Friday, May 14, 2010

Day 714 - May 13, 2010

Today was a really good day. We had an appt at a small VA clinic to join up with a primary care doctor. I was very impressed with the way they asked me first if they should speak to me or to Kevin. I asked them to speak to him to try to see how he answered the questions. He did fantastic! He seems to understand the pain scale now and even told the doc that he had 'sharp' pains in his head as opposed to dull, throbbing, etc. He has never been able to describe his pain before so this is wonderfully new. She probably asked about 30 or more questions and the only one he didn't understand was 'does your chest hurt?'

I was also very impressed with him actually being honest and 'saying' he doesn't understand. It's the norm where he just goes along with what is said rather than show that he doesn't comprehend something.

So anyway, he really did well. He played his Zune for a while when I did have to go over all of his meds and he handled the whole 2 hours or so that we were there very well.

Even better, when we left he still felt well enough to want to eat a late lunch out. (he did need meds though). So we headed to a Red Robin - we had never eaten there before - and he did great for a while, but about the time the food got there he was really starting to hurt. I wasn't surprised as it had been nearly 4 hours that he had been out of bed so we just packed it all up and went home to eat.

All in all he did fantastic! I took a photo of him at Red Robin with his new phone too. I am going to end this post with it:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sill reading every day even though I don't comment much. How are your parents? Is there anything I can send that you need from good ole PA?? Any favorites you cannot get there that you are wanting? Just let me know and I will send it!
Love ya and glad to see Kev is doing better.
Love
Sue

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you had a really good day! It sounds like Kevin did great at the clinic! :) Just think of how good things will get once he gets his surgery! I hope the time flies by. Thanks for the picture. Kevin looks happy with his new phone! :)
Have a great Friday!
Kathy in IA

Miss Em said...

Hello Leslie and Kevin

It is always good for the "Doctors" to get the info striaght from the "horses mouth" [as the old saying goes].

For the "Doctor" to be able to a good feed-back from Kevin is the best because it allows Kevin to be an active part of the process instead of feeling as if he is the "guinea pig" in an experiment.

{been there had that done to me...SUCKS}

Good to hear that Kevin felt good enough after to want to eat out. Sad to learn that it didn't last as long as expected. Good Try Kevin.

Need Kevin to come teach me how to use all the bells and whistles on my phone...REALLY.

Miss Em
Austell, Ga.

Anonymous said...

That's an encouraging development...
A.

karen said...

Kudos to the health care people who are aware enough to check in with you (both hopefully) about who they were talking directly to. I have a friend who has Cerebral Palsy, and because of the way she "looks", many professionals address the people accompanying her. It is dehumanising, and disheartening. I've seen people speak respectfully and directly to my friend and !what a difference it makes!

Yay to the REAL professionals. Glad Kevin is getting good at holding up his end -- talking about pain and owning up to not understanding things. Those seem like huge wins for him (and you).

Anonymous said...

God Bless each of you for all you have endured. Hang in there, you are a great mom to a great young man. Angie Tampa, FL