Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Day 711 - May 10, 2010

Kevin did have a better day today. Cathy M - you asked if I thought Kevin forgot seeing the photos to get through it or if he just pushes bad stuff from his mind. I truly have no idea, no way of knowing. It's my guess that he does a little of both, but there is probably more of the forgetting.

I know that last night he made me take his Zune out of his room so I lay it on the couch next to me (hence pushing the thoughts from his mind). Today he came out and actually sat in the living room for a bit and questioned why his Zune was there. All I had to do was look at him though and he remembered what happened. So I guess he is forgetting for an instant, but he pretty much remembers pretty quickly - with a look or some other trigger to make him think for a bit. (and let's be honest - don't we all forget stuff throughout the day?)

This is when it becomes another aspect of my job though and that's to keep him occupied so he doesn't focus on those crappy thoughts. Today we played Skipbo twice with Joseph and then 2 more times this evening. I also went and took a nap (!!!) this afternoon while Joseph was here and I could hear the two of them laughing just as I was drifting off. What a truly wonderful sound!

And then - Kevin called my nephew, Anthony, today. Kevin pretty much never initiates phone calls. I have no idea what prompted it today, but it sure made me smile. I just walked away and left them talk. Truthfully, I didn't even know who he called, but he told me later when I asked. (he puts his arm around an imaginary person next to him - like he would a good friend - and I know it's either Ronnie or Anthony)

Really, it was a good day for the most part. He still couldn't handle eating dinner at the table, but after playing cards, I never thought he'd be able to. It's alright though - I have gotten quite used to eating alone and I would rather do that than have him be in pain.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Kevin's day was a little better. It's great to hear that he was having a good time with Joseph! Also that he wanted to call his cousin.
Have a great day!
Kathy in IA

Miss Em said...

Hello Leslie and Kevin

Somedays are "GOOD" and some days are "bad" that just the way it is for now.

Somethings are remembered and delt with at that time. Most, tho, are remembered and left on the side to be delt with later when one has the "energy" and/or "desire" to put it to bed.

Great to hear that Kevin "called" his cousin...taking one more step away from the "I can't" to the "I can". Way to go Kevin.

Miss Em
Austell, Ga.

Tracey from Pgh. said...

Yeah for naps! Good for you, Leslie!

Kris said...

So nice to hear that Kevin's day was better, that he had fun with Joseph, talked to a great friend, and that Leslie got a N-A-P!!! WOOHOO!! You must revel in that like there is no tomorrow!

My heart just broke and my eyes were sweating when I read the entry about Kevin finding the pics of himself and lamenting the realities. I guess it's bound to happen, but still I just can't imagine. Being a mom in that situation must make it extra sucky, what do you say?!

I cannot imagine the amount of herculean strength that it takes to get through your days; I'm sure it's impossible for most of us out here to imagine.

God bless you Leslie, Kevin and Breezy. Thoughts, prayers, support and loads of extra special Angel Hugs are always on their way to you all, and they always will be.

- Kris, a Soldiers' Angel from RI

Anonymous said...

Just getting caught up with reading the blog after being away for a few days. That's absolutely WONDERFUL about the Caregiver's Act finally going through. While it can never come close to fixing the lousy things that have happened to your family, it should at least help some in the financial area while you're dealing with all the other stuff.

Sorry to hear Kevin is in so much pain so often. And seeing pics of himself before all this and realizing what he's lost had to be awful for him.

Good to hear though that if all goes well the plate could go back in in another few months and with a little luck, his amazing progress will resume.

Judy from sw PA