Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Day 704 - May 3, 2010

Kevin barely got out of bed today. He did take a shower and that's about it.

I am just going to answer a few questions/comments and then try to get to bed. I can hear Kevin sleeping so I want to get some zzzzz's myself.

GrannieEv - I signed up for that survey weeks ago and have already been contacted about possibly taking part in one of the discussion groups. They are dated later this month so we will see if I get to participate. Thanks for letting me know about it!

Anita and everyone else - I know that you all tell me that I need to take care of myself, but it's really just not that easy. I made a goal to get my sense of self back this year and here it is - May 4 (Happy Birthday, MOE!!! - it's the first BD I missed - I'll try make it up to you though!)...Anyway...here it is May 4 and I haven't done one thing (that I can recall anyway). As for my blood pressure and/or seeing a doctor - not going to happen unless this bill goes through and I get medical coverage. We all know that the doctor's bill never stops at just seeing the doctor - there's always blood tests and work ups and yada yada. Totally not in my budget.

Janna - after Sept sounds perfect for a visit. Once Kevin has the plate back in he should be able to handle company a little bit easier. Good luck with the move!

Bryan Ott - 270 days after the President signs it? Holy crap! I am so not political and can't even begin to understand why it would take that long to take action. That's 9 months away!! Does it just take this long to figure out how to make the bill work? Or is that going to just add even more time before we are able to buy groceries and pay our bills? Also, you mentioned "You will get what the CNA's get for the hours the VA determines you provide Kevin with care". Hmmm...a little humor here - I know our CNA got $10 an hour. Since both you/Chris and I work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, what do you think the odds are that we really get paid $7200 a month? Bwaahaaha! I think I can guarantee that's not happening, lol! (and say 'hi' to Chris and JT)

Cathy M - I don't know about our aide doing any type of 'therapy' work, but I did call our case manager at the VA here in SA today and told her that there really is no way that Kevin is going to be able to 'go' to any therapy. We are really going to have to have therapists come into the home and even then I'm not really sure he can handle it. He has just slid so far backward in this regard...

And now I am heading to bed. He has been sleeping the whole time I have been typing away so maybe it will be a good night...

3 comments:

Moe said...

Ahh you don't need to make anything up to me!
I understand, and I'll have many other Birthdays. And
I'll hopefully be down soon and we'll have dinner
or something for both of our Birthdays together!
Love and miss ya!!!!' Moe

Cathy M said...

Oh, Leslie, maybe I was not clear about "therapy". I was just thinking that the young aid could do some "fun" things with Kevin in your home that involved something different than playing video games, for example. I mean, could the aide and Kevin walk for 5-10minutes outside and talk about guy stuff, or do some verbal puzzles, or maybe work on some cognitive types of things. Nothing too taxing, but just a little bit challenging in a kind of fun way. I wish I had some more specific ideas but I thought this young aide would have some ideas. Hugs to you and Kevin.

Anonymous said...

Not sure if you knew that the president signed the bill!!!!!
It provides for funding/training and respite services for care givers of Wounded Warriors.