)
Poor Kevin,.....how much longer now until the plate can be attached again? Is that a sure bet to give him relief of such horrible pain? I hope and pray so!
I'm hoping for a good weekend for you all,
Anita

Unknown said...

I am so happy for you, that perhaps a portion of the stress you are under, will be relieved!

It is not too much to ask of our Country to care for you as you care for Kevin!