Thursday, October 8, 2009

Day 497 - Oct 8, 2009

Well, the drain is in place and things were really good most of the evening. If I would have written this post an hour ago you would have heard how this procedure miraculously fixed Kevin, but a while ago he just started screaming in pain and he was pretty much uncontrollable. He said his ears were making noises inside (told by him touching his ear and saying "ting, ting, ting, ting") and we just couldn't control his pain whatsoever. And you just had to know that his IV chose that moment to quit working so we couldn't even administer IV pain meds. Grrr!

So anyway, I am guessing that the bandage that was wrapped around his head was just too tight. He has not been able to wear anything much on his head for so long due to the pain so the doc took it off and re-bandaged it more loosely than it had been. Between that and the shot in the butt - he is now happily munching on sour skittles and watching a movie.

Matter of fact - here is a photo:



And the surgeon told me earlier that when they cut into Kevin's head today about 200 CCs of bloody fluid streamed all over the bed. That is a whole lot of pressure - once again.

Now hopefully the pain will start receding completely tomorrow. Next we just need that darn bug to go away. The neurosurgeon is discussing starting Kevin on an even stronger antibiotic for MRSA and we will make the final decision on that one tomorrow after he talks to the Infectious Disease docs.

And I guess it's come down to me having to use one of the contacts that I made while in DC. I have been asking to be able to move to a cleaner hotel as this one is so DISGUSTING! They finally scrubbed the carpets a week or two ago (after 3 years) and it now smells so bad like dirty, wet gym socks. It was ok for a couple of days, but it is now back to smelling. Not to mention that if you happen to go barefoot for even a second, your feet turn completely black - and this is after they were scrubbed.

So anyway, our nurse case manager at Ft Stewart told me I could go to a different hotel but there were stipulations and I can't do them because I am not military. My case manager here didn't bother to get back to me today, so I guess I need to call someone to help me out. I cannot take Kevin into such an unclean environment with this drain in his head. I just won't do it.

Ya know...I don't mean to be rude, but I wish these people could go through this just for a week so they would have a real understanding of how they need to really do their job. They are here to help us, but mostly end up causing us more work and way more frustration. We are to be discharged tomorrow and I really don't have anywhere to take Kev yet.

I just know that someone better do something real early in the morning or the shit is gonna hit the fan! Maybe I'll just google our case manager and show up with all our bags at her house tomorrow...wouldn't that be funny?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sure is nice to see Kevin smile. Prayers as always.

Alison said...

Don't be afraid to raise hell to get a clean hotel room for Kevin to stay in. That carpet sounds seriously disgusting and I bet the health department would have a field day if they knew about it. ICK!

I am hoping and praying that the pain continues to go down and that the tight bandage was the problem. Let's get rid of this pain problem and then kick this bug in the a$$!

Stay strong...

Jan said...

Yes that would be funny. :) Make sure to call the news so they can catch it all on tape!

Anonymous said...

I hope your case manager keeps a clean house.

Long-time RN said...

Sure hope to read the hotel situation is resolved. Rattle those cages, Leslie!

Great to see Kevin smiling, even if it's medication induced. Prayers for that bug to be eradicated.

Anonymous said...

Oh Leslie,

You are a lioness. Have you thought of calling your Congressman? Seriously.

Prayers for strength for you and and end to infection for Kevin.

mamaworecombatboots