Thursday, October 22, 2009

Day 511 - Oct 22, 2009

We had an appointment at a TBI clinic today at BAMC and it went so well. It is really amazing how far Kevin has come in the last few months, but most especially the last month - since we got to Texas really.

The doctor talked to him for a full hour, asking him all sorts of questions, and he understood pretty much everything. I have noticed him following more and being able to 'answer' or respond accurately lately. This gives me such hope.

Mary (FRC) and I have also been discussing sending Kevin to a facility that will teach him to be more independent at home. I think we are getting close to him being able to go to something like this, but the time isn't right quite yet. He still has to pull back from needing me so much, but I feel confident that it won't be too much longer.

One of the places we are discussing is about a half hour north of San Antonio. If anyone is interested, they can check out the website by clicking here.

It sounds good, huh? Now I just need to work on me trusting another place to take care of him as he will go alone to this. I have to admit that that trust is gone and I'm not sure if it's going to come back. I'll work on it though.

So anyway, that was pretty much it today. I am going to just hit on a couple comments. There are a bunch, but I want to finish my book tonight so I will get to the rest over the next couple of days.

First - Janet - did Matt end up being okay? It was so nice seeing you - even if it was while both our kids were in the ER. And yes - Kev definitely knows who you are. He is not good with names, but when I mention you I say "the woman that went with us to Chick-Fil-A that day". He knows exactly who you are as soon as I say that, lol. Anyway, if you are still here - call me and you can go out with Moe and I for dinner one day this week.

To everyone that mentioned that Kevin and Breezy's bond is strong and that's why he was able to sit so long in the ER - I agree. He was very upset. But you know what - even with that, he still has to be able to handle all of the stimulation and this just shows again how far he has come.

Michelle Long - you asked if the band played their song for Kevin - LOL - I have no idea. I had earplugs in and couldn't clearly hear anything. Love these guys - but this music is just not my thing.

Ok - enough for now. I really want to finish The Lost Symbol. I just love Dan Brown and am so close to the end of the book!

3 comments:

Kris said...

What an action packed week!! Yes, Kevin has come sooooo far... it's truly amazing even watching from 100s of miles away. You will do the right thing at the right time with Kevin in regards to the facility. That could be great therapy for you both, but when you're both ready.

So sorry that Breezy had the kidney stone - I had one last year and I really and truly thought I was dying. Called the ambulance and everything, same symptoms as Breezy. EMT asks symptoms, I tell him, he says he believes it's a kidney stone. I said "it's NOT a kidney stone, clearly I'm DYING!!" It was awful. Gave birth to my daughter with no drugs (not by choice :)) and I would rather do that again 50 times than have another kidney stone. Man o man!

Anyway, hope you all have a great weekend, filled with even more progress. Thoughts, prayers, support and loads of extra special Angel Hugs are always on their way to you all!

- Kris, a Soldiers' Angel from RI

Cathy M said...

The TBI clinic you mentioned is SO what I had in mind for Kevin at some point (remember "Out of My Head" that I sent)? I hope someday you can enroll him, as I just feel that, no matter how difficult it might be for Kevin and you to be separated for awhile, it would be very good for him in the long run.

Hugs,

Cathy M

Long-time RN said...

Great to read the BMAC appointment went well. Kevin has made some amazing strides,and you'll know if and when the time is right for further therapies within the setting outlined in the link.

Sure hope Breezy is doing OK. Take care and hope you got to finish your book!